5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Truck Ownership Tips

Burner_After

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a new member and recently ordered a 1500 4x4 Bighorn. This will be my first RAM (longtime Silverado guy) and my first new vehicle ever. I've never owned a vehicle that was under warranty before. I have some noob questions about owning a brand new vehicle/a vehicle under warranty.
- I have seen people discuss a "break-in" period. Approx how long is this and what special care does this require?
- While making payments on the truck, do you have a document in lieu of a title?
- What modifications can you do while under warranty? I assume things like an exhaust wouldn't affect anything
- Can I do my own oil changes? It seems like dealerships charge an insane amount for a standard oil change/tire rotation and would prefer to do it myself as long as it wouldn't bite me later for warranty stuff
- Is there anything I SHOULD go to the dealership for standard maintenance?
- Is the standard warranty & extended warranty (if I purchase it) only valid at a RAM dealership? Or any auto mechanic shop?
- Any other tips or lessons learned from anyone in regards to new vehicle ownership?

Thanks!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the break in period is for the first 500 miles , vary the speed and after the first 100 - 200 miles do some full throttle runs while already moving ie not from a stand still .

# 2 & 3 I'm not sure about .

You can do your own oil changes just keep all your receipts .

I would use the dealer for the first oil change as the oil filter is sometimes a bear to get off from factory .

The warranty or extended warranty is only valid at a Ram dealer .

I waited a couple months before waxing the truck but that's just me . Other than that I can't think of anything else .

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a new member and recently ordered a 1500 4x4 Bighorn. This will be my first RAM (longtime Silverado guy) and my first new vehicle ever. I've never owned a vehicle that was under warranty before. I have some noob questions about owning a brand new vehicle/a vehicle under warranty.
- I have seen people discuss a "break-in" period. Approx how long is this and what special care does this require?
- While making payments on the truck, do you have a document in lieu of a title?
- What modifications can you do while under warranty? I assume things like an exhaust wouldn't affect anything
- Can I do my own oil changes? It seems like dealerships charge an insane amount for a standard oil change/tire rotation and would prefer to do it myself as long as it wouldn't bite me later for warranty stuff
- Is the standard warranty & extended warranty (if I purchase it) only valid at a RAM dealership? Or any auto mechanic shop?
- Any other tips or lessons learned from anyone in regards to new vehicle ownership?

Thanks!
Break in, drive home normal. After that drive it like you stole it.

Papers depends on state. I have a registration from the dmv but no title, I don't own it. The bank does.

Exhaust is ok but most things past stock risk warranty. Make it what you want and enjoy it. If you worry about warranty more than what you want you are cheating yourself.

Yes you can do your own oil changes.

No there is nothing that has to be done at the dealer with the exception of warranty work.

Drive and have fun. It is just a truck. It will wear out and you will get another. Well unless you're 90 or something....

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'll take a shot, breaking your questions out and answering them in order. Remember, this is my 2 cents...and possibly worth even less than that. ;)

Newly manufactured engines and transmissions have gears and parts that need to work themselves into their neighbors. You don't want to red-line your engine or cruise at a constant speed for a long time until that is done. (This is a VERY ROUGH analogy.) So, don't set the cruise control at 55mph and drive it like that for 10 hours. Vary the throttle, vary the speed. Local driving and short highway is about all that's needed. Or, if you have to drive on the highway, just vary the speed. Nothing crazy, just several minutes at a time at any speed and then change it. 60 then 62, drop to 58, up to 70. (<- That should cover almost an hour of driving.) The manual will mention it.

(It used to be that there was a special "break in" oil in the engines and you'd be advised to change it after 500 miles. Me...I will change the oil of a new engine after 1,000 to 3,000 miles to drain out any initial gear breakin swarf and whatnot.)

You will not get the title until you've finished paying it off. The dealer/seller will send the title to your registration agency. The registration will have your name on it but the lienholder will be the loan organization. The title normally gets mailed to you within a few weeks of paying it off.

Exactly. It's a grey area. Aftermarket floor mats and your cylinder head cracks? Of course that won't affect the warranty. But you add a new supercharger and modify the intake runners and then your cylinder head cracks? That repair would not be supported by your warranty. Etc.

Yes. You can do your own maintenance (or others can do it for you) and not affect your warranty. However, you'd be well advised to keep your receipts and otherwise have proof that the correct fluids and intervals were used. (Dated/time-stamped pix should do...)

Not really. They do guaranteed work and there may be some electronic updates that they'll take care of. A good relationship with your local service department is nice to have.

I'm not an expert, but the RAM warranty would only be good at a dealership. An aftermarket warranty may let you get reimbursed for work at other shops. Depends on the fine print. Again...not my area.

Thanks!

Fluids, fluids, fluids.

Pay attention to the maintenance intervals and take them as LIMITS, not suggestions. Little known stuff will bite you. For example, modern coolants contain sacrificial anodes in them to prevent internal engine corrosion. It gets used up (as any sacrificial anode should) over time and runs out after 2-3 years. If you don't change it, you'll expose your engine to internal corrosion. (Like a boat with a zinc block.) It's not just about boiling and freezing temps. So, stuff like that... Stay on top of it. (I've rarely had a vehicle last less than 300,000 miles...and one went past 1,000,000.)

And, enjoy it!

cleandirt

Reaction score
Congratulations on ordering your first new vehicle. I recently order one and it will be my first new vehicle too, I’m following this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Hello All,

There's a definition somewhere in the owner's manual, but basically, don't let it idle for hours, don't drive it wide open throttle, don't take it out and set the cruise control and run at the same RPM for hours on end.

In California you get a registration card. It will show you as the registered owner but also show who holds the title. The Lienholder gets the title. When it's paid off, they mail you your title. Then you have to go to the DMV and apply for a new title without a lienholder.
I wouldn't make that assumption. If you bring it in with a check engine light for a code that says always lean, they'll blame the exhaust. Step one is to restore the exhaust and see if the problem goes away.

You can but you must have it documented. OTOH, if a dealer has done all the maintenance, any dealer can pull up the history. There will be no weaseling out of a repair because you didn't do maintenance. There's also this little-known thing called a goodwill repair, where a dealer can appeal to the factory to cover a repair out of warranty. For instance, something covered by a TSB that showed up a month too late. If they pull up your history and you've always had work done at the dealer, they'll probably go to bat for you. If they haven't seen your car since the day you got the keys, you're on your own.

Thanks!
If you buy a factory extended warranty it's only good at dealerships. There's the slimmest of chances that you could get reimbursed if something broke in ****kicker, Texas and the nearest dealership was 400 miles away, but it might take a lawyer. There are also aftermarket warranties but they get petty. As I posted before I once worked on a car with an AC leak. To replace the condenser required removing the radiator. The warranty company covered the condenser and the labor, but they didn't cover the fluids, so the customer had to pay for the refrigerant and the antifreeze I drained.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting to see how many states you don't get a title in until the vehicle it paid off. I got mine a few months back for my June purchase and still have 5.5 years of payments on it, but it NY they send you the title with yourself and the lienholder listed on it.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pay attention to the maintenance intervals and take them as LIMITS, not suggestions. Little known stuff will bite you. For example, modern coolants contain sacrificial anodes in them to prevent internal engine corrosion. It gets used up (as any sacrificial anode should) over time and runs out after 2-3 years. If you don't change it, you'll expose your engine to internal corrosion. (Like a boat with a zinc block.) It's not just about boiling and freezing temps. So, stuff like that... Stay on top of it. (I've rarely had a vehicle last less than 300,000 miles...and one went past 1,000,000.)

And, enjoy it!
What went a million!?

The only thing about break in I’ll add is that you do get to a point where Stellantis recommends wide open throttle from a roll. Do not floor it from a stop. It’s very hard on your motor.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting to see how many states you don't get a title in until the vehicle it paid off. I got mine a few months back for my June purchase and still have 5.5 years of payments on it, but it NY they send you the title with yourself and the lienholder listed on it.
Same here in Michigan.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What went a million!?

The only thing about break in I’ll add is that you do get to a point where Stellantis recommends wide open throttle from a roll. Do not floor it from a stop. It’s very hard on your motor.
(Not to derail...It was a 1983 Mercedes 240D. Boxy, heavy, 4-door with a 2.4l diesel with a spec output of 67hp. Yes: sixty seven! Heavy and draggy design. Drag limited to about 70mph. Stick shift. Went north of a million, but the odometer was broken for a few years, so some miles were "lost". ;) But it felt younger without them showing. :) Lasted almost 35 years.)

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In Ohio the bank gets the title. Once paid off, the bank sends it to you cleared of any liens.

To the OP...new truck advice here: HIDE your credit card from yourself! It is so much fun upgrading and modding these trucks no matter what your priorities are. Enjoy, hope it arrives soon. Be sure to post a picture...they never get old.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
(Not to derail...It was a 1983 Mercedes 240D. Boxy, heavy, 4-door with a 2.4l diesel with a spec output of 67hp. Yes: sixty seven! Heavy and draggy design. Drag limited to about 70mph. Stick shift. Went north of a million, but the odometer was broken for a few years, so some miles were "lost". ;) But it felt younger without them showing. :) Lasted almost 35 years.)
That's really cool man. I love hearing about those million mile unicorns!

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
Good thread - following as well. Just picked up my new truck straight off the delivery truck! 19 miles on it so definitely want to “break it in” properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
1852752ba4ac7e180981861afd1a9f26.jpg

Found it in the manual

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here in Maryland.

cleandirt

Reaction score
1852752ba4ac7e180981861afd1a9f26.jpg

Found it in the manual

Is it just me or does this bit of writing lack clarity? Is the whole manual written like this? It appears they are saying to keep it under 55 after the first 60 miles. I assume you’re also supposed to drive moderately during the initial 60 miles since that is part of the first 300 miles. Are the brief full throttle accelerations while in high gears considered moderate driving and included in the first 300 miles? Then it appears we are encouraged to change the oil at some point according to our particular climate conditions. Maybe on page 449 we are told when the first oil change should occur along with the recommended viscosity and quality grades.

Jako

Reaction score
Is it just me or does this bit of writing lack clarity? Is the whole manual written like this? It appears they are saying to keep it under 55 after the first 60 miles. I assume you’re also supposed to drive moderately during the initial 60 miles since that is part of the first 300 miles. Are the brief full throttle accelerations while in high gears considered moderate driving and included in the first 300 miles? Then it appears we are encouraged to change the oil at some point according to our particular climate conditions. Maybe on page 449 we are told when the first oil change should occur along with the recommended viscosity and quality grades.
Had to read it through a few times myself, plus it is on page 295 of a 674 page manual (2019). I followed the guidelines but some disagree with the procedure. If it was that critical I would tend to think it should be stated in a more prominent place. Ram must have their reasons and I believe my 2001 has the same info for the break in. At 28,000 miles my motor is doing good.

Ramjack

Reaction score
What went a million!?

More likely hard on the transmission and differential. The engine is already moving.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
... Drive and have fun. It is just a truck. It will wear out and you will get another. Well unless you're 90 or something....
I'm 75 and I'm planning on this being my last truck. Being retired I won't put on many miles (I racked up only 33,000 over 10 years with my last truck). Will my Ram outlive me? We'll see ...

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread