5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new toy hauler, first tow home delayed to adjust for immense tongue weight

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just picked up a relatively decent sized toy hauler/ v-nosed enclosed trailer 23'x8.5' for the Ram for future adventures the other weekend, and was shocked at the squat I got from this 2008 Roadmaster R-sport toy hauler when first hooking up without a WD hitch and ball at standard height. It had battery,some pots and pans and maybe 20 gallon in grey water at this time. It looked like it was unsafe and undrivable like this.
Obviously this trailer unloaded has more than 10% tw, maybe closer to 1000-1250lb tongue weight (20+%?) b/c of this massive squat even after adjustments and battery removal. Not too much info on this unit online, somewhere around 5300 lbs. but these photos are taken after draining everything from black and grey water tanks, which are located in front of 2 axles, removing the battery and bringing ball height on my adjustable hitch 3 positions over receiver height. trailer rated to hold 2900lb in cargo.
The fresh water tank is also still empty. Although I've read many fresh water tanks are located behind the axles, maybe this one as well. Specs read it has a 45 Gal fresh water tank. So maybe even tho its a double axle the tongue weight is higher than it would be when weight was added or applied to rear of trailer behind the axles? Like a teeter totter.
I already have close to a 2 1/2" rake stock for towing heavier like this and dropping this trailer on, it looks like a 2 1/2"+ sag now when its unloaded. Crazy.
I planned on jamming possibly four 4wheelers inside. most of that weight is on or behind the 2 axles Thinking of putting the 2 heaviest further back, adding fresh water and seeing how the tongue weight changed.
Will be looking into weight distribution hitches compatible with this trailer. I don't own one currently, any suggestions with the brackets currently on there?
Looks like the equal-i-zer isnt compatible bc this has brackets for what looks to be a chain style WDH instead of bars. (key looking cutout in bracket where WD bars would normally be). Also thinking should I install some bilsteins +33" tires with higher load rating like I intended on in future to raise the starting level to which the trailer starts applying its weight to the ball. any and all comments, suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 20200216_142056.jpg
    20200216_142056.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 20200216_141639.jpg
    20200216_141639.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 20200216_141623.jpg
    20200216_141623.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 20200216_141610.jpg
    20200216_141610.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
Check out the Anderson WD hitch, a friend of mine uses one for his horse trailer that has a battery box at the front similar to yours. I'd also suggest you put air bags in like the AirRide 1000 system. It's very basic and will help level the truck even with the WD on. It does not increase any payload or towing it just brings your truck back to level when you have a heavy tongue weight. I found it hard to get both my trailer and my truck level no matter how I messed around with my WD setup, so I added the bags.

If you have a truck stop near you take the trailer over and get your weights empty then load it up and take it back for a "reweigh" You'll have real numbers and be able to compare and adjust the WD system accordingly to make sure your truck axles are even.

Enjoy!

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Toy Haulers like this are tricky. I really like the Work-N-Play's and they have the same issue. What I was told when asked is it is that heavy empty so when you load your "toy" in there the tongue weight will lighten. Sucks for when you don't bring a toy, but I can see why it is set up that way. My dad and I have a 20x8 enclosed, but he has the Rebel with air ride. So no matter the tongue weight it finds where it is supposed to be and comes to level. My truck without the air ride is smoother however.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I have Blue Ox Sway pro with 1200lb spring bars for my 7600lb (loaded, 6700lb dry) 31' trailer. Works great over the last 6 years.

Users who are viewing this thread