5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck

denjen

Reaction score
Hello to all and sorry for the long email.

We Recently purchased an RV (Nucamp Tab 400 teardrop) weight - 2850 lbs empty and 3850 loaded) and currently have 2009 Silverado extended cab 5.3 3.42 gears with 4 speed tranny. It also has the AFM (Active Fuel Mgt). Tow rating is 6800, payload is 1550 lbs. We are looking to do some traveling with next year heading to AK.

While I have not had any trouble with the Silverado and it pulls the RV no problem, I pull it in 3rd with tow haul engaged I not sure I want to go cross country in a 14 yr old truck with ~100K miles.

So to that end I have narrowed it down to Ram (1st choice) and Titan (2nd choice). One thing I like about the Titan, it is a V8 with no MDS or start/stop; but it has it's drawbacks.

As for the Ram, I am looking at the Bighorn 4x4, have seen numerous certified (2021/2022) most have the 3.92. I am torn between the 3.21 (perceived better MPG) and 3.92 (better towing). I am curious what others think about which direction to go. Oh, we are retired so no commuting and generally trips will be local to the Southeast with other trips across the country.

I have seen references to back window / 3rd taillight leaking, are there others areas to look out for?

If we decide to upgrade RV would probably look at a class B/B+

Thanks
DJ

Davidbt

Reaction score
I found a 21' 1500 Big Horn with only 11,300 miles on it September of '22'. We live Southeast Arizona and pull a 5,500lb travel trailer. Went up to the Grand Canyon last November and the truck performed great. Did a 3,500 trip to Mississippi and back up through eastern New Mexico, and again the truck did great. With your trailer you can probably get away with the 3.21's. But what if you decide to go bigger at some point? I personally don't feel that there's that much difference in fuel mileage not to go with the 3.92's. Just my opinion.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
3.92’s aren’t terrible gas mileage by any means.
Not towing I have seen upwards of 18-19 mixed and 20-21 highway. Towing I typically get 11.5 with my 3.92’s and loaded rig.

Recently my gas mileage has dropped a good bit and more like 16.5 mpg not towing and mixed driving pretty consistently. I have been driving it a lot less though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello to all and sorry for the long email.

We Recently purchased an RV (Nucamp Tab 400 teardrop) weight - 2850 lbs empty and 3850 loaded) and currently have 2009 Silverado extended cab 5.3 3.42 gears with 4 speed tranny. It also has the AFM (Active Fuel Mgt). Tow rating is 6800, payload is 1550 lbs. We are looking to do some traveling with next year heading to AK.

While I have not had any trouble with the Silverado and it pulls the RV no problem, I pull it in 3rd with tow haul engaged I not sure I want to go cross country in a 14 yr old truck with ~100K miles.

So to that end I have narrowed it down to Ram (1st choice) and Titan (2nd choice). One thing I like about the Titan, it is a V8 with no MDS or start/stop; but it has it's drawbacks.

As for the Ram, I am looking at the Bighorn 4x4, have seen numerous certified (2021/2022) most have the 3.92. I am torn between the 3.21 (perceived better MPG) and 3.92 (better towing). I am curious what others think about which direction to go. Oh, we are retired so no commuting and generally trips will be local to the Southeast with other trips across the country.

I have seen references to back window / 3rd taillight leaking, are there others areas to look out for?

If we decide to upgrade RV would probably look at a class B/B+

Thanks
DJ
Get the 3.92 gears. Unless you are doing all highway miles when not towing, you wi t see a significant difference between the two gear sets in real world daily driving

denjen

Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I was thinking as well (3.92), how common is the back window leaking, I had a water leak under the cowl on my silverado, took a while to find/fix. It part of owning a vehicle....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I was thinking as well (3.92), how common is the back window leaking, I had a water leak under the cowl on my silverado, took a while to find/fix. It part of owning a vehicle....
More often on older model years. Not as common on newer ones

Davidbt

Reaction score
I hope I don't jinx myself, but I haven't had any of the problems that are posted on this forum. My Big Horn has been a great truck. I owned a 2016 CTD and a 2018 CTD and they were great trucks.

denjen

Reaction score
Thanks HSKR / Davidbt, that is good to hear.

I will say it is amazing the prices of new vehicles especially trucks...... My neighbor got a limited f150 with 5.0 and paid 70K for it, which was more than our 1st house cost!!! Yup, I am old LOL....

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll tell you this, I'm pretty sure I've never heard someone say "boy, I regret getting the 3.73's. Sure wish I got the 3.21's" 🙂

dengland

Reaction score
We Recently purchased an RV (Nucamp Tab 400 teardrop) weight - 2850 lbs empty and 3850 loaded)
Since we are already off topic - How do you like the TAB 400? The wife and I are considering that in the next 12 months. It will be the first thing I have towed. I have to add the electronic brake controller too. That install does not look too bad.

denjen

Reaction score
@dengland we are really liking it! I was impressed with the quality and systems. Towing wise it tracks straight and true. We have not had any issues with it. The alde heat / hot water is a great system. It is a well thought out small RV. If you have been to their forum, you might hit it also (tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com)

If you are getting an add-on controller I got a Tekonsha P3 brake controller which has worked well.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would highly suggest the 3.92 for towing. There is a video on youtube that does a comparison of the 3.21 / 3.92 with the new gearing in the 5Th Gen.

Youtube Video

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
RAM 1500 doesn't come in 3.73.

That's the standard gear in the 19+ HD pickups. ;)

(yea, this is the 5th gen 1500 site, but google don't care) :unsure:
This is true.
His signature said he had a 2019 Rebel, which didn't come as an HD for that year ;-)
Google loves giving half A$$d information now a days.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AI is even worse.

They must have 3.92's.

View attachment 172265

Back in the day, some friends and I were at a small 1/8 th mile track way out in the sticks. After the track closed and people were loading up to leave, they let two trucks with trailers race. They also let two of my friends race on foot. Of course they didn’t make it very far. It was a fun track with some cool people that ran it. They would go to their trailer and just ask us the lock the gate on our way out.

Users who are viewing this thread