5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 12 volt power coming from 7 pin connector

Bubba11

Reaction score
2019 Ram Big Horn Quad Cab, i have a winch on my trailer that i use for winching up dead golf carts. when i plug into the 7 pin connector i have no power to operate the winch. i have read that all 7 pin connectors are wired the same no difference of manufactures . my friend hase a 2014 chevy and the winch works with his 7 pin, am i missing a fuse or something else

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
7 pin power works good on my truck, no fuse required. Maybe there is a fuse for it but it’s isn’t able to provide enough amps for the winch and it blew.

Boston

Reaction score
Don’t try to run the winch off the trailer 7 pin. Nowhere need the power available. You need to have a battery on the trailer. The trailer wiring will be able to trickle recharge it. Solar panel helps to.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get up to 15 amps of power from my 7 pin connector, even at idle. I see the the amps produced/drawn using a Victron battery monitor in the trailer, very accurate.

I don’t have a winch but my power tongue jack only draws 3.5 amps. The big slide room on my camper uses 12 amps while moving. Not sure how much a winch would draw.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
2019 Ram Big Horn Quad Cab, i have a winch on my trailer that i use for winching up dead golf carts. when i plug into the 7 pin connector i have no power to operate the winch. i have read that all 7 pin connectors are wired the same no difference of manufactures . my friend hase a 2014 chevy and the winch works with his 7 pin, am i missing a fuse or something else
No clue when but somehow my 7 pin got disconnected. From right behind the bumper. The cables have a connector that actually plugs into the 7 pin hub. Check to see if the main hub is disconnected from the cables on the back of the bumper.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s a separate 30a fuse for the power lead on the 7 pin...
Replaced mine with a 40a toggle circuit breaker, so I could turn the power off to the travel trailer. I also use a small winch (intermittently) with no problem.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck plug only accepts the trailer plug (used with my other vehicles) inserted maybe a 1/16 of an inch. Truck plug door does capture the trailer plug. Anybody else have that problem? I didn't want to try to use the heavier power or even the trailer brakes with so little contact. Any suggestions?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck plug only accepts the trailer plug (used with my other vehicles) inserted maybe a 1/16 of an inch. Truck plug door does capture the trailer plug. Anybody else have that problem? I didn't want to try to use the heavier power or even the trailer brakes with so little contact. Any suggestions?
A pic of it plugged in, and maybe one of the business end of the trailer plug, might help us help...
Havent had this issue with my trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread