5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Ram and have quesitons

Helo-tech

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently picked up my new '19 Ram Big Horn, new body style.

it has the 5.7 with the E-Torque motor in it which I'm not sure is worth anything or not at this point. I only have about 700 miles on the truck so I don't have enough experience with it to tell yet.

anyway, my questions are:

is there anyway to permanently disable the "auto stop/start" feature? it currently defaults to active when you start the motor, then I have to remember to turn it off on the dash every time I start the truck.

does anyone notice that the MDS system doesn't seem to work quite right? on this truck, the only time I see it go into MDS mode is when coasting down a hill, even while maintaining highway speeds on level ground it never comes on. I had a '17 Challenger with the 5.7 MDS and that car seemed like it hardly ever came out of MDS mode, only when really getting on it hard.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently picked up my new '19 Ram Big Horn, new body style.

it has the 5.7 with the E-Torque motor in it which I'm not sure is worth anything or not at this point. I only have about 700 miles on the truck so I don't have enough experience with it to tell yet.

anyway, my questions are:

is there anyway to permanently disable the "auto stop/start" feature? it currently defaults to active when you start the motor, then I have to remember to turn it off on the dash every time I start the truck.

does anyone notice that the MDS system doesn't seem to work quite right? on this truck, the only time I see it go into MDS mode is when coasting down a hill, even while maintaining highway speeds on level ground it never comes on. I had a '17 Challenger with the 5.7 MDS and that car seemed like it hardly ever came out of MDS mode, only when really getting on it hard.

I believe the only product (that I know of) that can disable stop/start permanently is the Tazer (search for it, lots of threads on this). Runs around $300 and it does much more, like enabling cameras at any speed, able to type addresses on Uconnect when driving (passenger of course), and many other features. Pretty neat product. On my short list.

Regarding MDS, give it time and as the tranny learns your driving style, it will come on more often. Very common.

Cheers and welcome to the forums,
Neurobit

J4U

Reaction score
Seat belt not buckled it will not engage auto/stop. Seat belt hack to get rid of dings as well.

Other than tazer or the like default on it is.

Helo-tech

Reaction score
OK, thanks guys.

I had the Tazer in my Challenger which seems to be a great addition, I had all the bells and whistles turned on in my base model R/T. I still need to sell that unit so I can get one for the truck.

Lize

Reaction score
I've done 1500 miles and my MDS comes on more often now, not sure what that says about my driving but it also coincides with me installing a Pedal Commander set on Sport+ mode. I think the E-Torque only comes into play with the start/stop feature so more relevant for city driving, something to think about if it makes much difference for you.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you unclip the hood sensor, that should also disable the start/stop. I know this works on my girlfriends 2019 grand cherokee - you do get the little exclamation point light on the dash, but that's it. Best part, it's free to do it and you can just plug it back in when you're ready or have to take the truck in for service.

Users who are viewing this thread