5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No air bag deployed

ShortStack

Reaction score
That SUCKS !!! Glad you are okay - It almost appears that the point of impact may have completely missed the air bag sensors. I have not yet been under my truck to determine where they are but now I'm really curious. Most of the sensors on cars and most Fords are located close to the bumper mounts if not inside the bumper rail mount point.
Good thing you were in a truck and not a car. Walking away is good thing.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! That is a hard hit and very surprised the Air Bags did not deploy 😳

Godscountryrider

Reaction score
Update. 45k in damage. Includes frame. That was bent. Trucks totald. Msrp was 59k insurance valued truck at 65k. Absolutely crazy inflation!!! Trucks totald.
ALSO FCA investigation determined no airbag deployment was needed. Go figure. I'm sure that's what they tell allll the boys....
Needless to say I have ZERO plans to replace it. Peace ram.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Update. 45k in damage. Includes frame. That was bent. Trucks totald. Msrp was 59k insurance valued truck at 65k. Absolutely crazy inflation!!! Trucks totald.
ALSO FCA investigation determined no airbag deployment was needed. Go figure. I'm sure that's what they tell allll the boys....
Needless to say I have ZERO plans to replace it. Peace ram.
wow... nothing like denying responsibility!

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ouch! Glad you are ok. By the picture, looks like you were definitely over the speed threshold upon impact and the airbag should have deployed. Be interesting to see why it didn't. By all indications from the one pic you sent it should have gone off.
There's no specific "speed threshold" for airbag deployment. What it ultimately comes down to a how abrupt the change in velocity is or "Delta V". If you're driving 100 and hit something causing you to slow down over the course of a mile the airbags are not deploying. However if you're driving 20 and stop instantly you're getting airbags.
Delta V is what it's all about, not the initial speed at impact. These systems have come a LONG way since airbags were fist introduced.

That SUCKS !!! Glad you are okay - It almost appears that the point of impact may have completely missed the air bag sensors. I have not yet been under my truck to determine where they are but now I'm really curious. Most of the sensors on cars and most Fords are located close to the bumper mounts if not inside the bumper rail mount point.
Ha ha, well that's pretty old school right there. The air bag sensors in the bumper are about 20+ years old. Modern airbags are controlled by the ACM (Airbag Control Module) which is typically located somewhere near the vehicle's center of mass, so you're not going to find any sensors under your truck. This module measures speed, braking, steering inputs, seat belt status (on/off) Delta V, yaw, pitch, roll and a whole slew of other items. The readings are monitored and processed in milliseconds the entire time you're driving. If all this data says you're in danger of injury, the air bags go off. That's obviously a simplified version of it but that's the gist.

Not to worry though, "big brother" isn't watching everything you do. All of that data is recorded, but it's like a dvr. If the event isn't locked/saved, it will be overwritten. Some event's are locked some are not. Air bag deployment events are always locked, although looking at the image posted I suspect this was a locked even too.
Technically speaking if you're driving down the road, and hit a pot hole, you could read the data which will show that pot hole contact. That's not a serious enough event to lock the data so it will be overwritten by the next event (although some ACM's store 2 events so you may need 2 following events to erase the pot hole).

OP, did they happen to give you a pdf of the data? I'd be happy to look at and let you know what I see if they did.

Godscountryrider

Reaction score
There's no specific "speed threshold" for airbag deployment. What it ultimately comes down to a how abrupt the change in velocity is or "Delta V". If you're driving 100 and hit something causing you to slow down over the course of a mile the airbags are not deploying. However if you're driving 20 and stop instantly you're getting airbags.
Delta V is what it's all about, not the initial speed at impact. These systems have come a LONG way since airbags were fist introduced.

Ha ha, well that's pretty old school right there. The air bag sensors in the bumper are about 20+ years old. Modern airbags are controlled by the ACM (Airbag Control Module) which is typically located somewhere near the vehicle's center of mass, so you're not going to find any sensors under your truck. This module measures speed, braking, steering inputs, seat belt status (on/off) Delta V, yaw, pitch, roll and a whole slew of other items. The readings are monitored and processed in milliseconds the entire time you're driving. If all this data says you're in danger of injury, the air bags go off. That's obviously a simplified version of it but that's the gist.

Not to worry though, "big brother" isn't watching everything you do. All of that data is recorded, but it's like a dvr. If the event isn't locked/saved, it will be overwritten. Some event's are locked some are not. Air bag deployment events are always locked, although looking at the image posted I suspect this was a locked even too.
Technically speaking if you're driving down the road, and hit a pot hole, you could read the data which will show that pot hole contact. That's not a serious enough event to lock the data so it will be overwritten by the next event (although some ACM's store 2 events so you may need 2 following events to erase the pot hole).

OP, did they happen to give you a pdf of the data? I'd be happy to look at and let you know what I see if they did.
No pdf was offered. The statement was based on deceleration rate. Which is odd because I stopped very very instantly lol. But whatever. Thanks though

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spraind a wrist. Hit my face off steering wheel. Blew blood vessels in my eye..
Glad the system determined that an airbag deployment wasn't necessary to protect you. I hate to say this, but you might have a lawsuit here. Seriously, the damage done to the truck shows that the impact was severe and dead center. The "velocity" mentioned is extreme when coming to a complete stop, from speed, instantly. You need to protect yourself and your family. Ask for a copy of the "black box" data and have it analyzed by a professional.

I lemon lawed a 2018 F150 because of the dangers in acceleration due to their learning transmission. After driving in stop and go traffic, I accelerated to get on the highway and the truck decided to hesitate almost 2 full seconds, thinking I was going to brake again. The BBB arbitrator mentioned to Ford that he witnessed this on a test drive with me. They said it was performing "as designed". The arbitrator told Ford that they had a design flaw and awarded me the lemon law claim, forcing Ford to pay all fees and buy me out of that truck.

You might have uncovered a programming flaw in the logic that determines if airbags get deployed or not. I wouldn't let this go.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Based on the relatively minor injuries he sustained, he might have been worse off had the airbags deployed. Sounds like seatbelt did it's job, and computers determined airbags weren't needed.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Glad you're okay, similar thing happened to me about 18yrs ago. Totaled the car and the airbags never went off. Got into a fight with a guard rail at about 70-80. I think because of the angle I hit, the airbags never deployed. Not a scratch on me. Got lucky though, bought the car for 6k they totaled it for 9 lol. FB_IMG_1645826343073.jpg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No pdf was offered. The statement was based on deceleration rate. Which is odd because I stopped very very instantly lol. But whatever. Thanks though
... The "velocity" mentioned is extreme when coming to a complete stop, from speed, instantly. ...
Well technically the stop wasn't "instant". Abrupt, yes, but from a purely scientific standpoint, it was over a distance, not instantly. The other thing to consider is that while the truck is dispersing speed/energy as it crumples, the occupant(s) is/are dispersing speed/energy as the seat belt gives a little (if you're wearing it). Yes, seat belts give a little. Not much, but under crash loads they do yield a bit. Some seat belts have a folded portion near the base that is designed to break away in a crash. This takes away a little force, and the subsequent extension also gives a little more stopping distance.
All that said. I agree with you about getting a copy of the data and having it looked at by an independent person. There's no harm in getting another set of eyes on it.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I had to take a SWAG at it, I'd estimate an impact speed of roughly 18 mph. That's not the speed I think you were driving, that's about how fast it looks like the truck was moving when it contacted the tree after skidding/furrowing. This is assuming the tree didn't move, and absorb some energy too.
From what I can tell in the photo it looks like the damage doesn't really extend beyond the radiator support. Hood (aluminum or sheet metal designed to buckle), grille (plastic) and radiator (aluminum). The only substantial component I see damaged is the bumper, and those are designed to bend/crumple too. There may be some more substantial structures damaged, but the point is, it doesn't look like a high speed impact.
From the driver's seat I'm sure it felt extremely violent and fast. I'm certainly not implying it wasn't substantial because that's quite a bit of damage. I'm just saying that area of the truck is designed to do exactly what it did, which is fold/break to reduce impact forces on the driver. Should the air bag have deployed? Hard to say from 1 photo.

bhurlbert

Reaction score
My son was leaving thru the parking lot at church. Then, a Honda Odyssey backed rather quickly into the main thoroughfare driveway of the church parking lot. My son had about 2 seconds between the time the guy started backing and the time of the impact. The minivan's side airbags went off, but they did NOT in my RAM. It busted the radiator on the RAM and pushed the bumper into the tire. Again, seems like a big enough frontal impact to set off the airbags??

IMG_2713.JPG
IMG_2728.JPG

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
People complaining, or commenting saying the air bags should have deployed just don't understand the complex system that they are. There are far more calculations happening to determine if air bags should deploy or not than most could comprehend. You dont want the airbags to deploy unless absolutely necessary. they can actually cause more injuries, by deploying, than you received in the accident when they didn't deploy. If you walked away, then they definitely didn't need to deploy.

kzielu

Reaction score
I am not sure why anyone actually wants airbags to deploy. They hurt, badly and they're there to save life. OP of this thread has sprained wrist. Like mentioned above, he would be worse off. Why TF owner in the minivan accident wants and airbag to deploy I have absolutely no clue. Did something happen to the driver ? Was he injured ? Airbag burns hurt.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I also have thought about the airbags injuring you. If there was an imminent crash, you put your hand on the horn and the airbag went off, it would break your arm. Maybe the horn activation needs to be redesigned?

JONNYCUTTER#69

Reaction score
I had a Honda Odyssey and was stopped on the interstate and watched a Ferrari come out of his lane and rear-ended me causing me to hit the car in front of me then a car rear ended him and he hit me again. My Odyssey was totaled the Ferrari was not identifiable it was so damaged. I asked the same question why no air bags. The cop explained to me it is the angle in which you get hit. The Ferrari had to have been doing 60 when he hit me. It was quite an impact from him my front doors would not open. My car crumpled the way it was supposed to and I walked away fine. That's how it was explained to me

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The air bags deployed in my 93 oldsmobile no problem. Car was sliding for at least 5 seconds with brakes completely locked up (breaks worked great tires not so much). The aig bag was just a bag with a small amount of air in it, and it didn't stop me from snapping the top 1/3 of my steering wheel in half with my forehead. My face hurt for a couple of hours then was good LOL.

People that say air bags cause more damage then harm I just don't understand. Neither situation isil ideal but I want to believe the air bags going off would help assuming no kids or midgets are in your car.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The air bags deployed in my 93 oldsmobile no problem. Car was sliding for at least 5 seconds with brakes completely locked up (breaks worked great tires not so much). The aig bag was just a bag with a small amount of air in it, and it didn't stop me from snapping the top 1/3 of my steering wheel in half with my forehead. My face hurt for a couple of hours then was good LOL.

People that say air bags cause more damage then harm I just don't understand. Neither situation isil ideal but I want to believe the air bags going off would help assuming no kids or midgets are in your car.
Comparing an airbag from a 93 model year to current ones isn't really apples to apples. Most people I've talked to, if the steering wheel airbag deploys, most of the time you will end up with a broken nose regardless of how severe the actual accident is, just from the force of the airbag.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not sure why anyone actually wants airbags to deploy. They hurt, badly and they're there to save life. OP of this thread has sprained wrist. Like mentioned above, he would be worse off. Why TF owner in the minivan accident wants and airbag to deploy I have absolutely no clue. Did something happen to the driver ? Was he injured ? Airbag burns hurt.
I still see a lot of people letting their passenger (a lot of time children) in the front seat ride with their feet up on the dash, that has to be the dumbest most dangerous thing anyone can do.

Av1

Reaction score
Comparing an airbag from a 93 model year to current ones isn't really apples to apples. Most people I've talked to, if the steering wheel airbag deploys, most of the time you will end up with a broken nose regardless of how severe the actual accident is, just from the force of the airbag.
Agreed. A friend of mine had his face wrecked from steering wheel airbag deployment. He looked really bad.

My son was hit by a drunk and all of his airbags went off. He was just sore with no visible injury. You never know.

I want my airbags to deploy only if it is absolutely necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online