5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb 4x4 Question: Front Diff?

jassim

Reaction score
I understand the various options available to equip the rear differential; open, limited slip, e-locker.

What about the front differential in 4x4 configurations? If I opt for an e-locker rear, is the front also an e-locker? Or, is the front always a LSD? Or, is it open and relies on traction control (braking the faster wheel) to keep both front tires moving? (Oddly, I cannot find anything on the front wheel drive system.)

I'm also stumped trying to figure out what Ram uses in the transfer case to go from 2-wheel drive to 4-wheel.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand the various options available to equip the rear differential; open, limited slip, e-locker.

What about the front differential in 4x4 configurations? If I opt for an e-locker rear, is the front also an e-locker? Or, is the front always a LSD? Or, is it open and relies on traction control (braking the faster wheel) to keep both front tires moving? (Oddly, I cannot find anything on the front wheel drive system.)

I'm also stumped trying to figure out what Ram uses in the transfer case to go from 2-wheel drive to 4-wheel.

Thanks for the info.

First, there are many here who are far more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. Given that, here's how I understand it:

The front diff is a always an open diff. It is NOT a Limited Slip. (No clutch pack, no additives.)

RAM uses a wheel-slip logic system to apply asymmetric braking so that the front wheels will get traction. There 's some great videos of this floating around. Jeep uses it, too. The end result is that it ACTS like a LSD. (all this for the front)

Users who are viewing this thread