5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to forum and looking at EcoDiesel, how is yours fairing?

Mchurch52

Reaction score
The MOPAR oil filter on dieselfiltersonline for the Gen 3 runs $43.95. MOPAR offers a service contract of 4 oils changes for $400, tough to beat that price even doing it yourself. I have 17,000 miles on mine with zero issues, love it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much to debate on the oil choices, rotella T6 is not ms-12991 approved nor does it have the API-sn certification. It’s pretty sad that FCA has not updated all of its dealers on the misprinted manuals, nor have they sent out copies to owners with the correct information.

Aftermarket filters should be available soon so we don’t have to get overcharged at the dealers for them, although they have went way down in price since March.

Anyways, I’m near 27000km now and have had no drivetrain issues. A few minor issues that my local dealer has fixed (minus the tailgate ajar warning).
You put a lot of km’s on your truck, good to hear that you had no issues with the engine.
I will talk to my dealer again on Monday about the oil, you are absolutely correct about the oil specifications in the manual.
I checked the manual for the previous generation ED and it specifies shell rotella.
Shell rotella is Diesel engine oil only.
Pennzoil 5w40 euro does not have the ms-12991
What brand of oil do you use for your truck?

jasnak

Reaction score
I have more than 11,000 km, no engine issues, at 32% oil life remaining. Exceptional fuel mileage compared to my 2011 Hemi.
I added one litre of oil, the oil was at the lower mark of the dipstick at around 5,000km and hasn’t gone down since. It may not have been full from day one.

The oil and filter is very costly compared to the Hemi, so I did buy Shell Rotella T6 bulk pail, 18.9L, that’s the oil my FCA dealer uses for the 3rd gen ED. That will start another oil debate issue!!!

I am waiting to see what the price will be for the OEM oil filter at rockauto.com, they are out of stock at the moment, I know that the OEM fuel filter is around $20 cheaper there.
I’m about at that 10000kms now. What about your def fluid usage? I find mine is using way too much. I will burn close to 80+ litres of urea in 10000kms. My 17 super duty maybe use 40litres in 10000kms and that’s pulling a trailer mostly

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use pennzoil euro platinum, also I’d say 1/3 of my miles are towing a 17ft enclosed trailer. And 4500-5000km are at -20c and below.

Attachments

• C06554AC-74CC-4A8F-8E4B-F34278BEAB20.png
    C06554AC-74CC-4A8F-8E4B-F34278BEAB20.png
    547.1 KB · Views: 8

Mchurch52

Reaction score
You put a lot of km’s on your truck, good to hear that you had no issues with the engine.
I will talk to my dealer again on Monday about the oil, you are absolutely correct about the oil specifications in the manual.
I checked the manual for the previous generation ED and it specifies shell rotella.
Shell rotella is Diesel engine oil only.
Pennzoil 5w40 euro does not have the ms-12991
What brand of oil do you use for your truck?
MOPAR MaxPro 5w40 P/N 68231020AA is what my dealer uses, after I correct them every time they pull out the Rotella.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m about at that 10000kms now. What about your def fluid usage? I find mine is using way too much. I will burn close to 80+ litres of urea in 10000kms. My 17 super duty maybe use 40litres in 10000kms and that’s pulling a trailer mo
There's no way you should be using that much DEF. That would mean you're only getting 2500km or so per tank of DEF which is crazy. I get around 8,000km per tank.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use pennzoil euro platinum, also I’d say 1/3 of my miles are towing a 17ft enclosed trailer. And 4500-5000km are at -20c and below.
Thank you, I did not see the full ms listing on the Canadian tire website.
The Pennzoil 5w40 is on sale at Canadian tire 5L jug for $26.99, regular at $59.99.
I will still contact the dealer to let them know about this issue.

jasnak

Reaction score
There's no way you should be using that much DEF. That would mean you're only getting 2500km or so per tank of DEF which is crazy. I get around 8,000km per tank.
Ya what I thought.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m about at that 10000kms now. What about your def fluid usage? I find mine is using way too much. I will burn close to 80+ litres of urea in 10000kms. My 17 super duty maybe use 40litres in 10000kms and that’s pulling a trailer mostly
Something is not right with the consumption of def with your truck. Sounds like you are not new to diesels, so take it to the dealer to get it checked out.

At 7,000km I got a warning to add def, the def gauge was just below 1/4 tank, I added one 9.4L jug and two 3.78L jugs. About 2500km of towing, I’d say 75% highway driving.
It looks like it will be about the same for the next def fill up, the truck is at around 11,111km and the def gauge is slightly below 1/2. I’m doing a lot less towing now but I am using the remote start for about 10 minutes every afternoon when I leave work, winter is here, less towing but more idling so about the same def usage.

jasnak

Reaction score
Something is not right with the consumption of def with your truck. Sounds like you are not new to diesels, so take it to the dealer to get it checked out.

At 7,000km I got a warning to add def, the def gauge was just below 1/4 tank, I added one 9.4L jug and two 3.78L jugs. About 2500km of towing, I’d say 75% highway driving.
It looks like it will be about the same for the next def fill up, the truck is at around 11,111km and the def gauge is slightly below 1/2. I’m doing a lot less towing now but I am using the remote start for about 10 minutes every afternoon when I leave work, winter is here, less towing but more idling so about the same def usage.
I’m lifted on 35’s but still seems like high usage

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much to debate on the oil choices, rotella T6 is not ms-12991 approved nor does it have the API-sn certification. It’s pretty sad that FCA has not updated all of its dealers on the misprinted manuals, nor have they sent out copies to owners with the correct information.

Aftermarket filters should be available soon so we don’t have to get overcharged at the dealers for them, although they have went way down in price since March.

Anyways, I’m near 27000km now and have had no drivetrain issues. A few minor issues that my local dealer has fixed (minus the tailgate ajar warning).
API SN is a gasoline engine spec and isnt applicable to a diesel engine.

but I don't expect FCA to care since they can't even print the manuals right in the first place.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My fuel average is 11L/100km mixed driving and def is 1L/400km.
I won’t be adding so much def on the next fill up, I will keep it at around half, to avoid freezing.
My Rebel has the 98L tank and gets around 800km before fuelling so adding a 4L jug on every second fill is a good guideline.
I keep a sticky note on the box of def to keep track of the ratio.

jasnak

Reaction score
Ha
That's absolutely horrendous fuel economy. How fast do you drive?
Ha. 110km/hr. It’s a rebel so with the front bumper being so high with the 6 inch lift on 35’s isn’t helping. It hardly has enough power/torque to keep it in 8th gear. Probably 1/2 the problem. It will be in 7th a lot of the time. I don’t buy a truck for fuel economy anyhoo. Just going back to my def usage post I think is way too high. Wasn’t concerned about my fuel mileage

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha

Ha. 110km/hr. It’s a rebel so with the front bumper being so high with the 6 inch lift on 35’s isn’t helping. It hardly has enough power/torque to keep it in 8th gear. Probably 1/2 the problem. It will be in 7th a lot of the time. I don’t buy a truck for fuel economy anyhoo. Just going back to my def usage post I think is way too high. Wasn’t concerned about my fuel mileage
110kph on the speedo, with those tires your speed will be off, and your km distance also, you can maybe check the difference with a gps.
That will offset your L/100km, by going 2 inches bigger on the wheel, you actually travel 6.28” more per revolution or 160mm, if my figures are correct it’s 16% more, so 116km distance travelled for every 100km.
It’s a good thing that you have a Rebel because of the standard 3.91 axle, you would have struggle with the 3.21 axle.

jasnak

Reaction score
110kph on the speedo, with those tires your speed will be off, and your km distance also, you can maybe check the difference with a gps.
That will offset your L/100km, by going 2 inches bigger on the wheel, you actually travel 6.28” more per revolution or 160mm, if my figures are correct it’s 16% more, so 116km distance travelled for every 100km.
It’s a good thing that you have a Rebel because of the standard 3.91 axle, you would have struggle with the 3.21 axle.
Actually not true. Is all thru gps on the truck. It calibrates it automatically. I used a gps app on my iPhone when I first did the tires and the Speedo was off. Truck calibrated itself actually thru it’s satalite gps. iPhone and speedo are exactly the same now.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually not true. Is all thru gps on the truck. It calibrates it automatically. I used a gps app on my iPhone when I first did the tires and the Speedo was off. Truck calibrated itself actually thru it’s satalite gps. iPhone and speedo are exactly the same now.
yeah, no.

Users who are viewing this thread