5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new wheels and tires, now vibration at highway speeds did RFB

supercanadian

Reaction score
Hi lovely people of my ram community.

I recently had installed some TIS 544 20x10 -18 offset wheels installed with Fuel Gripper AT 33" tires. Overall the look is amazing....will do a separate thread on looks, poke...etc.

Anyways....I am getting some vibrations at highway speeds around 85-90kph and seems to go away at 115kph and above. I feel it more in my seat than the wheel. Also certain road conditions bring it out more.

I took in the tires to get checked at shop with the hunter machine and they said one of the wheels was off and corrected it. No idea how good of an effort they did or did not do but the vibration is still the same.

I am looking to troubleshoot before I spend money on new tires as the vibration will drive me nuts forcing me to change. Any idea of the tire pressure could be an issue? I noticed mine were all set to 37psi when i checked them with my gauge. Think if I go up in pressure that would help? i might try that tonight but not sure the sweetspot of these tires as their fairly new. It shows max rating of 80 on the side wall and my truck shows 35 on the door (but that is for a p-rated tired).

any suggestions on trouble shooting this? I know its the tires/rims as it was smooth before the change. Should i try changing out one tire at a time with a new tire? The shop who installed the wheels said that i will get some vibration just because of the LT rated tires and the aggressive tread which I could see but i think my vibration is more than that.

I read somewhere to get them to use a pin plate for balancing and not the standard hub mount. not sure how the shop did it when i paid for the balancing after install (the shope who installed them also balancing them twice for me).

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cheap tires is usually the culprit, which FUEL tires kinda are.

Find a shop to try and road force balance them. If it’s still there some places warranty a bad tire.

And no, lt tires won’t cause a vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
A vibration only in a certain speed window is a balance problem. That you feel it in the seat of your pants instead of having the steering wheel shake tells me its probably on a rear tire. Which leaves you with what? Is the wheel hole the right size or did they short you a hub centering ring? Did the wheel get bent while someone was wrestling the tire on? Did they do a lousy job placing the weights and some got scraped or flew off? Is the tire bad?

You can check the rings when you move the tires from axle to axle. It's also a good time to look at the weights and see if there's any reside indicating you lost some. If the steering wheel starts shaking afterwards, then you have narrowed it to two possible tires.

supercanadian

Reaction score
Did you remove the factory rotor retaining washer?

you know i read that somehwere while doing my hours of research on this. I think I found a pic....I'll try and find it again. I am not sure if they did remove it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
37 is way underinflated for an LT tire. Try upping the psi to 50 and do a highway drive.

There is a possibility that if the tire shop underinflated the tire and did a RFB that it would still not be balanced correctly. A regular balance would’ve feen fine with the underinflation though since the hub is mounted to the machine instead.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Are the new wheels hub centric Or lug centric? I had new wheels put on mine and had the same problem. Not sure what kpm but around 55 to 70 mph got a vib I could feel.
went on amazon and bought some hub centric spacers and it went away

after market wheel makers make there wheels lug centric. This does not center the wheel on the hub. And can get some vib.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone tells you their wheels are lug centric, don't buy from them. Tapered seat on nuts is not there to center, it's to make them more shakeproof. Aftermarket wheels have oversize center holes so they will fit more vehicles, and centering rings are expected.

Users who are viewing this thread