5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Question

rsfdevil

Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gents,

First post here. I recently purchased a slightly preowned 2019 Ram 1500 lifted with 38’s and a 6” Fab Tech suspension. Only put about a couple hundred miles on it and I am getting used to the truck and it’s idiosyncrasies.

The verdict is still out for me on whether or not I want to keep the 38’s as they are really big for toying around town. I love the truck otherwise. Very aggressive and intimidating as its approaching. I believe the former owner had an account on here who did all the work.

I am having an issue with the push button start. Every time I turn off the truck it goes into ACC mode, instead of turning off. It is really annoying and I don’t know what is causing it. The only way to get it to turn all the way off before I leave the truck is to wait 5 seconds, push it again and it goes to RUN, and then wait about 5 more seconds and push it again and THEN it turns OFF.

Anybody have any feedback on this or have the same issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Are you putting the truck in park?

Stupid question I know but theres been a few times I've derped out and the truck will auto swap the knob to park and stay in ACC

rsfdevil

Reaction score
Lol yes it was definitely in park. This happens every time I try to turn off truck, in park.

rsfdevil

Reaction score
Has anybody had this trying to avoid taking into my dealer and wasting the time?

Does anybody think it could be a fuse or relay? If so, which one would it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody had this trying to avoid taking into my dealer and wasting the time?

Does anybody think it could be a fuse or relay? If so, which one would it be?

Sounds like software, probably can be remedied with a reflash. Just like @Reduxalicious said, its behaving exactly the way it does when if you turn the truck off while still in drive which makes me think that the truck still thinks it's in gear even thought its actually in park. When you put the truck in park does the yellow light come on above the P on the shift dial, and does the truck also display that its in Park in the instrument cluster? The P should light up white and the other gears should be displayed in grey. Last question is your speedometer calibrated for the larger tires? If so when the truck was recalibrated for the different tire size it may have messed something up in the software. It doesn't happen to everyone but multiple people have reported issues after using different tuners/programmers to change factory settings, issues vary from traction control no longer working, check engine lights coming on and other odd behavior post programming, your's may be a symptom of a "programming gremlin" resulting from a tire recal. If you have any form a programmer on the truck, I'd put it back to factory and see if that remedies your issue if not take it into the dealer and have them figure it out.

rsfdevil

Reaction score
Sounds like software, probably can be remedied with a reflash. Just like @Reduxalicious said, its behaving exactly the way it does when if you turn the truck off while still in drive which makes me think that the truck still thinks it's in gear even thought its actually in park. When you put the truck in park does the yellow light come on above the P on the shift dial, and does the truck also display that its in Park in the instrument cluster? The P should light up white and the other gears should be displayed in grey. Last question is your speedometer calibrated for the larger tires? If so when the truck was recalibrated for the different tire size it may have messed something up in the software. It doesn't happen to everyone but multiple people have reported issues after using different tuners/programmers to change factory settings, issues vary from traction control no longer working, check engine lights coming on and other odd behavior post programming, your's may be a symptom of a "programming gremlin" resulting from a tire recal. If you have any form a programmer on the truck, I'd put it back to factory and see if that remedies your issue if not take it into the dealer and have them figure it out.

Well said. It is showing a P in the dash when I am in Park and attempt to push the on/off button. It just doesn't go to off and instead goes to ACC. The prior owner put a Pulsar "piggyback" unit on the truck. I called the folks over at Edge (who make the Pulsar) and spoke with Tech support a few days ago and they said: "we've never heard of that happening". They gave me an RMA number to return the unit and have them check it out on their bench. I think I may need to do that but I'm just trying to avoid that if I can at all cost. The Tire Sizes and gears were not in there and then I put them in. It reflashed but didn't solve the problem. I also detached the negative to the battery for about 2 minutes but that didn't solve the problem either. Maybe I need to do it longer??

The prior owner also put on a Sprint Booster V3 but I am not sure if this is causing it either. I am inclined at this point to detach both and see if that resolves the problem as you suggested.

I guess a question for the forum is has anybody had these issues with either 1) the Pulsar unit or 2) Spring Booster V3?

And does anybody think it could be a relay or a fuse as both would likely be easier than taking out the Pulsar and/or Sprint Booster V3?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well said. It is showing a P in the dash when I am in Park and attempt to push the on/off button. It just doesn't go to off and instead goes to ACC. The prior owner put a Pulsar "piggyback" unit on the truck. I called the folks over at Edge (who make the Pulsar) and spoke with Tech support a few days ago and they said: "we've never heard of that happening". They gave me an RMA number to return the unit and have them check it out on their bench. I think I may need to do that but I'm just trying to avoid that if I can at all cost. The Tire Sizes and gears were not in there and then I put them in. It reflashed but didn't solve the problem. I also detached the negative to the battery for about 2 minutes but that didn't solve the problem either. Maybe I need to do it longer??

The prior owner also put on a Sprint Booster V3 but I am not sure if this is causing it either. I am inclined at this point to detach both and see if that resolves the problem as you suggested.

I guess a question for the forum is has anybody had these issues with either 1) the Pulsar unit or 2) Spring Booster V3?

And does anybody think it could be a relay or a fuse as both would likely be easier than taking out the Pulsar and/or Sprint Booster V3?
Not likely a fuse or relay, there however is an actuator on the dial selector. This actuator is responsible for locking the dial in place when the truck is in Park to prevent the truck from being shifted into drive without applying the brake. With the truck in the running if it is quiet enough you can hear the actuator pull in and out when you press the brake pedal if you hold the dial on my truck you can actually feel the mechanism engage and disengage when pressing the brake. Perhaps there is a contact or limit switch of some sort that lets the truck know the dial is locked and it's not getting the signal?

rsfdevil

Reaction score
Not likely a fuse or relay, there however is an actuator on the dial selector. This actuator is responsible for locking the dial in place when the truck is in Park to prevent the truck from being shifted into drive without applying the brake. With the truck in the running if it is quiet enough you can hear the actuator pull in and out when you press the brake pedal if you hold the dial on my truck you can actually feel the mechanism engage and disengage when pressing the brake. Perhaps there is a contact or limit switch of some sort that lets the truck know the dial is locked and it's not getting the signal?
Interesting. Could be a limit switch like you said. I wonder if that is part of the power pedal recall? I think I need to call the deal and ask if mine was done or not.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Could be a limit switch like you said. I wonder if that is part of the power pedal recall? I think I need to call the deal and ask if mine was done or not.
The pedal recall, they just add a spacer and and clamp to prevent the pedal from over traveling and coming out of its track. Purely a mechanical fix, nothing electrical is involved. The part I'm referring to is part of the transmission dial itself. I doubt this is the issue though because when you press the brake it disengages the lock mechanism but as long as the truck is in park you can hit the off button and the truck fully shuts down, everything keeps pointing to a bug in the software.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gents,

First post here. I recently purchased a slightly preowned 2019 Ram 1500 lifted with 38’s and a 6” Fab Tech suspension. Only put about a couple hundred miles on it and I am getting used to the truck and it’s idiosyncrasies.

The verdict is still out for me on whether or not I want to keep the 38’s as they are really big for toying around town. I love the truck otherwise. Very aggressive and intimidating as its approaching. I believe the former owner had an account on here who did all the work.

I am having an issue with the push button start. Every time I turn off the truck it goes into ACC mode, instead of turning off. It is really annoying and I don’t know what is causing it. The only way to get it to turn all the way off before I leave the truck is to wait 5 seconds, push it again and it goes to RUN, and then wait about 5 more seconds and push it again and THEN it turns OFF.

Anybody have any feedback on this or have the same issue?

Long shot but since you are looking for a possible solution.
I had an issue where truck will not start with the foot on the brake pedal from single button push and I believe I had same issue with off sequence. I had one of the five grounds loose under the hood, a different one from Power steering ground. Tightened ground and it was starting right away.
Mat be check all five ground lids and reset battery by disconnecting.

rsfdevil

Reaction score
Got it. Sounds reasonable. Will check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread