5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Tonneau Cover

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm actually mostly happy with the soft tri-fold that came with my night edition, but am still thinking about upgrading.

Don't want a retractable one cause I need to be able to completely remove the cover at times. I like the idea of a hard cover (looks more sleek, better seal, probably more durable/will last longer) but am concerned about the weight. I'd also prefer a quad-fold over a tri-fold.

So, do ya'll know of any good quality quad-fold hard tonneau covers that aren't too heavy?

Calileta

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm actually mostly happy with the soft tri-fold that came with my night edition, but am still thinking about upgrading.

Don't want a retractable one cause I need to be able to completely remove the cover at times. I like the idea of a hard cover (looks more sleek, better seal, probably more durable/will last longer) but am concerned about the weight. I'd also prefer a quad-fold over a tri-fold.

So, do ya'll know of any good quality quad-fold hard tonneau covers that aren't too heavy?
I’ve seen some poo poo the bakflip cover, but I’ve had two of them and loved them. I think I had a F1, then a mx4 or something. Both were trifold hard covers, flush with the bed. I did have to raise the last panel to close the tailgate, but that was a very minimal deal.
Sadly, I couldn’t go with the same cover due to the MFT on the new truck. Hence the diamondback which I’m liking a lot so far. Haven’t tried to really load up the truck with this cover so we’ll see. Anyway, if I didn’t have the MFT, I would go with Bakflip in a heartbeat.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I had a soft tri-fold cover on my 11 but I bought a soft roll up cover this go round for my 21 because I like the idea of having full bed access without having to remove it entirely. Not that removing the tri-fold was difficult but it could be a pain if I unexpectedly needed to remove it if I wasnt home and had store it somewhere if I needed the bed access. With the roll up cover it simply does just that. It rolls up to the front of the bed and straps hold it there while driving. When I'm done I simply unroll it, adjust the velcro sides and away I go. Easy peasy. It cost me $179 from amazon six months ago. Just something else for you to consider

jkm312

Reaction score
I bought a Lomax cover this time around. Leightweight, trifold, 60 lbs, flush with the bed, easy in and out. Mine does not interfere with the tailgate. I like it much better than the soft roll up I had on the last truck.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out the Tonno Pro Hard Fold …. Looks like a soft, with hard panels under, light weight, comes off in 2 min, and $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cajun_

Reaction score
i like my lomax. Took awhile to get it to seal near the cab but now its good and dry. Just know that if you want to use the rear third of the bed you need to completely remove the cover instead of folding that part up. removal just takes you pulling a little rope and lifting the cover up and it comes right out. Takes 2 minutes tops, its a really good system.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i like my lomax. Took awhile to get it to seal near the cab but now its good and dry. Just know that if you want to use the rear third of the bed you need to completely remove the cover instead of folding that part up. removal just takes you pulling a little rope and lifting the cover up and it comes right out. Takes 2 minutes tops, its a really good system.
Really liking this one, would probably buy it immediately if it was quad fold. My tri-fold soft cover is rather unwieldy when removing it (I'm not a big dude, 5'7'', 145lbs, small frame) so I imagine a tri-fold hard would be a real pain. Quads stack up smaller/are more compact when folded all the way up and removed.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I've had a tri-fold on every truck I've owned. The Mopar one that came on this truck was garbage. I decided to try something new and got the gator roll up and I love it. Looks a lot better, more low profile and I don't hate the rails like I thought I would. Beats the tri-fold in the sense that I never have to remove it to use the whole bed. It rolls up in a matter or seconds and is almost as quick to unroll. Also the tension is adjustable in case it ever starts getting loose. For $230 shipped on Amazon, I'm happy.
7f285e2bb95dec4234f5d3a05331efa2.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I totally agree with Caliltea, I have had Bakflip on three trucks. But with MFT and no ramboxes the mx4 won’t fit. I went with Extang 2.0 and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It comes off fairly easy if I need the entire bed. But the fixed front panel is frustratIng.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/