5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to truck world...new to towing.

fastsoup

Reaction score
I didn't say it was unsafe. I commented on the belief that only 40 minutes makes it OK. I don't know what you're pulling or what your weights look like. Put your truck and trailer on a scale, and that should answer your question.

My truck can tow over 11k lbs. That doesn't mean I can just hook up 11k lbs and call it good. My trailer weighs almost 7k lbs and that's about the max I'd consider safe without a lot of work.
Fair enough. My trailer is 7100lbs dry (which it is when taking to storage and bringing back to the site) and my payload is 1338lbs (it's just me in the truck) with nothing else aboard.

So with the Curt hitch, I level out...what more (besides swaying) would the WDH provide me at that point?

I am not trying to argue a point here...just wanting better reason than what I currently have.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough. My trailer is 7100lbs dry (which it is when taking to storage and bringing back to the site) and my payload is 1338lbs (it's just me in the truck) with nothing else aboard.

So with the Curt hitch, I level out...what more (besides swaying) would the WDH provide me at that point?

I am not trying to argue a point here...just wanting better reason than what I currently have.
It would put your weight distribution (on the truck's front/rear axles) back into proper balance. This helps you with steering control, braking, etc.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Have you ever put your truck and trailer on a scale? That would tell you how much you're losing from the front axle. Even with a level trailer, if you have too much weight coming off the front axle you could have issues with steering, braking, and traction. The WDH can help correct that.

For example, my front axle weight without the trailer is 3640. The trailer without WDH takes 300 lbs off my front axle, giving me 3340. With my WDH dialed in, I'm back to 3560, a lot closer to where I want to be.

fastsoup

Reaction score
Have you ever put your truck and trailer on a scale? That would tell you how much you're losing from the front axle. Even with a level trailer, if you have too much weight coming off the front axle you could have issues with steering, braking, and traction. The WDH can help correct that.

For example, my front axle weight without the trailer is 3640. The trailer without WDH takes 300 lbs off my front axle, giving me 3340. With my WDH dialed in, I'm back to 3560, a lot closer to where I want to be.
Right...I copy.

No I have never put it on a scale

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
There is a lot that will determine what your specific truck is “rated for” and even then it’s not just it’s tow rating, payload, GVWR, axle ratings, GCVWR, tire rating etc…. That said with a 7100 lb trailer and only you, going 30 miles. I don’t think it will matter, it will be a “nicer” tow for sure with one though, that’s my 2 cents.
Hookers

fastsoup

Reaction score
I can't help but feel comfortable with that statement. I think everyone is on the ball with the WDH, I just don't see how it will benefit me as much as it can with the short/non intensive route I have to take.

Hopefully I am right 😬

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't help but feel comfortable with that statement. I think everyone is on the ball with the WDH, I just don't see how it will benefit me as much as it can with the short/non intensive route I have to take.

Hopefully I am right 😬
A WDH is a must if you are towing on public roads with that truck and trailer. It isn't just unsafe, it's crazy. You are not only putting yourself in danger, but anyone who gets in your way if things go south. And they can a lot faster than you think. Be safe and tow smart.

Users who are viewing this thread