5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with a question about Dodge Ram Black Aluminum Tailgate Bed Extender Mopar OEM by Mopar

Rupp

Reaction score
Guys,
I bought and received a new Ram tailgate bed extender for my 2020 Ram. I thought it would come with a template but rather it mentions mounting it using the indentions already in the side wall just in front of the tail gate. The issue is mine came with the spray in bed liner and these "indentions" are not visible. Can someone with this extender give me a measurement from the top of the bed down to the top of the hinges so I can get the hinge mounted close to the factory location? I know I can eye it out but I'm afraid I'll start drilling and the holes with be near and the bit will slide into the indentions if I'm not careful. Any help would be appreciated.

Rupp

Rupp

Reaction score
Ok, I just eyed it and used a level to get it close. The distance from the top of the bed rail to the top of the bracket was 10.5 inches. Here are a few pics in case anyone else is interested. So far I really like this device. I was able to haul gas tonight and not have it slide all over the back with just one bungee.

20201015_180845_resized.jpg 20201015_180856_resized.jpg 20201015_180839_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Rupp

Reaction score
I put the AMP research one on my truck (same as MOPAR). The AMP research came with a template.
Yea, I was going to go for the AMP research offering but I found mine on Craig's list for $100. I went and looked at it and it was brand new in the box. I went to AMP Researchs web site and downloaded the template and tried to use that but in the end I just leveled it and installed. It was a very simple install now that it's done.

hydrant328

Reaction score
Ok, I just eyed it and used a level to get it close. The distance from the top of the bed rail to the top of the bracket was 10.5 inches. Here are a few pics in case anyone else is interested. So far I really like this device. I was able to haul gas tonight and not have it slide all over the back with just one bungee.

View attachment 71874 View attachment 71875 View attachment 71876
Does it lock down when in the bed or bounce up and down? I had one in a f150 that had a locking pin on each side for when stored or in use.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it lock down when in the bed or bounce up and down? I had one in a f150 that had a locking pin on each side for when stored or in use.
Does not lock like the F150 does. It does not fold into the bed sides like the F150 either. I have mine under a hard tonneau when not in use, and works great preventing items from flying forward under braking. This is the same way I utilized my F150 extender 90% of the time.

WiolyWonka

Reaction score
I put the AMP research one on my truck (same as MOPAR). The AMP research came with a template.
Can you tell me the model number of the AMP extender? I have a 2020 Laramie DT but couldn’t find a model that fits. The AMP HD has a better rectangular shape compared to the Mopar one, am I wrong?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you tell me the model number of the AMP extender? I have a 2020 Laramie DT but couldn’t find a model that fits. The AMP HD has a better rectangular shape compared to the Mopar one, am I wrong?
I actually went with the HD Sport (the V shape) because I liked the look better. The HD Max is more squared off in the corners. I bought model 74830-00A. Here are the RAM DT Models: https://www.amp-research.com/bedxtenders/2019/ram/1500.

Users who are viewing this thread