5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to site and Major Steering Issues

Senshi

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 2019 1500 Longhorn 4x4 with 22k miles. Purchased new.
I started having a steering issue on Friday the 23rd of Jan. while trying to turn right at corner, wheel locked up for a few seconds and I slid into a curb causing slight alignment issue.
Brought to dealer and they did the $120 alignment for $286... Saying they needed to do more than standard alignment. Truck released to me on 25th, Good to Go I'm told.
Drove home, seemed to be fine.
Drove truck again on 27th and pulling out on main road from my house steering totally locked up. Causing me to be stuck and needed to get towed to dealer.
Was told 28th by dealer that all seemed fine. I picked up truck on 29th and drove about 4 miles and steering totally and fully locked up again and when trying to turn steering wheel a very loud screeching scream.
Steering wheel will only turn 6" or so either direction with wheels not moving. Had to have towed again to dealer...
Now the dealer told me they need to replace the power steering rack and pinion and they are on back order for 45 days....
Loner vehicle, no but they say the warranty will cover $40 per day and I will be responsible for the balance... What the???
Anyone else having or had similar steering issues?
Thanks...

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome.. damn that sucks, any TSB's for this type of issue on the 19's?

Senshi

Reaction score
not sure
service manager said there was a STAR Case # that he had service advisor look into and they told me they did it and I was good to go..

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 2019 1500 Longhorn 4x4 with 22k miles. Purchased new.
I started having a steering issue on Friday the 23rd of Jan. while trying to turn right at corner, wheel locked up for a few seconds and I slid into a curb causing slight alignment issue.
Brought to dealer and they did the $120 alignment for $286... Saying they needed to do more than standard alignment. Truck released to me on 25th, Good to Go I'm told.
Drove home, seemed to be fine.
Drove truck again on 27th and pulling out on main road from my house steering totally locked up. Causing me to be stuck and needed to get towed to dealer.
Was told 28th by dealer that all seemed fine. I picked up truck on 29th and drove about 4 miles and steering totally and fully locked up again and when trying to turn steering wheel a very loud screeching scream.
Steering wheel will only turn 6" or so either direction with wheels not moving. Had to have towed again to dealer...
Now the dealer told me they need to replace the power steering rack and pinion and they are on back order for 45 days....
Loner vehicle, no but they say the warranty will cover $40 per day and I will be responsible for the balance... What the???
Anyone else having or had similar steering issues?
Thanks...
FCA is really dropping the ball on customer service when they tell you that you are going to be out of pocket for just wanting a replacement type of vehicle like the type you had...
RAM Cares really needs ro be involved in this stupidity.

Businesses of all kinds lose more customers via this type of ”penny wise, pound foolish” behavior, just like they lose more good employees “out the back door” due to failing to take decent care of them.

Users who are viewing this thread