5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Tires Burning Smell

Maxum

Reaction score
Ok, so odd situation here and wondering if anyone has experienced the same..excuse the long message! 2021 Sport model with 20" oem wheels. I had 275/60/20's all season tires on it for a few months, no issues at all. Recently I bought a new set of Goodyear wrangler duratracs in the same size for the winter, both sets are passenger rated tires, not LT, with using the same oem wheels. Trick is always empty no loads, so P rated is.more than enough and what the truck calls for anyway.

So after I had them installed and balanced, I drove the truck 400 miles or so over dry pavement, wet pavement and even some snow...was very, very please with them. But after that initial trip, actually on my way back from that trip, I started getting a really pronounced burning rubber smell after driving and coming to a stop. It was so strong a couple times that I had to get out of the truck and look to see if there was any smoke, but none visible. I retorqued the lugs by the way after 100 miles and again when I got home, they remained tight after the tire change.

I've checked underneath the truck and under the hood with it running, nothing there burning at all, it always seems to be coming from one or more tires, usually the front. But I can't say for 100% if that's what it is. I thought ok, must be faulty tires on the front, so I swapped the backs and fronts around, same issue. Always seems to be the front tires. I adjusted the air pressure up and down, just to see if that helped, but it doesn't...ive ran them at 35 and 40lbs...40 seems a little better maybe. I took the truck off-road and ran it for a good 30 mins over dirt, stopping and starting, spinning tires, 2wd and 4wd and getting out to smell , nothing. Definitely seems to be a tire or tires, but only on pavement. What are the chances of getting 4 bad tires, especially tires this expensive! I'm guessing very slim.

I've checked the tires, even the ones I took off and there is no rubbing, no unusual wear...the truck is leveled, so more than capable of the slightly larger diameter tire.. The new tires don't feel hot to touch or anything like that. They ride smooth, so no broken belts or anything and not out of balance at all. Truck runs straight, not pulling....in all aspects, the truck runs 100% perfectly, just the burning rubber smell at.times and it's not always noticeable.

I'm at all loss, unless it's just these tires wearing in, because they have a much deeper tread and sipping than my all seasons, but to smell that bad? I can understand some new rubber smell, even some wearing rubber and a slight burning smell, maybe, but not this pronounced.

So I've ruled out the brakes, they don't even feel hot to the touch when I stop and get this smell. Ruled out the belt, because it's in perfect condition, all the pullys turn freely and I don't get any smell when I lift the hood at all. No leaking oil getting on the exhaust or manifolds, again, would smell it as soon as I opened the hood if that were the case and it would linger, plus smell differently.

I've basically ruled everything out except ithe tires, which is the most obvious anyway, but wanted to.try everything to be sure. What could be causing it though? Only front and only these tires? Once the truck stops.for a min or two, smell is completely gone.

I have a couple of theories.so far.

One, these tires are heavier and much more tread, so they may be sending some small rubber particles or rubber dust from the tires and getting on the exhaust since the catalytic converters are just in behind there. With the lift, it opens up that area a little more. But I didn't get this smell from previous tires, even heavier LT tires with similar tread.

Second, the tires just stink..lol

Third, there is some sort of alignment issue or something is not correct, just not enough to feel in the steering wheel. It's strange though it was fine on my 400 mile trip one way and then not fine on my way back. Truck feels the same to drive.

And I guess, it still could be totally unrelated to the tires, but what would cause the smell only when moving on pavement and not all the time. Even on pavement, it seems it happens randomly. Has anyone else had these same tires and had a similar smell? Any ideas?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Burning rubber is a unique smell, i'm sure you would tell the difference between oil burning and rubber.

Sounds like an improper balancing\alignment and you are literally burning rubber. More likely an alignment, not sure if a bad balance would cause burning rubber just uneven wear.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take the truck back to the tire dealer, and explain your issue. They should put the truck back on the rack and do a visual on all the tires. Good luck.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
When you said they are not hot to the touch did you touch the inside of the tire and make sure they aren't rubbing against the upper control arm?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a sticking caliper on a previous vehicle, and the burning rubber smell was from the wheel bearing seal. Which went bad really fast and I figured out the cause after the fact. Point being, check everything in the area.

Maxum

Reaction score
When you said they are not hot to the touch did you touch the inside of the tire and make sure they aren't rubbing against the upper control arm?
Definitely not rubbing anywhere and not hot to the touch anywhere either. It's.strange. not quite so bad now with a little.more air in them, but at this point.im leaning towards alignment or just rubber flying up and getting onto the exhaust.due to the heavier tread and the space created by the lift, which gives a straight opening to the cat as possible causes. the truck rides perfect, so leaning towards the second...not a balance issue, I'd feel it, plus I've swapped tires around and same thing, only the front seem to smell.

Maxum

Reaction score
Burning rubber is a unique smell, i'm sure you would tell the difference between oil burning and rubber.

Sounds like an improper balancing\alignment and you are literally burning rubber. More likely an alignment, not sure if a bad balance would cause burning rubber just uneven wear.
It is unique, true and it definitely is, was just trying to rule everything else out. I'm going to have alignment checked for peace of mind anyway...balance is fine, truck runs at all speeds, no vubration present

Maxum

Reaction score
I had a sticking caliper on a previous vehicle, and the burning rubber smell was from the wheel bearing seal. Which went bad really fast and I figured out the cause after the fact. Point being, check everything in the area.
Thanks, I check the pads and rotor when I get the smell, but nothing hot like that...I'd definitely feel it or have other warning signs I think. Pads are going on 2 years old and only half worn, so no obvious wear issue thay would be present in a sticking caliper.

Maxum

Reaction score
Fourth paragraph, second sentence
The level? It has been on the truck since new and alignment done, plus no issues with any tires previously, just these, but onvioulsy it can go out of alignment at any time.

Maxum

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and ideas..appreciated. I'll try an alignment first, wouldn't hurt to have one done anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread