5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Forum, happy 2021 RAM 1500 owner

photoguy

Reaction score
Just thought I’d introduce myself. Purchased my 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie a few months ago, has 34k miles, this truck is great! Just did my scheduled maintenance, like working on my vehicles. Did my first trailer tow recently, very smooth, only pulling 3000 lbs. Glad to be here, sure I will learn a lot and hopefully contribute at some point.

I‘m really interested in purchasing a scanner tool, I’m confused on what to purchase. Seems It’s not a straightforward task? Any thoughts would be great.

Excited to be here!

IMG_4342.jpeg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just thought I’d introduce myself. Purchased my 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie a few months ago, has 34k miles, this truck is great! Just did my scheduled maintenance, like working on my vehicles. Did my first trailer tow recently, very smooth, only pulling 3000 lbs. Glad to be here, sure I will learn a lot and hopefully contribute at some point.

I‘m really interested in purchasing a scanner tool, I’m confused on what to purchase. Seems It’s not a straightforward task? Any thoughts would be great.

Excited to be here!

View attachment 186194

Welcome aboard, happy to meet a new forum member.

For a scanner tool, you can buy as cheap as $15 for a simple Dongle on Amazon and download an app, usually works great, it's what I mainly use. But they sell stand alone hand held units that often can sometimes give more info. I would go cheap first and see if it fits what you need, hopefully you won't need it much other than to reset an emissions code or something simple like that.

I've owned my 2019 since new and in the 5 years I've had it, I haven't gotten a single code yet, but still good to have it.

This is the one I use, works great with the Torque Pro App: Amazon.com and For IOS: Amazon.com

Stand Alone Unit I also have if you don't want to use a cellphone App: Amazon.com

Last edited:

photoguy

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, happy to meet a new forum member.

For a scanner tool, you can buy as cheap as $15 for a simple Dongle on Amazon and download an app, usually works great, it's what I mainly use. But they sell stand alone hand held units that often can sometimes give more info. I would go cheap first and see if it fits what you need, hopefully you won't need it much other than to reset an emissions code or something simple like that.

I've owned my 2019 since new and in the 5 years I've had it, I haven't gotten a single code yet, but still good to have it.

This is the one I use, works great with the Torque Pro App: Amazon.com and For IOS: Amazon.com

Stand Alone Unit I also have if you don't want to use a cellphone App: Amazon.com
Thanks a ton! No codes in 5 years, that’s pretty sweet. I‘m used to a standalone something up to $200, generally like what has pretty detailed info. I thought access to the system wasn’t permitted without some sort of subscription? I watched some guy on YouTube pull the info screen to access a port, I’m sure service guys wouldn’t be doing that often.

Really appreciate the reply, will check out your suggestions. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread