5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McRaM#03

Reaction score
I am considering a Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab with 3.0 diesel for towing a trailer (5,000 lbs empty: max, 7,000 lbs) but 90 % + of driving will be without the trailer. What MPG can I expect for truck alone and MPG with trailer? If I buy used, are any years better than others? Thanks!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, if you're looking for a 5th gen ram with the 3.0 you'll most likely need to buy new as they haven't been out for long.

Depending on the gears (3.21 vs 3.92) you can expect probably 26-28MPG when empty and probably 16-18mpg when towing (depends on size of trailer and wind resistance)

I just posted a thread in the diesel forum on my recent MPG. So far I'm very impressed with the truck.

BamaEngineer

Reaction score
I just made a 500+ mile trip from Florida to Alabama with no trailer. I averaged 31 mpg with the cruise set at 74. This is per the vehicle computer. I think it was probably closer to 29 but I haven’t filled up yet to check.

2020 Laramie EcoDiesel 2WD - Billet Silver
Bone stock!

Users who are viewing this thread