5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Etorque

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just picked up a brand new 2023 Limited Edition 5.7 Etorque with 3.21 gears. The truck is amazing! No regrets moving into the luxury level comning from my 2020 Rebel which I loved! But lease was ending and I wanted to try something new. The Limited definitely drives differently and I am not sure if there is a problem or an adjustment period or just inherent differences based on config.

I have only had the truck a couple of days...200 miles so hyper sesnitive to everything. The 2 big things I am noticing is that this truck seems slower to get going - granted it is likely optioned heavier and 3.21 so this just might need a break in period along with it ain't the Rebel. The second thing is I think the Etorque system. Is there a certain way this should be driven? I tend to get off the line and have a heavy foot...with a brand new expensive truck I have been more reasonable in my approach to driving...translation going the speed limit. LOL! When I am feathering or just driving with a constant pressure it almost feels like the truck sputters...slight *puff* feeling. Like I can't find that steady cruise feel. Am I imagining this because I am just used to my old truck...or is there a certain way to drive an etorque to maximize it's feel. Also if I am crazy that's a possibility too.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback...i am noticing the breaking difference which I had read to expect. Maybe just need to break things in bit...it's a blessing and a curse I notice everything not the same. I make a living looking for problems before they occur and fixing them when they do. Uuuuugh

U

User_3336

I'm suspecting this has nothing to do with Etorque. It might be the cylinder deactivation kicking in (meaning when it kicks in is the "sputtering" begins.

When you accelerate, does the "sputtering" stop?

you can turn cylinder deactivation off by pushing the +/- buttons on the steering wheel. (wait til you're at highway speed, then hit the "-" button. you will see the gear you are in displayed on the cluster.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes - I think I am noticing that when I accelerate and get at a higher cruising speed it stops. So even around town I should accelerate up to say 55 and hit the "-" and then continue lower speeds around town? I recall doing that to turn off eco mode (never bothered me more I wanted to try it) in the 2020 but honestly never felt anything like I am feeling now.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm suspecting this has nothing to do with Etorque. It might be the cylinder deactivation kicking in (meaning when it kicks in is the "sputtering" begins.

When you accelerate, does the "sputtering" stop?

you can turn cylinder deactivation off by pushing the +/- buttons on the steering wheel. (wait til you're at highway speed, then hit the "-" button. you will see the gear you are in displayed on the cluster.
That's exactly what I thought he was feeling

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just hit the - and + buttons until it says 8. You can do it as soon as you go into drive.

Also under some speeds when you take your foot off the gas eTorque will go ham and slow the crap out of you which is normal for eTorque.
I do not believe above 45 or 55 mph it allows regen when taking your foot off the gas.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to try the +/- tomorrow first thing and see if it makes a difference. I was also thinking about resetting the throttle (?) by doing the whole step on the gas pedal slowly while in run (don't start the truck)...this might help off the line response. I will do them one at a time so as to not confuse the issue. Will the cylinder deactivation get better/smoother over time?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm going to try the +/- tomorrow first thing and see if it makes a difference. I was also thinking about resetting the throttle (?) by doing the whole step on the gas pedal slowly while in run (don't start the truck)...this might help off the line response. I will do them one at a time so as to not confuse the issue. Will the cylinder deactivation get better/smoother over time?
Don't bother with that.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes then connect it and drive like you stole it.
MDS cylinder deactivation is what it is. On these trucks it's rather smooth unless you know what you are looking for and like to drive hard.

You have another 4k miles or so to break in your truck.
My truck didn't wake up until a little after the 5k mark.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't bother with that.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes then connect it and drive like you stole it.
MDS cylinder deactivation is what it is. On these trucks it's rather smooth unless you know what you are looking for and like to drive hard.

You have another 4k miles or so to break in your truck.
My truck didn't wake up until a little after the 5k mark.
I like this perspective thank you!! No more driving like miss daisy!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like this perspective thank you!! No more driving like miss daisy!
It eventually will re-learn your style, but if you drive it hard it should be more responsive. I think there's something like 250 different "modes" it "learns" depending on how you drive.

Let us know how it works out.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find the newest version of Etorque to be a bit slower to start going again...almost like a lag. It can be pretty annoying to me at times because it makes slow speeding driving kinda jerky. Doesn't always happen but when it does I dont like it.

U

User_3336

Its standard in the 23's and going forward. The 22 was the last year to get a HEMI without etorque.

The V6 has had it already for a number of years.

cliffsta

Reaction score
I never notice the cylinder deactivation in my Rebel unless I see the light come on. In my 18 Silverado I could actually feel it and the revs would change. IMO Ram seems to do it “better”

I bet the different read end gear is messing with your perception of the engine. Just my .02. Also if it takes 5k to truly break in and wake up, then the next few months are gonna be awesome lol. I hardly put any miles on my trucks. I’ve had mine almost 3 months and haven’t gotten close to 2000 miles.

U

User_3336

I never notice the cylinder deactivation in my Rebel unless I see the light come on. In my 18 Silverado I could actually feel it and the revs would change. IMO Ram seems to do it “better”

I bet the different read end gear is messing with your perception of the engine. Just my .02. Also if it takes 5k to truly break in and wake up, then the next few months are gonna be awesome lol. I hardly put any miles on my trucks. I’ve had mine almost 3 months and haven’t gotten close to 2000 miles.
there really is no "light that comes on" when cylinder deactivation deploys itself. If you're talking about the dumb "ECO" light that comes on........Cylinder deactivation is not dependent of being in ECO mode, nor the opposite.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
there really is no "light that comes on" when cylinder deactivation deploys itself. If you're talking about the dumb "ECO" light that comes on........Cylinder deactivation is not dependent of being in ECO mode, nor the opposite.
MDS can't be on unless the eco light is also on. You can turn off the eco light from showing up, but it still will trigger.
You might be thinking about a 4th Gen, I hear those were different.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed with @Darksteel165 on this…they are 100% correlated on the 5th gens, as confirmed by personal observation for the past 4.5 years.

23RAM

Reaction score
MDS can't be on unless the eco light is also on. You can turn off the eco light from showing up, but it still will trigger.
You might be thinking about a 4th Gen, I hear those were different.
I concur...my 22 definitely lights up the ECO symbol when the MDS is active - it's very easy to monitor and notice when MDS activates (can't "feel" it) but it's active whenever the ECO light pops up. The manual mentions that the light will show whenever the ECO mode is active, and as far as I know, the only ECO feature on my RAM is the MDS. I don't have e-Torque, so logic dictates it's all about MDS activation...

Jamesontf

Reaction score
9000 miles ago I traded in my 2019 etroque to a 2022 etorque. Driving is completely different. There is the etorque brake but, like others it is slow to get going!!! You either have to drive it full throttle or be patient for the truck to respond. I've tried resetting my Shifting points, but i can't handle 13mpg cause I am driving it like i stole the thing. Is there any way to recalibrate it to the 2019 version???? When driving slow, its bad enough I get honked at when I drive it slow and easy going.... My brother noticed the same thing, I convinced him to come over from a Ford and now he is wishing he stayed with the Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online