5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Tires On

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all, just slapped on some new tires for my rig as my previous set was beyond their last leg. Went with Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in 295/60/20 and WOW what a world of difference. Smooth as hell, quiet and an overall great choice: aggressive looking, 3PMSF rated, 50k mile treadwear warranty, significantly cheaper than the other typical options (Ridge Grappler, KO2, Open Country AT, etc) + MT is offering $100 prepaid card if you buy a set of qualifying tires through 11/15 (I didn’t even know about this until after I bought them).

For reference, my previous set was Arturo TrailBlade XT in the same size and these are superior in every way except for cost. I’ve only had them on for a day but very impressed so far.

I did find that they rubbed ever so slightly on the back of lower fender liner up front in aero mode at full lock (my old set in the same size didn’t) but attribute that to the more aggressive tread. Normal suspension height seems to have alleviated much of it and I suspect once the tread wears down some it will be a non-issue. Overall would highly recommend these for anyone looking at new tires. Some pics attached, thanks!

Attachments

• 465C52B9-C8C7-43A9-B560-F48CFFC7EF21.jpeg
    465C52B9-C8C7-43A9-B560-F48CFFC7EF21.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 3B8581C8-249E-412D-B24E-8AA1AB7142B7.jpeg
    3B8581C8-249E-412D-B24E-8AA1AB7142B7.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 175DE54D-7370-4F78-A2FC-2083C4F6B481.jpeg
    175DE54D-7370-4F78-A2FC-2083C4F6B481.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 218

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is awesome. I wanted to put those on my truck in the worst way but I was worried they’d be louder than I wanted. They look so awesome. I’m having 295/70/18 Wild peaks put on my truck today cause I’ve had them and I know they are awesome tires and quiet. Plus they are $64 a piece less than the Baja Boss A/T’s in that size. If they were the same price I may have given them a try.

This summer I put a set of 295/60/20 Atturo trail blades on my truck and returned them in less than a week. They were louder than I was willing to live with.

Last edited:

wangstarr03

Reaction score
That is awesome. I wanted to put those on my truck in the worst way but I was worried they’d be louder than I wanted. They look so awesome. I’m having 295/70/18 Wild peaks put on my truck today cause I’ve had them and I know they are awesome tires and quiet. Plus they are $64 a piece less than the Baja Boss A/T’s in that size. If they were the same price I may have given them a try.

This summer I put a set of 295/60/20 Atturo trail blades on my truck and returned them in less than a week. They were louder than I was willing to live with.
Yep - the Atturos were definitely loud but hard to beat for the price. I had no basis for comparison since those were my first "real" set of all/hybrid terrain tires and believe me, they get even louder as the tread wears down (which happened real quick for me; ~36k miles and right around 2 years). I'm talking louder than mud terrains. It's borderline unbearable if the window is down even a little. The Mickey Thompsons are whisper quiet IMO, you can barely hear them though my perception might be jaded considering how loud the Atturos were with only ~3/32" of tread left.

The Falken's are solid - those are the OE tire for ORG which I still have in my garage mounted to stock wheels; pretty much brand new.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep - the Atturos were definitely loud but hard to beat for the price. I had no basis for comparison since those were my first "real" set of all/hybrid terrain tires and believe me, they get even louder as the tread wears down (which happened real quick for me; ~36k miles and right around 2 years). I'm talking louder than mud terrains. It's borderline unbearable if the window is down even a little. The Mickey Thompsons are whisper quiet IMO, you can barely hear them though my perception might be jaded considering how loud the Atturos were with only ~3/32" of tread left.

The Falken's are solid - those are the OE tire for ORG which I still have in my garage mounted to stock wheels; pretty much brand new.
Actually the stock Wildpeaks are a different tire. They are Wildpeaks A/T3WA The ones I’m getting are different. They are A/T3W much more aggressive tire. You can see the difference in the photos.

that’s great to know about the mickey’s I’ll probably get them next time.

Attachments

• CB5E4A7C-DECB-4DB4-B660-D4D7D9B63A47.jpeg
    CB5E4A7C-DECB-4DB4-B660-D4D7D9B63A47.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 7578FC0A-A101-42CC-B6B9-07F9443E5376.jpeg
    7578FC0A-A101-42CC-B6B9-07F9443E5376.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 46

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Actually the stock Wildpeaks are a different tire. They are Wildpeaks A/T3WA The ones I’m getting are different. They are A/T3W much more aggressive tire. You can see the difference in the photos.

that’s great to know about the mickey’s I’ll probably get them next time.
Good call - those are definitely more aggressive and I would prefer those to the OE ones!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good call - those are definitely more aggressive and I would prefer those to the OE ones!
They are more aggressive, and I like the look. They should wear better, too. The only downside is that they are a lot heavier than the OEMs.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are more aggressive, and I like the look. They should wear better, too. The only downside is that they are a lot heavier than the OEMs.
Those new Mickeys are heavy too. For my use I don’t care how heavy they are but I can understand the weight being a concern on the 1/2 tons. Especially if it’s a daily driver

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just the reality of A/T tires!
Not all of them are heavy. My 305/55x20 Ridge Grapplers are 51lbs each. The 285/45x22 OEM Goodyear's weighed in at 45lbs each and are 1" shorter and narrower than my RG's. The OP's tires are very heavy at 71lbs each. :oops:

NJMonark

Reaction score
Looks great! I just upgraded my tires as well. I wanted the MT Baja AT but they are consistently backordered and hard to get in my size (33x12.5R22). I went with the Kenda Klever RT. Very happy with these so far and were only $265 each. FWIW, I also ordered one 33x12.5R18 to replace the crappy donut that is standard on the Limited. Fits perfectly and no need to air down. Not sure if you had a full size spare but I recommend this option for anyone running this size.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great! I just upgraded my tires as well. I wanted the MT Baja AT but they are consistently backordered and hard to get in my size (33x12.5R22). I went with the Kenda Klever RT. Very happy with these so far and were only $265 each. FWIW, I also ordered one 33x12.5R18 to replace the crappy donut that is standard on the Limited. Fits perfectly and no need to air down. Not sure if you had a full size spare but I recommend this option for anyone running this size.
Could you post some pictures of your truck with these tires? I thought about getting them many times and never pulled the trigger. Would like to see how they look.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Thanks! I’ve been contemplating ordering a replacement for the spare for about 2 years but can’t get confirmation whether my size (which equates to roughly 34”) will fit in the stock location. Last thing I want to do is order another tire blindly only to find that it’s too big. That would suck.

Users who are viewing this thread