5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Ram 1500 TRX Could Be Packing Twin-Turbo Hurricane Power!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Next Ram 1500 TRX Could Be Packing Twin-Turbo Hurricane Power!​

Source States Ram Is Testing Hurricane Engines In TRX Trucks...​

1685297513226.png

With the impending end of production for the popular supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® HELLCAT V8 engine, Ram enthusiasts have been eagerly speculating about the future of the Ram 1500 TRX performance off-roader. Ram CEO, Mike Koval Jr., has hinted at the possibility of electrification as an alternative powertrain for the TRX.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Based on pre-production build sheets, it appears that MY2024 will still have the Hellcat. 2025’s, on the other hand, look to be Hurricanes.

RamOwner313

Reaction score
Based on pre-production build sheets, it appears that MY2024 will still have the Hellcat. 2025’s, on the other hand, look to be Hurricanes.
Do you think when they change the engine they will adjust the pricing or stay at around 84k starting out? I can't see them charging that much for a base TRX without any features and only 510 hp. While the base raptor with a lot more features and 450 hp is only 76k.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, 200hp less? Ouch. TRX is not a fitting name for that. That being said, I’m intrigued.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, 200hp less? Ouch. TRX is not a fitting name for that. That being said, I’m intrigued.
Nobody really knows if the Hurricane will be just the HO 510hp version, or if they will juice it up some for the TRX. I can't imagine they'd have that much draw to a TRX that doesn't make any more power than a regular Ram

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So let me get this straight....

Ford took the V8 out of the Raptor and replaced it with a turbo-6. Fans immediately started to complain. Ram then releases a direct competitor to the Raptor with V8 power and steals a TON of Raptor sales. Ford reluctantly then responds by dropping a new Raptor R which once again has a V8 to try and keep up with Ram. And now Ram is ditching their V8 for a turbo-6??

Do what?

Stellantis is run by complete idiots.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Complete joke. I can't imagine not getting a V8 in a Ram ever again. I don't even want an etorque. I made sure of that.

brewdad

Reaction score
Complete joke. I can't imagine not getting a V8 in a Ram ever again. I don't even want an etorque. I made sure of that.
I completely agree about the e-Torque. When I found out the 2023 MY Ram would be V8 eTorque only, I ordered my 2022 Limited in May 2022. I wanted the Rebel trim, but the day I ordered the Rebel was already eTorque only but the Limited trim was still available with the standard Hemi.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn’t it possible they’re just adding a 2nd engine option, just like the Raptor has? If so that’s just smart I’d say.

But ya if the V8 is gone that’s dumb. This is their halo product.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Isn’t it possible they’re just adding a 2nd engine option, just like the Raptor has? If so that’s just smart I’d say.

But ya if the V8 is gone that’s dumb. This is their halo product.

I think they said the HC engine is being phased out by 23', so there won't be that option for any vehicle in the Stellantis line

It's going to likely be a Hurricane H.O. with some form of hybrid electrification in the TRX for 24' and later.

Unlike Ford and GM, who both are still keeping V8 engines for the next gen of products, Stellantis is not, they are going all in on the Hurricane for ICE and EV. This is at least for the 1500 class trucks and lower. The HD line will likely keep a V8 gas option and diesels.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Mopar has already announced a HurriCrate Cat X is on the way with over 1,000 HO.

So yes, you’ll lose two cylinders, but no, you won’t lose 200 HO. You might gain 300…or more.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Mopar has already announced a HurriCrate Cat X is on the way with over 1,000 HO.

So yes, you’ll lose two cylinders, but no, you won’t lose 200 HO. You might gain 300…or more.
Unlikely that would come in a TRX.
That sounds more on par with the Hellephant which is offered as a crate engine, thus the name "HurriCRATE".

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unlikely that would come in a TRX.
That sounds more on par with the Hellephant which is offered as a crate engine, thus the name "HurriCRATE".
The point is, there are more powerful Hurricanes in the works. Maybe not 1000+ HP, but I doubt that the Hurricane TRX will be limited to 510 HP. My bet is it’ll be well above 702.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The point is, there are more powerful Hurricanes in the works. Maybe not 1000+ HP, but I doubt that the Hurricane TRX will be limited to 510 HP. My bet is it’ll be well above 702.
I can get down with that. I don’t want electrification though.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I can get down with that. I don’t want electrification though.

Hybrid or EV?

Because hybrid with a strong gas engine is actually pretty cool, supercars are doing it not for improved efficiency but better overall power & performance. The fact you can drive fully electric if you want and that it gets better mileage is just an added bonus.

Imagine a TRX with a high hp engine and a supplemental hybrid electric to give it more power. But then you can go fully electric when running to the shops or not waking up your neighbors early in the morning.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
But…the whole point of owning a TRX is to wake up the neighbors early in the morning.

You can wake up the neighbors with a Civic, especially with the wrong kind of exhaust :)

I suspect with the right exhaust, you can do it with a Hurricane as well. But you got options, you don't have to take off in EV mode (in our theoretical future TRX).

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Hybrid or EV?

Because hybrid with a strong gas engine is actually pretty cool, supercars are doing it not for improved efficiency but better overall power & performance. The fact you can drive fully electric if you want and that it gets better mileage is just an added bonus.

Imagine a TRX with a high hp engine and a supplemental hybrid electric to give it more power. But then you can go fully electric when running to the shops or not waking up your neighbors early in the morning.
Agreed - the fastest race cars are hybrids. Five years ago the Porsche 919 Hybrid shattered the Nurburgring record by almost a minute. All the top dogs are moving to hybrid now.

Users who are viewing this thread