5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck, need help with tires

charizma92

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a 2019 Laramie Crew Back with the stock 20" wheels on 275/55 Duelers. I live in Southern AZ and we have pretty mild weather outside of monsoon season and of course it gets really hot during summer lol. I'm mostly going to be driving on paved roads and the freeway for work with some occasional off road trips here and there since I do have some ATVs.

I'm looking for more aggressive looking tires but don't want to sacrifice too much in ride quality. After scavenging the wheel and tire thread I've decided to keep my stock rims and probably go with some Open Country's or Ridge Grapplers. Now my question is, is there a big difference between 4 PLY and 10 PLY tires? Would I necessarily need a 10 PLY rated tire for my usage? I'm coming from a Dodge Charger Scat Pack and while I do appreciate the smoother ride in my truck I'm willing to give up some of it. I also am going to be adding the MotoFab 2.5" leveling kit to allow for a bigger tire.

Thank you.

texasvolfan15

Reaction score
You definitely do not need or probably want the LT 10 ply tire for your usage. I’d go towards the ridge grappler between those two. Most people seem to love them.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Well my vote is Ridge Grapplers. I have had Toyos and just did not have a good experience with them. As far as the load rating, if you are not doing heavy towing or moderate off-roading i would stick with the XL load rating. The LT tires are just overkill for most peoples needs. Plus they kill mPG because of the extra weight and will give you a rougher ride. I have had 5 sets of Ridge Grapplers on 5 different vehicles and just ordered my 6th set today. Never had balancing issues and they give a very nice ride with an aggressive look that is unmatched in my opinion.

Brrryan

Reaction score
Going 10 ply will definitely harshen the ride a little and, as said above, isn’t needed. I’d say go 275/60 in either of those tires. Going that route you stick with the 4 ply and gain ~1” in height from stock. They’ll fit without the level, but it sounds like you’re going for that look

bwsall

Reaction score
Just talked to my Ram dealer, and FCA is offering buy three get one free on select tires. I asked if the Ridge Grapplers qualified for that deal, and it does. The cost is about $1400 installed, but they will price match any lower price. Found them on Amazon cheaper, so price matched will cost about $1250 out the door. They have extended this sale through the end of May.

Users who are viewing this thread