5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to truck world...new to towing.

fastsoup

Reaction score
Howdy,

Recently we acquired a seasonal full hook up site and purchased a 2022 Jayco 29bh (dry weight around 7100lbs). The trailer needs to be out of the site end of this month. I found a storage facility about 30 mins away straight shot...no hills or long descents.

So we purchased a 2022 Ram Ecodiesel this week to handle the task...the truck won't be towing anything else, no family, just me & the trailer. With that said, will I really need a WDH for such a short distance? I know the "right" thing would be to have one, but being that this trailer will only ever travel that short 30min distance, paying $800 for that WDH seems steep. Now, being new, I don't know ****...hence my post. I won't argue the facts...just need the right direction.

F

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Towing at or near capacity is tricky enough, but as a newbie without a WDH…why would you risk it? The $800 will look pretty cheap if you find yourself in an accident.

fastsoup

Reaction score
Towing at or near capacity is tricky enough, but as a newbie without a WDH…why would you risk it? The $800 will look pretty cheap if you find yourself in an accident.

Near capacity? That truck is rated for 12500 no?

Creep0321

Reaction score
There is a lot that will determine what your specific truck is “rated for” and even then it’s not just it’s tow rating, payload, GVWR, axle ratings, GCVWR, tire rating etc…. That said with a 7100 lb trailer and only you, going 30 miles. I don’t think it will matter, it will be a “nicer” tow for sure with one though, that’s my 2 cents.

fastsoup

Reaction score
There is a lot that will determine what your specific truck is “rated for” and even then it’s not just it’s tow rating, payload, GVWR, axle ratings, GCVWR, tire rating etc…. That said with a 7100 lb trailer and only you, going 30 miles. I don’t think it will matter, it will be a “nicer” tow for sure with one though, that’s my 2 cents.
Yes...I do believe the tow would be far more enjoyable...but I'll be on high alert, etc not going above 80-90kph.

With that out of the way, is this hitch a good quality one that I can also use to tow my boat?

CURT Manufacturing 45900 Channel-Style Adjuastable Dual Ball Mount https://a.co/d/duWgBiC

Ratchet

Reaction score
After towing anything of significant weight, I'll never not tow without a WDH. Why? Traffic sucks. So do cell phone road zombies. Plus, as mentioned above, having a WDH looks a lot better on an insurance claim if you were to get into an accident.

fastsoup

Reaction score
After towing anything of significant weight, I'll never not tow without a WDH. Why? Traffic sucks. So do cell phone road zombies. Plus, as mentioned above, having a WDH looks a lot better on an insurance claim if you were to get into an accident.
Love the avatar..."I'm you're huckleberry".

I honestly am not too worried about the road...I'll move it when things are quiet. I just didn't want it to be completely unsafe...if it's manageable with heavy operator involvement, I'd rather put that money towards a good quality adjustable hitch.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Haha. Thanks! Best movie ever.

I went the adjustable hitch route years ago. Broke bad and bought individual hitches for some of the toys. Hated having to fiddle around with it. Of course, if no wdh is being used, they do have their advantages.

fastsoup

Reaction score
Haha. Thanks! Best movie ever.

I went the adjustable hitch route years ago. Broke bad and bought individual hitches for some of the toys. Hated having to fiddle around with it. Of course, if no wdh is being used, they do have their advantages.
Fabulous movie...always love watching it during the holidays.

Ok so don't go adjustable hitch route? I thought they are good as they help with "leveling"?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Near capacity? That truck is rated for 12500 no?
It’s not pulling capacity that will limit you. It’s almost always payload capacity. With a 7100-lb dry weight, let’s say you’re at 8,000 lbs loaded. Figure 12% tongue weight, you’re at 960 lbs tongue weight. Add yourself to the carrying weight, and you’re at 1160 lbs. what does your door sticker say your maximum payload is?

fastsoup

Reaction score
It’s not pulling capacity that will limit you. It’s almost always payload capacity. With a 7100-lb dry weight, let’s say you’re at 8,000 lbs loaded. Figure 12% tongue weight, you’re at 960 lbs tongue weight. Add yourself to the carrying weight, and you’re at 1160 lbs. what does your door sticker say your maximum payload is?
I attached a photo of the door card...not sure what to look for.

Attachments

• PXL_20220909_054546259.jpg
    PXL_20220909_054546259.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 46

fastsoup

Reaction score
Being totally new to this, if my payload is 1331lbs, do I subtract that from 12000 or is there another equation involved?

I have the tow package, 392 rear end, & lsd.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No. Towing is limited by a couple of factors, as @Creep0321 said above.
"Towing capacity" is how much you can pull. But your truck is also limited by how much weight it can carry. That's what I'm talking about with payload. Tongue weight (the vertical component) affects your available payload.
Your payload capacity is 1331. Based on the assumptions above, you're probably carrying 1160 lbs including tongue weight and yourself. So you're under max payload. That said, you'll have almost 1000 lbs on your trailer hitch, which will severely throw off your weight balance (front axle / rear axle). So you'll be nose-high. A weight-distributing hitch corrects that and balances you out. But it also adds another ~100 lbs to the total payload you're carrying.
Either way, you're probably fine for a short-distance, easy-going, no-traffic, one-time pull. But if you ever plan on using that trailer to travel, I think you're in the wrong truck. Once you add passengers and gear to your truck, you'll be over the payload capacity. These 1/2 ton trucks just aren't built to pull big travel trailers adequately. Despite the "12000 lb towing capacity!!" hype by Ram.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For an alternative view, If this is the only trip the trailer is going to make for the foreseeable future....

a) Since you bought an entire new truck for this one task, what's another $800? Especially since you can likely sell the hitch after you use if for most of the purchase price (especially after just 1 use).

or

b) Can you return the truck and hire someone to move it for far less than $800?

The others have covered the basics...
If you are a towing newbie, starting out with an 8.000 lb parachute and no WD hitch is not advised, unless maybe your route is a closed course with no other drivers along the way.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And then, there's the trailer toad. Sort of don't like the idea myself, just sayin'...

fastsoup

Reaction score
For an alternative view, If this is the only trip the trailer is going to make for the foreseeable future....

a) Since you bought an entire new truck for this one task, what's another $800? Especially since you can likely sell the hitch after you use if for most of the purchase price (especially after just 1 use).

or

b) Can you return the truck and hire someone to move it for far less than $800?

The others have covered the basics...
If you are a towing newbie, starting out with an 8.000 lb parachute and no WD hitch is not advised, unless maybe your route is a closed course with no other drivers along the way.
I purchased the truck for other things as well...and yes, this short little trip is the only travel this trailer & truck combo will be doing.

So the consensus is to get the WDH...if it levels out the load and prevents any potential issues...then that's it.

Are they specific to trailers/trucks or are they pretty generic?

Users who are viewing this thread