5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb to the world, wealth of information, overload. HELP

adidasnc84

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2022 1500 Laramie 4x4, 5.7 non etourque, 3.21 gears. This truck wasnt purchased originally to tow a travel trailer however the wife has become interested. I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around doing this safely with everything that is involved. Can someone help me out? Trying to look at trailers but have no clue what weight to stay under. Sorry for this kind of question, I am just in the sauce at moment.

Creep0321

Reaction score
What’s the payload in your door sticker? Is it just you and the wife? Kids,dogs,cats, other toys? (Kayaks bikes etc…)?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add at least a 1000 lbs to any dry weight camper sticker for food, grill, drinks, clothes, etc. That must be under your truck GCVW sticker. I'd add at least 100 lbs to the listed tongue weight, and that combined with people, stuff in the box, etc, must be under your entire loaded truck payload total. And the hitch is probably rated for 1000 lbs anyways, but I haven't looked in awhile? Weight distributing hitch is a must.

Lots of us are spooked by the sway of the rubber bushed Ram rear suspension. Various upgrades are available, depending on your tolerance for sway, cost, install, and mechanical need. Don't worry about these until you get a trailer.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of us are spooked by the sway of the rubber bushed Ram rear suspension. Various upgrades are available, depending on your tolerance for sway, cost, install, and mechanical need. Don't worry about these until you get a trailer.
Has anyone come up with urethane bushings yet?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've put in an email request to both prothane and energy susp with no answer. Core4x4 makes multiple levels of replacement links, but very costly for the average owner. I wouldn't think it would be too hard for one of the urethane co's to get some sizes from a local test truck, but Congress hasn't acted yet?

dski

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2022 1500 Laramie 4x4, 5.7 non etourque, 3.21 gears. This truck wasnt purchased originally to tow a travel trailer however the wife has become interested. I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around doing this safely with everything that is involved. Can someone help me out? Trying to look at trailers but have no clue what weight to stay under. Sorry for this kind of question, I am just in the sauce at moment.

Hello - I like a simple website like this so you can plug you numbers in and see where you are at:

The hardest number to find for me was the truck curb weight. Depending on options my truck is very similar 2022 Laramie 4x4 crew 5'7" etroque 3.92. Empty truck full 23 gallon tank I weigh 5700#
You are in a similar position as us. We've be dabbling in travel trailers with our small kids to gage their interest. We started towing small TT with our SUV before upgrading to our RAM for more flexibility and safety margin. A couple suggestions: try renting to see not only the kind of TT you like but how well it tows. Smaller is always easier and more relaxing than being near you max #s. Dual axels are more comfortable than single. Big thing to be safe is never tow above your ratings. As others have pointed out and you will see it when you crunch numbers, watch the tongue weight it can quickly put you near your max payload. For example a 8000# TT near your max tow would have a tongue weight >1000# which leaves only ~500# of payload left or barely enough for you and your wife.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
Spend the money and buy a hensley or propride hitch if you have to tow with a 1500. Im stuck with my truck for another year and its night and day difference

Tymeks

Reaction score
Spend the money and buy a hensley or propride hitch if you have to tow with a 1500. Im stuck with my truck for another year and its night and day difference
This is 100% true. I started off with a BlueOx and then switched to a Propride. Night and day difference is an understatement.
The 23 gallon and 3.21's are going to be fairly limiting overall. The truck will definitely pull, I just wouldn't plan on pulling much more than 6000 pounds or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/