5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Truck who Dis?

Lew

Reaction score
Hi! New here.

I’ve never been a car person. Always wanted a truck though. And I finally got myself one! My new baby is a 2022 V8 Rebel. And now all I can think about is making her mine.

I have a couple questions I guess. Talk to me like I’m 5 please. I am greener than grass.

People talk about lifts and leveling and I only have the very basest of ideas what they are talking about.

My use case is daily driver. Partner. 13yo son. Two dogs, one big one small. Vacation trips with all the gear. So practical upgrades are a high priority, especially in the cab.

But I also like to live. I backpack and hike, and would love to drop some serious time and money into doing a custom camping setup. I dunno.

I’ll be getting it dirty, but as much as I’d love rock crawling Utah, I’d have to drive across the country to get there. So off road performance takes a small backseat.

Cosmetics externals are great though. I want her to look unique.

Natalie is a security freak, so a locking rear storage solution is an immediate need. Good recommendations on Tonneau covers? Other alternatives?

I didn’t get the rear wheel liners and would have liked to. And mudflaps might be nice.

The factory underseat storage is pretty minimal. I’m sure there are better options? The factory floor liners need replaced as well.

Does anyone know of a customizer that does major rebuilds specifically on Ram 1500s?

Didn’t get the G/T package, so it sounds like cold air intake and exhaust are something that everyone looks at? What about afm/dfm management?

I probably should have browsed the Forum for an hour or two before popping off, but I’m quite enthusiastic. Any suggestions or comments anyone can offer would be great!

Lew

Attachments

• 083DF783-CDFF-4E95-97D0-376A3FDC185C.jpeg
    083DF783-CDFF-4E95-97D0-376A3FDC185C.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 144
  • F6E51DD5-593C-44C7-ACA8-D1D65E09BD3D.jpeg
    F6E51DD5-593C-44C7-ACA8-D1D65E09BD3D.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 145

Lew

Reaction score
I have another question. What is the difference between the Rebel 12 package and just opting for the 12.1” UConnect option? (Which appears to MSRP more for less equipment)

My truck came with the second, which means no 19 speaker sound system. 😢

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome.
I would for sure recomend you browse the forum and watch a couple of you tube videos so you get an idea on how full on you want to customized it to the camping/overland side. If you are gonna add a rack system or drawer system that might dictate what kind of tonneau cover would best fit you. And might also dictate what suspension upgrade would be best so lifts or level would be last in my opinion.
From the picture it almost seems like you have wheel liners but if not rough country are easly to install, good quality and cost less than mopar.
Husky mud guards are good.
I like those stock tires and rims but while the white letters are cool they look terrible when dirty. I would turn whites in.

Reactions: Lew

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Congrats! First and foremost, it looks like you have wheel liners. I could be wrong though. If you do, that's great. If not, definitely get them, especially if you plan to keep the truck long term. I'm not sure if it's still a thing but "Dodge Rot" above the rear wheels has been a thing in past models. Although, have not yet seen it with 5th gens.

In terms of lift and leveling, I can only speak for a non air suspension truck. For me, I elected to NOT go with the 2" level. I was essentially ready to pull the trigger but opted against it. If you do, the proper way to do it with new UCA's because even the Mopar "level kit" ones have ball joints that sit at a pretty funny angle. If you do a 2" level, it rakes the truck a little better (front is more level with back) and from what I'm seeing, most guys fit a tire close to 35" without rubbing (anecdotally). My plan is to eventually just get new Bilstein adjustables with UCA's when the stock Bilsteins wear out. Warranty may be an issue with these mods, just an FYI.

Mod's I personally have done/will do:

1) K&N Filter at the least, if not a new intake. Just know the ram-cold-air style ones often get packed with snow in winter climates. I went with just the filter for now.
2) Oil catch can. I went with the Mishimoto one. Stops your intake from getting all crudded up from the oil in the PCV system.
3) Tonneau cover. If you need a true locking option I would go BakFlip. Gator makes similar covers at a similar, but slightly lower price point but I don't know they make a locking option.
4) At some point, I would like to do an exhaust. Borla is popular and Craven makes a cut/clamp cat-back system. Just trying to gauge how much my neighbors will be pissed with my truck warming up at 3:30am before I go hunting.
5) Tires. The Duratracks, putting it delicately, left a lot to be desired for me. Around 30k I switch to BFG KO2's and it was night and day. Better wet/snow traction, less noise, better turn in, and just all around a better tire.

Anyways, good luck. This forum is a treasure trove of info.

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! When you're ready to start getting stuff ordered shoot me a PM so I can get you the forum discount! I will go over every option with you and do my best to explain it all so you know what you're getting into!

-Andrew

Lew

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I just made my first major drive today. Took it 8 hours south just me and my dog. Got my beach permit for Hattaras National Sea Shore. I’m gonna get her dirty this weekend!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i've yet to pick up my truck but it is at MD. I ordered my parts shortly after I placed my truck order back in June.

My goal for the build is to be able to go fast in the desert while participating in overlanding stuff, since crawling and being off camber is not my thing (been there, done that, nearly shat myself many times)
As a tech, I strongly believe in "buy once, cry once" and "you get what you pay for," so my parts list is gonna be on the pricy side. Let's go through it from front to back:

1. Baja Design LP6 goes on the bumper, utilizing Dark Dune Bumper brackets.
  2. Battery will be swapped out for LiFEPO4, since it will be used to power my fridge that is on 24/7/365
  3. SDHQ Ditch Light Brackets with BD Squadron Sport ditch lights
  4. Switch-Pro control panel
  5. iCom IC-2730 mobile radio, hardwired to battery for basecamp use
  6. ICS dash mount for mobile radio and other stuff
  7. iceco jp42 fridge
  8. chassis unlimited bed rack
  9. decked drawer system
  10. fox shock 2.5 front and rear
  11. Carli UCA and rear springs
  12. unknown brand roof top tent
  13. Renogy Wanderer solar controller and panel
  14. ARB single onboard air
you can visit my build thread for my background/ experience and my reasoning for the parts

Lew

Reaction score
i've yet to pick up my truck but it is at MD. I ordered my parts shortly after I placed my truck order back in June.

My goal for the build is to be able to go fast in the desert while participating in overlanding stuff, since crawling and being off camber is not my thing (been there, done that, nearly shat myself many times)
As a tech, I strongly believe in "buy once, cry once" and "you get what you pay for," so my parts list is gonna be on the pricy side. Let's go through it from front to back:

1. Baja Design LP6 goes on the bumper, utilizing Dark Dune Bumper brackets.
  2. Battery will be swapped out for LiFEPO4, since it will be used to power my fridge that is on 24/7/365
  3. SDHQ Ditch Light Brackets with BD Squadron Sport ditch lights
  4. Switch-Pro control panel
  5. iCom IC-2730 mobile radio, hardwired to battery for basecamp use
  6. ICS dash mount for mobile radio and other stuff
  7. iceco jp42 fridge
  8. chassis unlimited bed rack
  9. decked drawer system
  10. fox shock 2.5 front and rear
  11. Carli UCA and rear springs
  12. unknown brand roof top tent
  13. Renogy Wanderer solar controller and panel
  14. ARB single onboard air
you can visit my build thread for my background/ experience and my reasoning for the parts
This is incredible! Thanks for sharing it. Your goal is very similar to mine. My favorite place is the Escalante region of UT. I would love to get this vehicle out there some day.

Lew

Reaction score
Is this my real life?

Attachments

• B27E9C3B-7209-4941-93C9-C4B365534F43.jpeg
    B27E9C3B-7209-4941-93C9-C4B365534F43.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 79

Lew

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome.
I would for sure recomend you browse the forum and watch a couple of you tube videos so you get an idea on how full on you want to customized it to the camping/overland side. If you are gonna add a rack system or drawer system that might dictate what kind of tonneau cover would best fit you. And might also dictate what suspension upgrade would be best so lifts or level would be last in my opinion.
From the picture it almost seems like you have wheel liners but if not rough country are easly to install, good quality and cost less than mopar.
Husky mud guards are good.
I like those stock tires and rims but while the white letters are cool they look terrible when dirty. I would turn whites in.
You are absolutely right; There are wheel liners. It wasn’t on the sticker anywhere, and I never actually looked.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is incredible! Thanks for sharing it. Your goal is very similar to mine. My favorite place is the Escalante region of UT. I would love to get this vehicle out there some day.
you will and when you do, you'll love it.
ive been saying i wanted to do Moab and in 2020 i finally said "**** it im going" and literally woke up, put in my vacation days form, and went the next day lol

Lew

Reaction score
you will and when you do, you'll love it.
ive been saying i wanted to do Moab and in 2020 i finally said "**** it im going" and literally woke up, put in my vacation days form, and went the next day lol
I am an avid canyoneer and I have been all over Southeast Utah, but it’s always been a rental car. Once, it was a minivan. We drove that minivan over 10 miles of sketchy terrain to get to a trail head. That was fun.

Next time, in this truck, it’s going to be 10 times as much fun! And I like your spirit. I work a couple of weeks a month in Louisville. It’s a 10 Hour drive from home, so I always fly. I’m starting to think about driving and when I think about that, I realize Louisville is a hell of a lot closer to Colorado and Utah then Pennsylvania is. This is definitely gonna happen soon.

Lew

Reaction score
I have another question. What is the difference between the Rebel 12 package and just opting for the 12.1” UConnect option? (Which appears to MSRP more for less equipment)

My truck came with the second, which means no 19 speaker sound system. 😢
I am still hoping someone can explain this to me!

70runner

Reaction score
I probably should have browsed the Forum for an hour or two before popping off...

Lew
Welcome. Relatively new myself, my first 1500. Gained a lot of good info doing the above. Forum search is your friend, especially on specific topics. Lotsa helpful folks inhabit this forum.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am still hoping someone can explain this to me!
according to the ram website, with rebel 12 you get luxury leather trimmed bucket seats over the cloth vinyl seats, and 19 speaker HK system. Those are only available with rebel 12 package.

Lew

Reaction score
I’ve been surfing forums, I’m getting a feel for what it is I actually wanna do. I’m definitely looking at an overland build. And there’s a Jeep customizer just down the road from my house who is interested in helping me out. I’m super excited.

My first move is probably going to be a mid height rack and a clamshell tent. I have a camping weekend the first week of December I’m hoping to have something in place ready to test by then.

What I really like, is the Alu-Cabin from Alu-Cab. If I can find one nearby and walk off with it, I’ll probably pull the trigger. There’s a dealer about an hour away who says he has inventory. I just don’t know whether or not my first step should be a $20,000 one.

Then again, this whole truck was kind of a yolo. Go big, or go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread