5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, some friends and I were at a small 1/8 th mile track way out in the sticks. After the track closed and people were loading up to leave, they let two trucks with trailers race. They also let two of my friends race on foot. Of course they didn’t make it very far. It was a fun track with some cool people that ran it. They would go to their trailer and just ask us the lock the gate on our way out.
We do foot races, e-scooter races, and pit bike races at my local track between rounds if there are no test and tune cars wanting to run. Keeps crowd engaged during down times.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, is that a drag race? Or pulling the trailers with the breaks locked up? AI is funny.
Maybe the trailers have their own batteries and electric motors on the axle?

denjen

Reaction score
Just an update.... Yes, not moving quickly LOL.

I recently test drove a Nissan Titan XD Pro 4x, it was interesting for sure, really liked the v8 especially as it has no MDS, start/stop, etc. It drove well (felt somewhat bouncy due the the weight I think); but I could not get over the claustrophobic feel, partly due to the smaller interior volume and extra window tinting. Also the seat was not that comfortable for me.

I like the Ram better, so now may have narrowed it down to a new 23 Big Horn 4x4 with protection group, 3.21, 8.4 display with Nav (not a fan of the 12"), limited slip and some other goodies or a 22 certified Big Horn 4x4 (less than 200 miles) that has 3.92, off road package, Level 1 safety, bed utility, no nav, side steps.

The 22 has no e-torque; whereas the 23 has e-torque with start/stop.

denjen

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on 23 Big Horn 4x4, protection group, Level 1 Group, LSRD, 3.21, Nav, rear wheel liners, remote start, chrome wheels and park sense.

The fun part begins.....

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Interesting you found a 22 without E torque. That was said to have died in the 21MY. I picked up my 21 at the end of 21 and figured that was the last of the last non E torques. Mine is a 3.21 (non LSD sadly but has auto 4x4) and I regularly tow 4000-4500 lbs near max payload. I go down into the smoky mountains 2-4 times a year and it holds all the speed I want on the steeper sections. My trailer is low wind resistance vs. a camper.

Congrats on the new rig! I think that was a good call not getting the safety group with additional electronic complication etc. What color is it?

I had a Titan rental a few years ago (non XD). For how bad the ride was I would rather have went with a 3/4 ton. The engine noise in the cab was one of the loudest I’ve heard on a more modern vehicle. I generally hate the interface/layout of the dash controls and buttons especially on older Asian vehicles and the Titan didn’t disappoint there. 0% intuitive as to be expected poor design/layout. You made the right call.

Word of caution to those with wheel liners. My truck doesn’t have a spray in liner and it dents ridiculously easy in the bed. I generally keep my beds very nice but the lightest impact will dent this one. I had a couple decent sized dents in the wheel wells on both sides and when I removed the liners to fluid film this year I found that the dented areas had contacted the wheel liners and rubbed to bare metal (over about a year period). I repaired the dents and coated with POR-15 and closed it back up. Will see how it looks in another year.

Last edited:

denjen

Reaction score
actually I got 23 with etorque since can't get one w/o it. My wife and I have decided if we ever upgrade from our current setup (Nucmap Tab 400 teardrop) it will be to a B / B+ and I have done some calculations and if I wanted to max out my towing via 3.92 setup I would basically need a stripped down quad cab.

Thanks for info on wheel well liners

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting you found a 22 without E torque. That was said to have died in the 21MY. I picked up my 21 at the end of 21 and figured that was the last of the last non E torques. Mine is a 3.21 (non LSD sadly but has auto 4x4) and I regularly tow 4000-4500 lbs near max payload. I go down into the smoky mountains 2-4 times a year and it holds all the speed I want on the steeper sections. My trailer is low wind resistance vs. a camper.

Congrats on the new rig! I think that was a good call not getting the safety group with additional electronic complication etc. What color is it?

I had a Titan rental a few years ago (non XD). For how bad the ride was I would rather have went with a 3/4 ton. The engine noise in the cab was one of the loudest I’ve heard on a more modern vehicle. I generally hate the interface/layout of the dash controls and buttons especially on older Asian vehicles and the Titan didn’t disappoint there. 0% intuitive as to be expected poor design/layout. You made the right call.

Word of caution to those with wheel liners. My truck doesn’t have a spray in liner and it dents ridiculously easy in the bed. I generally keep my beds very nice but the lightest impact will dent this one. I had a couple decent sized dents in the wheel wells on both sides and when I removed the liners to fluid film this year I found that the dented areas had contacted the wheel liners and rubbed to bare metal (over about a year period). I repaired the dents and coated with POR-15 and closed it back up. Will see how it looks in another year.
non-etorque died in 2023.
In 2022 it an additional option although I think most dealerships ordered it with unless you custom ordered.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I must have read it incorrectly before. E torque is fine when working correctly. Seems like with any advanced electrical system it’s a bear to fix when it acts up.

I mostly don’t want it because I need all the payload I can get. Looks like the new hurricane may be lighter than the hemi (non e torque) from the claimed payload in the brochure that was posted.

Mines about 1,840 lbs iirc. They say over 1900 in the brochure for the standard output 3.0.

denjen

Reaction score
Agree about payload, it was a bit easy for me to look at the all the bells/whistles and go, cool I want that. I had the dealer text me a pic of the payload sticker of the truck linked above it was 1475 so I didn't even bother to go look at it.

Realistically in my view the 3.92 in that truck wouldn't really get me much in the way of higher towing. The Titans I test drove had payloads of 1350 - 1440 depending on model. The Titan XD Pro 4x had payload of about 2100; but the fuel economy was not good.

I will say the F150 I test drove had payload of 1840; but it comes at cost of overall truck weight which if that truck is that light I would think it might have some proposing (have heard that about the F150) and easier for wind to affect it.

What I got gives me I believe a good balance between towing, payload, fuel economy when not towing. It also helps our RV has teardrop shape. I was averaging 11 - 12 pulling it with my 3 speed/OD 09 Silverado and it had no issues so don't anticipate any with the Ram.

I need spray in liner and I will install running boards, mud flaps.

Has anybody added fender flares? Do they help protect the paint better than w/o?

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I was going to add the factory plastic splash guards (basically larger versions of the protectors behind the wheel wells currently).

I don’t get on gravel roads at all but I have no paint damage to speak of lower on the body. One chip right on the edge of the hood sadly. 54k miles now.

The truck tows and handles payload great (much better than my 2010 in the payload dept.)

The only odd thing it does when towing is if a semi passes me it really upsets the truck(sucks it over then over corrects) I can pass the same semi and it doesn’t do it while passing only while being passed.

I’d recommend Linex or the hardest spray in you can get to protect against dents. If I stand on the raised rib section of the bed floor I can watch it distort with just my weight on one foot (140 lbs). I fixed all I could without removing the bed (I had one stupid whoops the dented the floor) and I plan to get a Linex this spring.

denjen

Reaction score
Probably will do Line-X. Fender flares may not do much, not sure. I will at least swap out the mud flaps as want to keep the white paint decent looking.

We are heading to AK this summer so want to get as much protection as can get... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread