5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to me Ram Truck!!

Rambilt

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie with Etorque last Friday. Traded a 2022 Toyota 4runner for it was having a tough time pulling a 21ft. travel trailer. Wife was not impress with the way the 4runner struggles specially on hills. The Ram has a 3.21 rear end which I'm thinking good enough for the size of the trailer with tongue weight of 480lbs and the gross vehicle weight is 4480lbs.

Wife and I fell in love with the way this Ram rides. I thought my previous Tundra (2013) ride was nice but this Ram surely beats it easily. This Ram rides is so quiet, shifts gear smoothly and it has plenty of power. We haven't tried pulling with it yet but its coming. Hopefully this truck last us a long time.

GrumpyOleMan

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck. You don't mention if you have the Hemi or Pentastar etorque. Not sure if the V6 is available with the 3.21 but the Hemi would handle 4500 lbs with the 3.21 with no problems. Be sure to post your reaction after towing for the first time.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck. lets us know how it tows for you.

Rambilt

Reaction score
Well it towed my trailer fine plenty of power but a few miles before i got home the display screen locked up it just froze. When I got home i was able to park the trailer then park the truck in my drive way then I shut the truck off. Big mistake, the power step didn't deploy no display whatsoever the truck just went dead!!! Waiting on tow truck right now.

What do you guys think happened?!!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My money is battery took a poop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OKCBamaEngr

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck, and sorry for the possible electronics issue. For your long-term towing question, I traded my v6 2018 4th gen Tradesman 4x4 crew cab for a 2023 Big Horn, same configuration, v6 again, but this time with e Torque - both have the 3.21 rear diff. My truck has the lowest tow ratings of the 5th gen Ram 1500 family at 6,280 lbs, so I think you're ok. The e Torque actually added about 2,000 lbs to my towing capacity. I think that you'll be fine. Hope you get your current issues resolved soon.

Rambilt

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck, and sorry for the possible electronics issue. For your long-term towing question, I traded my v6 2018 4th gen Tradesman 4x4 crew cab for a 2023 Big Horn, same configuration, v6 again, but this time with e Torque - both have the 3.21 rear diff. My truck has the lowest tow ratings of the 5th gen Ram 1500 family at 6,280 lbs, so I think you're ok. The e Torque actually added about 2,000 lbs to my towing capacity. I think that you'll be fine. Hope you get your current issues resolved soon.
OKCBamaEngr, thank you for your response. Yes I got it back from the dealership last Thursday. It was a loose connection they said. Hopefully that's it. I may have to replace my battery as was suggested here in the forum. Thanks again.

v/r

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread