5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New size tires, now mpg way off

JeremyFOwens

Reaction score
So I just went to a 275/60/20 Perrelli cuz they were on sale at walmart and discount tire matched. They are nice tires and do rub a little at full turn.

My issue is now my mpg on display has dropped 2 mpg. Not sure if speedo is correct or not. I understand I can flash it to correct it but is the display correct in mpg or is it trying to base it off the correct tire size.

To fix this is the best way to buy a RC device to fix both?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If the tires are 10% larger, mpg will appear 10% smaller. MPG is calculated using the odometer and the odometer/speedometer are calculated using revolutions and tire diameter.

Reprogram the tire size and everything should fall into place.

Tchpet

Reaction score
That's why I am purchasing a Tazer DT. There is a group buy going on if you have interest. Just do a search for Tazer DT Group Buy.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
When I switched my tires in my old Nissan Titan to heavier (but stock size) BFG A/T’s, my MPG dropped from 17.5 to 14.5 highway. Never saw 17 again! :) My point is some tires just decrease MPG.

Reprogramming probably isnt a bad idea, but before you drop the cash, could just hand calc MPG for a tank as see if its actually inaccurate.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I switched my tires in my old Nissan Titan to heavier (but stock size) BFG A/T’s, my MPG dropped from 17.5 to 14.5 highway. Never saw 17 again! :) My point is some tires just decrease MPG.

Reprogramming probably isnt a bad idea, but before you drop the cash, could just hand calc MPG for a tank as see if its actually inaccurate.
Went from Pirellis to Firestones and lost mpg with a 1994 Ford Explorer.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Bigger tires means speedometer is off and so is the odometer. Mileage shown will them also be incorrect. Not to mention, if you went bigger, they likely are heavier and will drop your mileage a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread