5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie...potential newbie wanting to say hello.......

dearmosd

Reaction score
Good morning Ram community, I wanted to say hello as I am a potential 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab 4x4 with the 5.7 HEMI/eTorque combo, 6'4" bed and air ride suspension owner looking for feedback on forum like this trying to inform myself before ditching my GM and moving over to the Ram side of the world.

I currently have a 2018 Suburban Primer RST with a 5.3L engine/70k miles and although it has served its purpose in transporting the family to and from vacations spots with minor towing over the past 5 years I have learned may things that are pushing me away from keeping my Suburban. Some things that are annoying me that are making me ditch my ride are
-Suspension is ROUGH, I have the Magnetic Ride Control system up front that allows me to feel every bump in the road. I have air ride in the rear and that system isn't that bad.
-Transmission is slowly feeling weaker, although not slipping is surges under towing and up hills that has me worried.
-22" wheels add to the discomfort in ride quality.
-Lack of rear cup holders for passengers
-Interior noise with wind and going over bumps is getting louder by the mileage

Some things I wanted to investigate on the Ram forum is build quality of the vehicle itself but also:
-5.7 HEMI engine reliability
-8HP75 transmission reliability
-Air Ride suspension reliability (life span to consider replacement parts versus conventional shocks/struts)
-Electronic reliability (non 12" screen combo)
-Overall any other build quality concerns. My sister in-law has a Pacifica and overall nice car but the damn hood is rusting under the paint....huge quality flaw IMO)

Any feedback of Ram owners appreciated.

Quint

Reaction score
The 5.7L is a great engine. The big things that you listed are all non-issues. Electronics I think last as long as any other brand, which in my opinion is not long enough.

Ram trucks have their issues just like any vehicle. Snoop around the forum enough and you'll see complaints about leaks through the rear window, the Hemi lifter tick, or other issues. I'm on my second Ram having come over from Ford products and couldn't be happier. Just remember that you are buying a truck that has been used for 2-3 years. It could have been treated like dirt. As long as you aren't towing super-heavy trailers with that Laramie you should be fine. Most boats or camping trailers will be just fine behind it. I never feel that I am towing any of my trailers.

themust

Reaction score
Had a 19 Laramie that I finally sold to my sister. Zero issues! Replaced tires, changed the oils and all other required maintenance. Replaced with 21 limited that currently has about 40k miles. Way more electronics, leather, moonroof, air ride, etorque etc so I do anticipate I will have issues somewhere along the road. But this is the best vehicle I have ever owned in my 58 years! (BMWs, Volvos, Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, Mazda, Cadillac, mustang etc). You won’t regret the move. Welcome to the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online