5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New tailgate

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone know or have a recommendation for best place to find or get a new tailgate? I dented mine this weekend pretty good so I’m sure I need a replacement one.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Maybe you'd get lucky from a scrap yard and find a truck that was hit in the front ? Other than that I think the dealerships are the only places to get them . If I'm wrong someone will correct me .

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How bad is the dent ? A good PDR guy can do wonders for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Reaction score
A good PDR guy can probably get most of that if not all of that out, I've seen some dings even larger taken out 100%, depends on the guy working on it. However it is aluminum and likely to be more expensive due to the metal having no memory compared to steel. But PDR can be done on all metals, it will just take more time which equals more money.

I would contact your best local PDR shops (find them on Yelp) with strong reviews. They can usually send you a quote by email, you can send them that pic (remember to mention it's aluminum) and see what they say and compare it to a replacement costs.

They may tell you 90% repair for $350 or something like that. Then you can compare it to a replacement and see if it's worth it to you.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ouch! Yeah, PDR won't be able to correct all of that. Looks like you'll be needing a new bumper too. Check on car-part.com to see if you can find what you need there. There are other websites too for salvage yard parts. And ebay is another source. I take it you're trying to avoid going through your insurance for this?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Ouch! Yeah, PDR won't be able to correct all of that. Looks like you'll be needing a new bumper too. Check on car-part.com to see if you can find what you need there. There are other websites too for salvage yard parts. And ebay is another source. I take it you're trying to avoid going through your insurance for this?
Yeah I would rather just fix it. A takeoff bumper is easy to find I have one already but it has a couple dings in it so I’m looking for another one. The tailgate isn’t as easy to find for 1500’s seems like. The total cost if I just buy the parts and put them on would make going through insurance not really necessary and then have my rates go up for years.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah I would rather just fix it. A takeoff bumper is easy to find I have one already but it has a couple dings in it so I’m looking for another one. The tailgate isn’t as easy to find for 1500’s seems like. The total cost if I just buy the parts and put them on would make going through insurance not really necessary and then have my rates go up for years.

Call your agent and ask them about their policies, typically if it wasn't your fault during a moving violation, your rates won't go up, though it could be different from state to state. I would tell the agent your actual scenario and how that would effect your rates if you actually claimed it.

In most cases, if it's not your fault, the cost of the deductible should be your main factor on whether to claim or repair out of pocket.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Call your agent and ask them about their policies, typically if it wasn't your fault during a moving violation, your rates won't go up, though it could be different from state to state. I would tell the agent your actual scenario and how that would effect your rates if you actually claimed it.

In most cases, if it's not your fault, the cost of the deductible should be your main factor on whether to claim or repair out of pocket.
In looking at the damage, it looks to me like the OP backed into a pole or something similar. It doesn't look like someone hit him. Since he didn't say how it happened, that's obviously just my observation. Even if that's true, some insurance companies have accident forgiveness even if it's your fault. I didn't know that mine does, and only found out after my son had an accident in my car. Insurance covered the repair and my rates did not increase. All I had to pay was the deductible. It's worth checking with your insurance company to find out if you have something similar unless you know for sure you don't have that.

Users who are viewing this thread