5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New rear glass. New 3rd Brake Light. Still leaking???

ericd

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got a question about the infamous rear headliner leak. Yes I've read and searched all the leaking posts. My question is has anyone still experienced a leak in the same spot even after replacing the rear glass assembly and 3rd brake light. Mine had finally seemed like it was fixed with no issues for about a month. But after a huge rainstorm yesterday I saw the stain again.

Is there anything else I should be checking for?
My dealership has always just been cleaning my headliner, not replacing. Is it possible maybe the stain is just coming back up when it gets a little humid in the cab from a storm?
Is there a step by step for lowering the headliner if I want to leak test myself?

Thanks for the advice

unnamed.jpg

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got a question about the infamous rear headliner leak. Yes I've read and searched all the leaking posts. My question is has anyone still experienced a leak in the same spot even after replacing the rear glass assembly and 3rd brake light. Mine had finally seemed like it was fixed with no issues for about a month. But after a huge rainstorm yesterday I saw the stain again.

Is there anything else I should be checking for?
My dealership has always just been cleaning my headliner, not replacing. Is it possible maybe the stain is just coming back up when it gets a little humid in the cab from a storm?
Is there a step by step for lowering the headliner if I want to leak test myself?

Thanks for the advice

View attachment 57639

That’s your 3rd brake light. If they used the same kind of gasket on the new brake light, once it saturates it leaks. Best solution is to take that gasket off and replace it with the weatherstrip from Lowe’s or something similar. The gasket on the 3rd brake light is a foam sponge that deforms easily and leaks. I doubt the stAin is coming back on its own. Is the headliner wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericd

Reaction score
That’s your 3rd brake light. If they used the same kind of gasket on the new brake light, once it saturates it leaks. Best solution is to take that gasket off and replace it with the weatherstrip from Lowe’s or something similar. The gasket on the 3rd brake light is a foam sponge that deforms easily and leaks. I doubt the stAin is coming back on its own. Is the headliner wet?

that makes sense cause it had seemed to be working for a while then all of a sudden it was stained again. Do you have a link for the type of weather striping I should be using. Thanks

Last edited:

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
that makes sense cause it had seemed to be working for a while then all of a sudden it was stained again. Do you have a link for the type of weather striping I should be using. Thanks

This is what I used. I bought it from Ace Hardware but here’s a Lowe’s link. I just applied it onto the existing factory seal on the 3rd brake light. It’s been great.

ericd

Reaction score
This is what I used. I bought it from Ace Hardware but here’s a Lowe’s link. I just applied it onto the existing factory seal on the 3rd brake light. It’s been great.

Awesome thanks. I just got back in from re-tightening the light and looking inside with the headliner lowered. The seal was definitely saturated wet and it hasn’t rain for 24hrs.
How tight did you crank down on the screws? I know you have to go from center to outside.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome thanks. I just got back in from re-tightening the light and looking inside with the headliner lowered. The seal was definitely saturated wet and it hasn’t rain for 24hrs.
How tight did you crank down on the screws? I know you have to go from center to outside.

Personally I removed the old seal and applied the Lowe’s seal in its place. If you put the new seal on top of the old you run the risk of the light sticking out too much plus you would leave the old gasket in place that might not solve the problem. Take the old seal off, use goo gone to clean the residue off, then using alcohol before attaching the new seal

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score

Ur welcome. I just tightened them firmly but carefully in rotating order but making sure not to crack the housing. U could remove the old seal first as LimitedGGR has suggested but it worked fine leaving it on. U could always take it off later if it still leaked but I’m leasing my Ram and I didn't want their to be evidence I removed the factory seal. The 3rd brake light doesn’t stick out any further with the new seal over the factory one.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the old seal and used the gasket from Lowe’s. Noticed a VERY small leak still.. removed the screws and they were dripping with water. So apparently the screws don’t seal either. Put some silicone around the screws and so far all is dry.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the old seal and used the gasket from Lowe’s. Noticed a VERY small leak still.. removed the screws and they were dripping with water. So apparently the screws don’t seal either. Put some silicone around the screws and so far all is dry.
The second revised CHMSL assemblies came with a white plastic washer under the head of each screw to act as a water seal. The latest now uses torx screws instead of phillips.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033149 miles.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I took it as an opportunity to put black tint film over the brake light. Wanted the blackout effect anyway and I gain the bonus of sealing in the screws.

Users who are viewing this thread