5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New thread - Off Road Group vs. non ORG

Skidowntown

Reaction score
Posted something similar in another thread, where I’m trying to find a certain configuration...but decided I’d share my impressions around the ORG, in case anyone was wondering).

Thought I’d just post my observations on these two trucks after driving them side by side a few times today.

Driving impressions:

The Laramie w/ORG was slightly smoother, more compliant over bumps, man holes, and other dips. But my wife couldn’t tell the difference in the two. I did think that upon braking and acceleration that the Truck w/ORG tended to remain more level, but that could also be in my imagination....just seemed like it.

Visual Impressions:

These Laramie’s had the same wheels and tires. The Truck w/the ORG was a tad taller in the front...the hood (same hood in this case - non-Sport) was a little higher, but the non-ORG was taller in the rear above the bed.

Perhaps this has something to do w/a stiffer front shock? I don’t know, maybe there’s less dip in the ORG...but if you level the non-ORG, I’m not sure you could tell the difference.

The reason I did this, was because I like the stance of the Rebel (even thinking of buying Rebel wheels for the Sport model) and wanted to see if I could tell the difference.

I’m pretty certain the Rebel is also taller than the non-ORG in the front (from appearance), but didn’t check the back.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove a Non-ORG Bighorn and ORG Bighorn back to back and to me there were two very noticeable differences. First of all, the ORG suspension is noticeably firmer and more stiff. It feels a lot more like a 2500 series truck than the Non-ORG suspension. The Non-ORG truck was smooth, soft, almost "squishy" and plush. Secondly, the visual difference standing outside of the trucks is noticeable. The ORG truck looks like a 4x4. The Non-ORG truck is really hard to even distinguish from a 4x2.

I ended up going North Edition with ORG but I live in a rural area with bad roads and I think the ORG suspension will stand up to the abuse better over time. If I was somebody who lived in an area with good roads and just wanted the best ride quality, Non-ORG is what I'd get.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In early production, FCA stated in many places that the ORG provides a 1” lift over the non-ORG trucks (all around). This is obvious with the air suspension, which has the same 4 levels as the Rebel (unlike the 5 with non-ORG trucks). The Rebel sits a hair taller than ORG-equipped trucks due to larger tires, but they have the same suspension geometry. That said, I don’t see the 1” lift advertised much now, especially for the non-air trucks. I wonder if it still appears on build sheets.

I test-drove trucks with and w/o the air suspension, as well as with and w/o the ORG. Coming from a 3/4-ton, I really liked the firm, planted, “heavy”, yet cushioned combination of having both options...and that’s what I ordered.

Skidowntown

Reaction score
Thank you. Does anyone know where those specs are listed?

Also, I would agree that the ORG had a more “planted” feel, which may also explain why I felt the front stayed more level.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
These Laramie’s had the same wheels and tires. The Truck w/the ORG was a tad taller in the front...the hood (same hood in this case - non-Sport) was a little higher, but the non-ORG was taller in the rear above the bed.
Just wanted to correct this statement. The ORG gives you 20 inch Falken Wildpeak A/T tires, while with the non-ORG you will get 20 inch Bridgestone Dueler all-season tires (if you select the Sport package). This alone should affect the ride, as A/T tires don't usually ride as smoothly.

Last edited:

Techguy2000

Reaction score
On my 2020 June build Laramie CC 5ft bed with the ORP, BUG, 33 gallon tank and level 1 on the build sheet it does state "Raised ride height".
Oh and it also states:
Spring - Left Front
Spring - Left Rear
Spring - Right Front
Spring - Right Rear

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to correct this statement. The ORG gives you 20 inch Falken Wildpeak A/T tires, while with the non-ORG you will get 20 inch Bridgestone Dueler all-season tires (if you select the Sport package). This alone should affect the ride, as A/T tires don't usually ride as smoothly.
That change in tires alone is almost worth the cost of the ORG :)

Users who are viewing this thread