5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie looking into 2020 Ram 2020

flcusat

Reaction score
Good morning fellas, first post here.
I found this forum trying to find information on the 2020 RAM 1500. I currently own a 2016 F-150 Sport which has served me very well, and I won't hesitate to get a 2020 or 2021 F-150, but Ford hasn't changed much the F-150 since I got this 2016, and it is outdated compared to the RAM 1500.
I'm not new to the RAM either. I have had previously a 2006 Laramie ( had some transmission issues around 2010) and a 2012 Sport which I loved, but I was rear-ended after like 3-4 months of use, and after the repair, I got rid of it, because the truck didn't drive the same way than before, and even when they replaced the whole driver seat mechanism that was damaged in the accident, there was something in the seat that didn't feel right. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was, but it felt weird.
So now I'm in the market for a new truck and the 2020 RAM 1500 it is on the top of my list, but I heard some rumors of issues with it, although every single person that mentioned that the RAM had issues, hasn't been able to tell me exactly what the issues are, so it might be just rumors from issues in the past.
So I would like to hear from you guys if there are some known issues that I should be aware of it before jumping back into the RAM wagon once again.
Thanks in advance.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I found this forum trying to find information on the 2020 RAM 1500. I currently own a 2016 F-150 Sport which has served me very well, and I won't hesitate to get a 2020 or 2021 F-150, but Ford hasn't changed much the F-150 since I got this 2016, and it is outdated compared to the RAM 1500.
I'm not new to the RAM either. I have had previously a 2006 Laramie ( had some transmission issues around 2010) and a 2012 Sport which I loved, but I was rear-ended after like 3-4 months of use, and after the repair, I got rid of it, because the truck didn't drive the same way than before, and even when they replaced the whole driver seat mechanism that was damaged in the accident, there was something in the seat that didn't feel right. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was, but it felt weird.
So now I'm in the market for a new truck and the 2020 RAM 1500 it is on the top of my list, but I heard some rumors of issues with it, although every single person that mentioned that the RAM had issues, hasn't been able to tell me exactly what the issues are, so it might be just rumors from issues in the past.
So I would like to hear from you guys if there are some known issues that I should be aware of it before jumping back into the RAM wagon once again.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome. You’ll find some “themes” of issues if you spend time perusing this forum. But I, for one, am very pleased with my Longhorn after two years of ownership...and I have pretty high expectations. Best of luck!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought a 2020 Ram Big Horn Hemi with eTorque 4WD about 2 months ago. It might still be too new for me, but I've not had a single issue.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
End of November will be 2 years and now has 20,000 miles, only real complaint is the 8" Nav cost was $800, crapped out and lost 1 1/2 years of destinations but was able to restart, plus takes me off the highway at times and gives local directions.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took delivery early December 2018, Around 24,000 miles now.
Rebel, no etorque, yada yada

Love it. Only complaint? Exhaust was too quiet!
I'm changing out the duratrac tires out of curiosity, they have been adequate.

Honestly I can't recommend the truck enough, I have no intention of ever selling it.

BaseballDad

Reaction score
Have had mine since 11/19. Love it. Only problem has been the cracks in rear window frame and leak which I haven't had fixed yet. Best vehicle I've owned though.

Jeff B

Reaction score
Bought my 2020 Bighorn 4x4 crew sport 2 months ago. Absolutely love the truck, previously owned an F150 ..still can't understand how their 1 truck in US , the thing was awful engine was nauseating (5.0)

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two years and 12,000 miles later, no issues on my Bighorn Sport.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Bighorn bought brand new last October. Love the truck but yes I’ve had issues:

1500 miles.. brake booster went out after a heavy braking effort to avoid a deer. Replaced under factory warranty.

3500 miles... tranny got stuck in 3rd gear and limped home. Dealer replaced tranny valve under factory warranty.

10,500 miles.. noticed that the drivers side mirror was somewhat loose and vibrated when driving. Replaced under factory warranty.

11,000 miles (after perusing this forum)... noticed the rear window crack and water leaking into cabin. Entire rear window replaced under factory warranty, no more leaks.

Finally, today, at 11,500 miles... I’m now having the whole rough start/rough idling I’ve also read about on this forum. On cold starts, Truck starts but RPMs bounce all over the place for the first 10 seconds as the engine struggles to stabilize. Almost like an old carburetor engine. I’m going to give it a few more days and take it back to the dealer to most likely have the PCM reflashed (Which seems to be the fix under the TSB dealing with rough starts.)

As much as I love my truck, all these issues have been disappointing for a brand new truck that cost close to $40k, especially after reading that most others on this forum haven’t had any issues at all. I still plan on keeping the truck a long time but now I’m really seriously considering an FCA extended warranty based on all these issues in just the first 10,000 miles.

GCHill

Reaction score
I am 23 months into my 1500 Limited experience and have not had any issues (other than some body wear that I really didn’t want to see). All the technology and features blow the competition away. I have had the GMC and Chevy pickups for the last 30 years and this is the first RAM but definitely made the right decision. Look at the YouTube comparison videos as well. In most cases, RAM is picked over the competition.

Txd33r

Reaction score
I had f150’s from 2000 until 18. I switched from a 18 lariat in June and love this truck. I’ve only been in the limited for a few months now but glad I switched.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
35k on my Limited...love it. I do have the rear window frame crack, which was approved for warranty replacement, but it’s never leaked, so I’ve left it alone.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Getting close to 2k on my 2020 Limited. June 2020 build, just bought it in July. Not been back to the dealership for any issues yet. Loving it.

The 2021 F150 will have a better interior than the 2020 and earlier Fords. If you can wait, I'd compare the 2020/2021 Ram with the 2021 F150. However, as with all makes/models, the first year of major changes usually has a higher instance/change of issues, and Ford is no stranger to that.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
2019 Laramie. Zero issues after over two years (purchased 7/18) and 34,000 miles. Best truck I’ve ever owned.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, durn.... reading all these glowing reports either I got a bad apple or I’m just plain unlucky. Nevertheless, I highly recommend the brand and wouldn’t own anything else, I plan on keeping this thing forever! Pretty much the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned. Let’s hope those were the last of my issues. Yesterday she started right up with no rough idle

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
If I were you, I’d wait until the 2021 F150s are out, and test drive one as well (looks like they are starting to show up in some dealers around here). From what I’ve seen, their interiors are now on par with the 5th gen RAMS, so the ”dated” argument no longer holds true.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my Limited. Competition is a great thing, but since you’re a Ford guy already, I believe they’re worth a look now.

Cheers,

Mike7311

Reaction score
I just took the plunge and switched from a 2018 Tundra Platinum. The Toyota was a rock solid truck, but dated when compared to the competition. We test drove the Ram and immediately knew it was the one for us. The ergonomics are great down to the steering wheel which was well thought out for truck drivers. We went with a fully loaded Big Horn because I don’t want leather as I live in the desert. My brothers 2016 Laramie leather has not held up under use.

First year of a new model is common to have issues and I think Ford will be no different. The 2020 Ram is the way to go unless you want to wait two years to be sure Ford works their first year redesign issues out. We are happy with our decision.

Users who are viewing this thread