5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night Edition Hood Vents/"water buckets"

ckepka004

Reaction score
Picked up a New 1500 Limited w/ the Night Edition package last week. Washed it for the first time yesterday and I realized the "hood vents" or lack there of, became buckets and held all the soap and water, which I didn't notice until I pulled out of the driveway and went it all over the hood.

1st world problem, but does anyone else have that same issue? I think it's ridiculous we pay a good chunk of money for water traps on the hood.

Thoughts...Solutions?

Thanks!

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're not alone.
It's a source of frustration for me too.

ckepka004

Reaction score
I might fill them up with water and drill some more hole.... gotta see where it routes the water under the hood first. My biggest fear is coming out of a car wash and then there's soap and water on my hood and I'm no where close to being able to clean it off and it damages the clear coat/paint. :-/

bocco

Reaction score
I might fill them up with water and drill some more hole.... gotta see where it routes the water under the hood first. My biggest fear is coming out of a car wash and then there's soap and water on my hood and I'm no where close to being able to clean it off and it damages the clear coat/paint. :-/
I would be more concerned about the car wash itself.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been using a leaf blower for years. My wife bought it for me. She calls it my car blow drier.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting that your wife bought the leaf blower for you. Does she help with the washing and drying? What about her Ram? Who keeps that clean?:unsure:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting that your wife bought the leaf blower for you. Does she help with the washing and drying? What about her Ram? Who keeps that clean?:unsure:
Well, when she gave it to me she wasn't driving anything worth washing LOL. But I get your point :ROFLMAO:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Picked up a New 1500 Limited w/ the Night Edition package last week. Washed it for the first time yesterday and I realized the "hood vents" or lack there of, became buckets and held all the soap and water, which I didn't notice until I pulled out of the driveway and went it all over the hood.

1st world problem, but does anyone else have that same issue? I think it's ridiculous we pay a good chunk of money for water traps on the hood.

Thoughts...Solutions?

Thanks!
Trade hoods with another forum member who has a normal hood, I'm sure there are plenty that would jump at the offer

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I use a leaf blower to blow off the majority of the water on my truck before I dry it with a towel. I'm sure that would blow the water out of the hood vents.
You do this every time it rains? That sucks. :cautious:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
To get the bucket of water out. Passing shower today at my house would have filled them up just before the sun came out.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found a few options that work great. Obviously the leaf blower is a great option for getting water out of the grill, bumper areas, around headlights, etc., so that will eliminate water from a lot of areas. The second option for the hood is to lift the hood while you're drying the rest of the truck. That will allow the water to drain out. Then dry the hood. Lastly, I bought RV water filters that attach to the hose. I found that I no longer get dried hard water spots when I wash. Any dried water spots just wipe right off with the towel. I think I paid $30 for 2 of them on Amazon.

ckepka004

Reaction score
I found a few options that work great. Obviously the leaf blower is a great option for getting water out of the grill, bumper areas, around headlights, etc., so that will eliminate water from a lot of areas. The second option for the hood is to lift the hood while you're drying the rest of the truck. That will allow the water to drain out. Then dry the hood. Lastly, I bought RV water filters that attach to the hose. I found that I no longer get dried hard water spots when I wash. Any dried water spots just wipe right off with the towel. I think I paid $30 for 2 of them on Amazon.
Scott,
thanks for the filter tip, i'll have to take a look. I'm truly more concerned, and I know this is "1st world problem" but if I go through the car wash there's going to be soapy water trapped in the hood vents and then it's going to end up on my truck.... can't ask for another pass through w/o soap... :) I don't want the soap to, overtime, to mess up the clear coat/paint.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
As stated I have the vents I use my echo backpack blower that has a gutter cleaning extension and blow them out after washing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've tried a couple different filters but they don't seem to help much. Do you have a link to the filters you used?

HemiDude

Reaction score
I also use those RV filters. They have done surprisingly well for me, and they last almost an entire summer

Users who are viewing this thread