5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to trucks

Boston

Reaction score
I'm researching my choices and currently its down to Ram and Ford. So I'm hear to learn.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We need some more information about what you are looking for. What Ram trim level, for example? What engine? What options?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm researching my choices and currently its down to Ram and Ford. So I'm hear to learn.
Drive both and I think the decision will be easy.
The ford is way too "truckish" for me. And the interior is garbage

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like my Ram. It has had a few problems; but they are resolved under warranty at my Service Department. For me, Chevy and GMC was not an option because I think GM has really cheap looking and feeling interiors. The Nissan and Toyota seemed like they were something out of the late eighties or early nineties. Ford was never even a consideration for me, mainly because I hate the look of the door/window line cutout under the side view mirrors. Honestly, I don't think that it is possible to purchase a "perfect" truck. Any truck that you buy from any manufacturer will have some imperfections or quirks. I have always been a MOPAR/Dodge/Plymouth/Ram/Jeep fan; so my decision was pretty easy. Good luck on your search.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Go drive 'em.

I personally didn't even consider Ford because the all-aluminum skin is still too new for my liking. Let's see how the glue they use to hold the panels together holds up over time. And how the body shops handle it. But that's just my personal bias.

I haven't driven an F150 so I don't know how it compares, but my Ram is quiet. And smooth. On California's crappy potholed and cracked freeways, I think it rides better than my wife's Camry; the bigger tires smooth out the surface some and the ride is car-like.

If you plan to tow, compare ratings and what is included with which.

Which is easier for the wife to get in and out of? Are there going to be kids in the back? Are there enough power ports to feed all their electronics?

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This should help you decide..............

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d recommend going and actually doing some research lol. Better yet go test drive a Ford and RAM. See what you think.

drstein

Reaction score
He posted one time, and you keep answering him. Betting he is long gone, or laughing....just sayin

Boston

Reaction score
Actually in the last few weeks I have been far more active, then Covid crap kicked in. I was hoping that my kids college would reopen for him this fall but they just announced they wont open for seniors until January at the earliest.

This kills off the justification for getting a new vehicle. Right now with stock so limited, pricing isn't as good as it was at the start of Covid panic. On the flip side, if they decide to take them back in January, I'll benefit from end of year pricing plus all the rumored updates for 2021 model year.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually in the last few weeks I have been far more active, then Covid crap kicked in. I was hoping that my kids college would reopen for him this fall but they just announced they wont open for seniors until January at the earliest.

This kills off the justification for getting a new vehicle. Right now with stock so limited, pricing isn't as good as it was at the start of Covid panic. On the flip side, if they decide to take them back in January, I'll benefit from end of year pricing plus all the rumored updates for 2021 model year.

I narrowed my choices down to Ford and Ram when I was shopping. Both were similarly priced for a lease. However, I drove the Ram after the Ford and there was no question that it drove better, more stable on turns, more comfortable and the interior amenities look nicer. It just felt solid over bumps and turning. When you’re ready, test drive them both and I think you’ll end up with the Ram too. Good luck.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
I test drove 2 Silverados, 1 F150, 2 Tacomas (pro and off road).... went home with a Big Horn !!! Loving it!!!!

Boston

Reaction score
The Ram’s ride and handling is streets ahead of the Ford.
It’s interior design is cohesive, ergonomic, the Ford is built like a 1980’s GM out of Lego’s.

Last edited:

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
. I have always been a Silverado guy, I’ve owned 4 over the last 13 years, with nothing but very minor issues. With that being said I was ready for a new truck, but the interior of the new Silverado’s suck, gross and the only offer the old man shifter. I thought I would try something different. I also looked at the rams and the f150. I liked both of them, Offered on a new f150 but we were 1000 apart on price. So I went with the ram. I got a lot more options in the ram for the same price as the f150. The ram is the nicest, smoothest, most fun to drive vehicle I’ve ever owned. I went with the 3.92 gears, this thing is like driving a sports car. I really want to love the ram, however I’ve had several problems and ongoing problems. Truck now has 6000 miles on it and it been back to the dealer 7 times now. Truck has a vibration they can’t figure out, tires are wearing funny. They replaced the rack and pinion already, that helped but Its still not right. I Realize that all of these vehicles can have problems. But this is by far the worst I’ve ever had. Good luck in your decision!

Boston

Reaction score
Thanks.

As I mentioned in post 12, the reason we needed another vehicle just evaporated with my kid’s college not reopening except on line. Now looking at probably December at the earliest. At least inventory and deals should be pretty good then.

Reliability cannot be overlooked. My wife’s a little freaked out at the thought of an Ford or Ram in the driveway. I’m not, but might just throw that old Tundra into the mix...

I have time to figure this out.

Users who are viewing this thread