5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Lifts

CJR28

Reaction score
Hey, totally new to lifts, I would like to level/lift my 20’ Built to Serve. Im currently looking at the Mopar 2” lift. My BTS i believe already came equipped with the ORP package and i am wondering if this will get me close to level. What should i expect to pay for the install? Ive already purchased the kit from Ebay. If installed from an outside shop is it still covered by the warranty? And what is the biggest tire size i can fit without rubbing.Thanks in advance, CJR

IowaRam

Reaction score
Hey, totally new to lifts, I would like to level/lift my 20’ Built to Serve. Im currently looking at the Mopar 2” lift. My BTS i believe already came equipped with the ORP package and i am wondering if this will get me close to level. What should i expect to pay for the install? Ive already purchased the kit from Ebay. If installed from an outside shop is it still covered by the warranty? And what is the biggest tire size i can fit without rubbing.Thanks in advance, CJR

I purchased a 2020 Built-to-Serve back on 2/22/20, and I have been doing a ton of research on levels/lifts. At first I was doing all my research under the presumption that the truck has the Off Road Group (ORP or ORG), but I'm not so sure that's the case. If you look at the window sticker the BTS comes with E-Locking Rear, Front Suspension Skid Plate, Fuel Tank Skid Plate, Full Size Spare, Hill Descent Control, Tow Hooks, Steering Gear Skid plate, and Transfer Case Skid Plate. However, it does not mention, "Front Extra Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers" or "Rear Extra Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers". The BTS does come with the Falcon AT Tires which also comes with the ORP, but is not mentioned on the Window Sticker. So either we have all the ORP items, but the shocks werent listed on the window sticker, or they gave the BTS everything from the ORP except the shocks.

I have also measured the wheel hub to fender and they measure the same as a non ORP laramie (used laramie as reference because they have the fender flares).

I plan to crawl under the truck to look at the parts to see if they have the ORP shocks or Springs, but I'm not sure our truck has the additional 1" lift which changes how I plan to lift it. If you find out anything let me know.

Last edited:

CJR28

Reaction score
I have Bilstein 5100s for the front on order and im still debating what to set them to.(Im thinking setting #4). I did notice that the window sticker doesn't mention the ORP. Ill do some more digging to find out exactly what set up our trucks came with.

IowaRam

Reaction score
I have Bilstein 5100s for the front on order and im still debating what to set them to.(Im thinking setting #4). I did notice that the window sticker doesn't mention the ORP. Ill do some more digging to find out exactly what set up our trucks came with.
So i got under the truck and found something I wasn't expecting. The front and rear shocks are ORP part numbers. (Rear- 68262592AC) (Front- 68277314AC), but the springs are for standard crew cab trucks (Rear- 68262675AB) (Front- 68320236AB). From my research, the springs are what cause the 1" lift on ORP, which would make sense why my truck measures nearly identical to the non-ORP laramies. 21.5 hub to fender flare lip.

@rsonedecker - I have tagged you for any insight. It seems like you were the expert on this when researching past forums. Any insight? This may also confirm your strong assumption that the springs cause the lift on ORP trucks.

CJR28

Reaction score
So im planning on doing Bilstein 5100 front and rears, Mopar UCAs, and adding a 1” spacer to the rear. Im wondering what i should set the Bilsteins to in front, #6? If the springs on our trucks are not ORP springs, I should be ok with this set up. Have you figured anything else out about our shocks/springs? And what are your lift plans?

IowaRam

Reaction score
So im planning on doing Bilstein 5100 front and rears, Mopar UCAs, and adding a 1” spacer to the rear. Im wondering what i should set the Bilsteins to in front, #6? If the springs on our trucks are not ORP springs, I should be ok with this set up. Have you figured anything else out about our shocks/springs? And what are your lift plans?
Haha, I am literally reading through the 40 page Bilstein 5100 thread as I got your notification. I am still on the fence. I really like the look the Readylift 3.5" gives. I had done most of my research thinking we had an ORP truck so I planned to "make" a lift similar to the ready lift kit. My old plan was to use a 2 or 2.5" top-hat (on top of the 1" stock lift) and then use a 1 or 1.5" rear spacer. I purchased the Rough Country "scratch and dent" UCAs for $110 bucks. I figured for the price they are better than the Mopar UCAs because they are designed for 3+" of lift not just a balljoint with higher degree of motion.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. after reading the Bilstein thread alot of people said that route is better than a top hat. However, I don't want to buy the Bilstein 5100s and run them on the highest setting as that makes a lot of preload on the spring. My thought now is to possibly is to use a 1.5" or 2" top-hat and the Bilsteins on setting #4 or# 5 and then it splits the difference between preload and a strut spacer, just like the readylift does, but i'll get the benefit of a much better shock. and i'll get around 3-3.5" of lift. Then of course a 1 or 1.5" rear spacer.

Are you just trying to get 2" of lift? what has made you decide against a 2" Top-hat?

One thing to note- I pulled the buildsheet up using- https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin= and my build sheet includes a line item saying "Raised Ride Height" but I am sure the springs on my truck are not the ORP springs. I think I'm going to go the dealer to measure some other trucks and look at their part numbers. Have you crawled under your truck to see if its the same? ORP (extra heavy duty shocks) and standard springs?

I hope this helps, and I'm open to any advice you have as finding out my BTS didn't have the ORP shocks was a curveball.

fjoseph12

Reaction score
What’s good guys..new to the forum here. Just got my first ram yesterday and was wondering if anybody’s running the 3.5in readylift kit or knows anyone that does. How is the ride quality and what size wheels and tires are yall running?

richardfl

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 BTS and has the Extra Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers (front and Rear) as listed on the spec sheet. The truck looks more level to me that other Ram's. I'm not sure if this is just me or actually is. Are you saying the Extra Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers in the front have an additional 1" height as compare to other 4x4 Rams?

IowaRam

Reaction score
The springs are what cause the extra lift. My BTS while it had the ORP listed on window sticker, but only had the Extra Heavy Duty shock absorbers, not the ORP springs. Not sure if that was an error at factory or if all are like that. You can look at the part numbers on the springs to determine.

Mogen89

Reaction score
Haha, I am literally reading through the 40 page Bilstein 5100 thread as I got your notification. I am still on the fence. I really like the look the Readylift 3.5" gives. I had done most of my research thinking we had an ORP truck so I planned to "make" a lift similar to the ready lift kit. My old plan was to use a 2 or 2.5" top-hat (on top of the 1" stock lift) and then use a 1 or 1.5" rear spacer. I purchased the Rough Country "scratch and dent" UCAs for $110 bucks. I figured for the price they are better than the Mopar UCAs because they are designed for 3+" of lift not just a balljoint with higher degree of motion.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. after reading the Bilstein thread alot of people said that route is better than a top hat. However, I don't want to buy the Bilstein 5100s and run them on the highest setting as that makes a lot of preload on the spring. My thought now is to possibly is to use a 1.5" or 2" top-hat and the Bilsteins on setting #4 or# 5 and then it splits the difference between preload and a strut spacer, just like the readylift does, but i'll get the benefit of a much better shock. and i'll get around 3-3.5" of lift. Then of course a 1 or 1.5" rear spacer.

Are you just trying to get 2" of lift? what has made you decide against a 2" Top-hat?

One thing to note- I pulled the buildsheet up using- https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin= and my build sheet includes a line item saying "Raised Ride Height" but I am sure the springs on my truck are not the ORP springs. I think I'm going to go the dealer to measure some other trucks and look at their part numbers. Have you crawled under your truck to see if its the same? ORP (extra heavy duty shocks) and standard springs?

I hope this helps, and I'm open to any advice you have as finding out my BTS didn't have the ORP shocks was a curveball.
I wouldn't worry about extra preload on the springs with the Bilsteins. The springs are going to be compressed to the point where they support the weight of the vehicle and that will be the same amount of compression regardless of the preload. So effectively the springs will be the same height and load as before but they'll sit higher on the shock tube, so the overall assembly will be longer when the weight of the truck is on it.

I can't speak to the Ram since mine's on order and I don't plan on lifting/leveling it right away, but I did put a set of the Bilstein 5100s on my 2001 Tacoma (a year ago) and have loved the results. Ride is way better, but I think I was running on 20 year old shocks anyway, so no surprise there. It also was nice to get a little lift. I hadn't actually planned on doing the raised height, but since the spring perches were already on the high setting I was like..... eh let's try it.

jchurchbrah

Reaction score
What’s good guys..new to the forum here. Just got my first ram yesterday and was wondering if anybody’s running the 3.5in readylift kit or knows anyone that does. How is the ride quality and what size wheels and tires are yall running?
Got it on mine and love it. Little more rear end kick on highway bumbs and such but nothing too bad. Besides my teeth cringing mid west rust belt potholes. Seen quite a few people state it’s a little rougher than stock. Came with it from dealer, so not sure.
I would love to make it a little more smoother so I can haul *** and float/flop trophy truck style over railroads. But back to reality how would I go about making my 3.5” ReadyLift with UCA’s on a non off road package people?

Users who are viewing this thread