5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Ram! Need help with running boards and other things!

Afesposi

Reaction score
Hi all!
I am a proud owner of a new 2024 Tradesman 1500 crew cab. I have always wanted a truck and now, even better, I am part of this awesome forum!

I am looking to add a few things and wanted to know your advice. I of course have searched existing forums, but it's hard to track down suggested brands.
1- I want to add running boards/step rails for the sides to get in - any suggested brands you all like?
2- I would also like to get a good bed cover ( I was thinking Gator but open to suggestions)
3- I would love to get a good bed mat/tailgate mat and was thinking Mopar, but they're about 220 with shipping - ouch!

Thank you all so much in advance!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am a proud owner of a new 2024 Tradesman 1500 crew cab. I have always wanted a truck and now, even better, I am part of this awesome forum!

I am looking to add a few things and wanted to know your advice. I of course have searched existing forums, but it's hard to track down suggested brands.
1- I want to add running boards/step rails for the sides to get in - any suggested brands you all like?
2- I would also like to get a good bed cover ( I was thinking Gator but open to suggestions)
3- I would love to get a good bed mat/tailgate mat and was thinking Mopar, but they're about 220 with shipping - ouch!

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. If you use the search feature of this site, you will find all your answers from the many threads already posted on these topics.

Jako

Reaction score
1. Running boards.

-Find OEM on For Sale or put out a WTB

2. https ://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tonneau-cover-thread-compilation-maybe.18241/

-Bak Flip MX4

3. Suggestions for a tailgate mat?

-Highly recommend, no drilling uses existing holes

Best wishes, good luck on your decision and keep us posted.

And for future consideration

Last edited:

irishwake63

Reaction score
I put cheap 150.00 running boards on my last ram and f150 and they work just as well as the OEM just a whole bunch cheaper mine had no rust etc as far as the bed why not a spray in you can do it yourself with raptor about 150 and a few hours of prep looks great and last a long time

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all!

Welcome!!

I like Aries brand and they're quality is great! Ran them on my 4th Gen.

I had the Bak Revolver 4XS and worked great. I sold for a topper.

No experience with bed mats, as I usually go with Bedrug, but don't haul much if anything. Bedrug does have a few options though.

Jako

Reaction score
I put cheap 150.00 running boards on my last ram and f150 and they work just as well as the OEM just a whole bunch cheaper mine had no rust etc as far as the bed why not a spray in you can do it yourself with raptor about 150 and a few hours of prep looks great and last a long time
I did that for my first set because I needed something quick and OEM were not available at the time (late 2018 and 2019), the brackets did peel and rust. My 2001 Dodge Ram OEM are still in service. There are deals out there for OEM on Craigslist and such, that may take time. But I have seen OEM go for sale on both sides of $200. If not in a rush it happens.
Buying OEM retail is expensive in my eyes. Although Black Friday deals may not be as bad. I spent $390 free shipping on the Matte Black OEM in Nov. 2019, which were hard to come by for some time.

I am not knocking after market as I am sure there are plenty of satisfied customers just stating my own experience.

Afesposi

Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. If you use the search feature of this site, you will find all your answers from the many threads already posted on these topics.
I did and couldn't find anything on these except models that weren't mine - thanks!

Afesposi

Reaction score
1. Running boards.

-Find OEM on For Sale or put out a WTB

2. https ://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tonneau-cover-thread-compilation-maybe.18241/

-Bak Flip MX4

3. Suggestions for a tailgate mat?

-Highly recommend, no drilling uses existing holes

Best wishes, good luck on your decision and keep us posted.

And for future consideration
THis is really amazing - thank you so much for all these details man!

Afesposi

Reaction score
awesome thank you so much!!

vincentw56

Reaction score
I did and couldn't find anything on these except models that weren't mine - thanks!
Doesn't really matter what model, a Ram 1500 is a Ram 1500 regardless of model. The items you asked about aren't model specific.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I guess we shouldn't bother asking anymore? Just lock up the forum and call it a day, all the answers are posted. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

vincentw56

Reaction score
So I guess we shouldn't bother asking anymore? Just lock up the forum and call it a day, all the answers are posted. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Or you know, do your own work first before asking the same questions over and over and expecting everyone else to do the work for you. Don't be lazy.

vincentw56

Reaction score
OR, if you don't want to asnwer... scroll right by. I know you can't do that, you would rather knock someone for asking questions. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Guess we both can't do that. Anyway, it was a suggestion to use search. The fact is, there are a lot of people who don't even know about it. But thanks for adding helpful information and not scrolling by.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Suggestion, got it!
Whatever. You just going to troll my posts or do you have something to actually contribute to this thread? Bet you you will reply since you seen to have nothing better to do than troll. Anyway, moving on from this troll.

Afesposi

Reaction score
Welcome!!

I like Aries brand and they're quality is great! Ran them on my 4th Gen.

I had the Bak Revolver 4XS and worked great. I sold for a topper.

No experience with bed mats, as I usually go with Bedrug, but don't haul much if anything. Bedrug does have a few options though.
I appreciate all this awesome info!

Realtruck

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It's STEPtember here at RealTruck! We've got a large selection of nerf bars, running boards and electric running boards that are a perfect fit for your new Tradesman. See our post here:

Upgrade Your Truck with Premium Running Boards from RealTruck! 🚚💨

We also carry a variety of trusted brands for tonneau covers, Gator being our in-house brand. If you have any questions on fitment, availability, ship times, or would like a pricing quote, please PM me or email me at [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread