5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New tires

walank

Reaction score
Hi,
My tires on 2019 RAM 1500 limited looks bad already and I need recommendation for new set...
I have stock Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 275/55 R20 and at 50k miles sides are almost down to zero. ...centers are still OK.
I'm not sure if I should go with these (some people are saying these are not so good) or switch to other brand...
I've read BF Goodrich KO2 are very good but I'm not sure if AT are for me since I drive highways mostly. Once or twice a week I haul 2 axle trailer. I also don't want laud AT tires...

Thanks,

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on type of tire you want. I put on Cooper AT3 4S two weeks ago and they are great so far. Slightly noiser than the OEM Bridgestone. Better on gravel and wet and are winter rated (not a dedicated snow tire, though). There are two more aggressive models of the AT3 as well. The 4S are not very aggressive for being AT.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Save your hard earned money and don't get BFG KO2s. Too heavy, too expensive, poor wear, bad gas mileage, loud. For that matter, don't buy any E load rated tires.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Michelin Defender. Very quiet, excellent mileage, great for towing, superb in the rain and perty good in the snow. I’ve had 3 sets of these Defenders on my 2011 towing 7k#. These Duelers that came on the 2022 are getting replaced with Michelin Defenders by 25k at best.

Like Kaderast wrote, Do Not get LT E rated tires.

If you have a Discount Tire in your area check them for favorable pricing and installation. They also offer a 10% Veteran Discount every day of the week. Just need an ID.me verification to get the discount.

Here’s some information from the Tire Rack for owner feedback on these tires. They rated #3 of 45 tires in the same class.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5TR0DLTX&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

WyoViking

Reaction score
I just bought Toyo Open Country AT3s for my new-to-me '19 Laramie. I need ATs as an outdoorsman but living in the west means highway miles getting anywhere. So also wanted something quieter.

The truck came with Ironman iMove G2s (terrible on snow). New AT tires were actually quieter than street tires.

I used a sound app to measure the road noise in the cab on the way to get new tires. Average decibels on exact same stretch of interstate at exactly 70mph over 5 minutes:

IMove = 72.0 dbs
Copper Pathfinder = 72.2 dbs *
Open Country = 70.6 dbs

It's not super scientific, but it's something to consider.

* Funny story, the shop put the wrong tires on my truck and I didn't realize until I got home.

Attachments

• 20211111_223210.jpg
    20211111_223210.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211111_223116.jpg
    20211111_223116.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211111_223054.jpg
    20211111_223054.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 11

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought Toyo Open Country AT3s for my new-to-me '19 Laramie. I need ATs as an outdoorsman but living in the west means highway miles getting anywhere. So also wanted something quieter.

The truck came with Ironman iMove G2s (terrible on snow). New AT tires were actually quieter than street tires.

I used a sound app to measure the road noise in the cab on the way to get new tires. Average decibels on exact same stretch of interstate at exactly 70mph over 5 minutes:

IMove = 72.0 dbs
Copper Pathfinder = 72.2 dbs *
Open Country = 70.6 dbs

It's not super scientific, but it's something to consider.

* Funny story, the shop put the wrong tires on my truck and I didn't realize until I got home.
Out of curiosity what were you supposed to get?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My OEM Bridgestone Duelers went the same way...at 50K I had zero confidence in them even though the center tread was 'OK'. The thing that really pushed me to new tires was that they turned into ice skates on wet pavement. I'm pretty happy with factory tires that went 50K.

I really toiled and researched, and then toiled and researched some more trying to decide between good all-seasons and AT tires. For me, preserving highway fuel mileage and keeping noise low were priorities. Based on past experience I ended up with the Michelin Defender LTX. They are surprisingly decent off-road, but more important to me...very good in wet or dry and in snow, and they are quiet and have a long warranty. Costco often runs specials on them which is the best deal I've found. Right now they are running a great deal on Bridgestone if you want the Duelers again, or if you want their Dueler AT Revo...

FWIW here are the tires at the top of my list after all my research:
-Mich Defenders (obviously)
-Continental TerrainContact AT
-Continental TerrainContact HT
-Firestone Destination AT2
-Cooper Discoverer AT3

Your priorities surely may vary from mine...so my list may or may not fit your needs, though they do seem similar.

Gdwheel

Reaction score
I switched to the Continental TerrainContact HT tires (on two different Rams) and would highly recommend them. I do not know how long they will last, but the traction on wet and snowy roads is much better than the Bridgestones. They are also quiet and the ride is good.

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have heard some people say they get a wobble of bounce at certain speeds. While not proven, I have experienced "frame beaming" or "frame shake" on my old Silverado. Many people experienced this and I found it to still be an issue in many Chevys. At my first tire replacement, I ordered the KO2 D rated tires and the shake was noticed. I had everything done to balance the tires, but the problem continued. Michelin replaced the tires with their LTX AT2 tires and the smooth ride came back. I decided to try the KO2 when those tires wore out and went with E rated version due to trailering. The truck rode smoothly. The last set of tires were D rated KO2 since I wasn't trailering anymore and thought I might get better mileage, and the frame shake came back. The heavier E rated tires appear to eliminate the frequency that caused the frame shake in the Chevy trucks.

Could that be an issue with some of the RAM trucks also? Again, not scientific, but it was a thought.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add me to the list of happy Michelin Defender owners. Went up a size which put me in load range E. I keep my daily psi low and it's a smooth, super quiet ride. As a bonus they are decent off road and great in the snow for an all season. My only regret is I didn't go bigger with 295/70 r18

bpwj76

Reaction score
I have the OEM Bridgestones too, with only 36k miles, and they are not very confidence-inspring in the wet. I wish Michelin made the "LT" Defenders in the stock 275/55-20 size. I don't want to go up a size. Looking for a good towing tire, because the Bridgestones are way too soft when towing.

Randy Hummel

Reaction score
Hi,
My tires on 2019 RAM 1500 limited looks bad already and I need recommendation for new set...
I have stock Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 275/55 R20 and at 50k miles sides are almost down to zero. ...centers are still OK.
I'm not sure if I should go with these (some people are saying these are not so good) or switch to other brand...
I've read BF Goodrich KO2 are very good but I'm not sure if AT are for me since I drive highways mostly. Once or twice a week I haul 2 axle trailer. I also don't want laud AT tires...

Thanks,
I bought a new Laramie last summer. After a lot of research I went with Falken Wild Peak AT.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Got rid of the OEMs on my 2019 at 20,000 miles and put a set of Defenders on. Very happy with the ride and noise about 2 months in now. Great in the rain as well. No snow testing as of yet but that should be here in a month or two.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I have the OEM Bridgestones too, with only 36k miles, and they are not very confidence-inspring in the wet. I wish Michelin made the "LT" Defenders in the stock 275/55-20 size. I don't want to go up a size. Looking for a good towing tire, because the Bridgestones are way too soft when towing.
Tentatively I’m towing a 7k# trailer 900 miles to NC and back next week across WV / VA with my new truck, first time. Never had 20” tires (always 17”) much less P rated (Duelers 275/55-20) for towing. Always had LT tires. Tires inflated to 44psi now.

If I don’t like the feel of these P rated Dueler tires I’m switching to the Michelin Defender LT 265/60-20. These are only 0.6” taller than the present 275/55-20 tires. I’m aware that the LT tires are 11 lbs heavier and will very likely effect the ride and fuel mileage. I don’t care, it’s a truck and I bought it to tow. The ride can’t be any worse than the LT tires on my 2011 Ram that weighed the same, and that truck road and towed Great. Dealer can do the speedo recalibration if I go this way. It won’t be off much.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tentatively I’m towing a 7k# trailer 900 miles to NC and back next week across WV / VA with my new truck, first time. Never had 20” tires (always 17”) much less P rated (Duelers 275/55-20) for towing. Always had LT tires. Tires inflated to 44psi now.

If I don’t like the feel of these P rated Dueler tires I’m switching to the Michelin Defender LT 265/60-20. These are only 0.6” taller than the present 275/55-20 tires. I’m aware that the LT tires are 11 lbs heavier and will very likely effect the ride and fuel mileage. I don’t care, it’s a truck and I bought it to tow. The ride can’t be any worse than the LT tires on my 2011 Ram that weighed the same, and that truck road and towed Great. Dealer can do the speedo recalibration if I go this way. It won’t be off much.
Most people just say to avoid E rated or LT tires if you aren't towing, you sir have a great reason why you need them! Are you going down a size on the width or did you mean to put 275/60's?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Most people just say to avoid E rated or LT tires if you aren't towing, you sir have a great reason why you need them! Are you going down a size on the width or did you mean to put 275/60's?
The idea is to gain as Little height over the original 275/55 as possible. The 265/60 increases height by 0.6” and only reduces tread and section width by 0.4”. The overall dimension differences are small and should be an excellent choice for 20” LT upgrade if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/