5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram purchase

Huntercj

Reaction score
Just got a few questions i have never owned a ram before . Im looking at two new rams one is a 2019 warlock and the other is a 2020 warlock. I can get a better deal on 2019. Just wondering if the 2020 has any updates over the 2019. Just a little worried about the new 8 speed transmission.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a few questions i have never owned a ram before . Im looking at two new rams one is a 2019 warlock and the other is a 2020 warlock. I can get a better deal on 2019. Just wondering if the 2020 has any updates over the 2019. Just a little worried about the new 8 speed transmission.
That transmission was in the previous body style. FCA/Chrysler has been using some iteration of it since 2013. Nothing to worry about. I have 25K miles on mine currently without issue. My brothers is 120K miles without issue.

Huntercj

Reaction score
Ok thanks appreciate feed back. Just trying decide on trim level and if the quad cab would enough room for the kids.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Warlock is a 4th gen Ram "Classic" trim. '19 or '20 should make no difference since it has already been superceded by the 5th gen DT Rams. I don't think FCA would be investing any effort into "upgrading" the old platform when it's already on borrowed time. Check the window stickers of both trucks though, you never know, the '20 may have some additional minor items over the '19 just to "sweeten the pot", but I doubt it. Good luck with whichever you choose, they are good looking trucks!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be completely honest, I'd rather have the zf assembled 8 speed than the FCA assembled 8 speed. Even though it's basically the same design I doubt there's the same quality in assembling it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

drstein

Reaction score
ZF trans are German, I'd take that over FCA or the GM / Ford 10 speed too . BMWs have ZF trannys.

fflis

Reaction score
Don’t get a warlock. That’s a 4th gen truck. Get a 5th gen crew cab. Will be much better resale later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reverse

Reaction score
165,000 miles on our 2014 ZF 8-speed. If there's one thing I love about Ram trucks, it's this transmission. Also seems to be pretty much bulletprrof, although the lifetime fluid is BS IMO. I have unlimited warranty. so I kept the original fluid, and so far so good.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
165,000 miles on our 2014 ZF 8-speed. If there's one thing I love about Ram trucks, it's this transmission. Also seems to be pretty much bulletprrof, although the lifetime fluid is BS IMO. I have unlimited warranty. so I kept the original fluid, and so far so good.
If you look up what ZF recommends for their transmission... 50-75k mile interval based on usage for filter change and new fluid

But yes, the ZF 8 speed is light years ahead of any transmission FCA could ever dream of designing.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Don’t get a warlock. That’s a 4th gen truck. Get a 5th gen crew cab. Will be much better resale later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the resale number is relative. If he get's it for 10k less than a comparable 5th gen I would say he's doing okay. the warlock is a cool truck, I don't much like the paint scheme, but the interior is nice. It's basically the 4th gen laramie sport with cloth seats and a rebel grill

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
the resale number is relative. If he get's it for 10k less than a comparable 5th gen I would say he's doing okay. the warlock is a cool truck, I don't much like the paint scheme, but the interior is nice. It's basically the 4th gen laramie sport with cloth seats and a rebel grill
The Warlock is essentially a Tradesman that looks like a Rebel.

rlc2020

Reaction score
The Warlock is essentially a Tradesman that looks like a Rebel.
Not any of the one's I've ever seen. All 3 that I looked at all had heated seats, console, 8.4 screen with nav, LED sport lights, sport hood steering wheel audio/cruise controls, 20" wheels, privacy tint, remote start, carplay, wheel liners, hd (rebel) shocks, etc. nothing about that says "tradesmen" It's the old sport with a rebel grill and cloth seats.

Huntercj

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice . I ended up buying a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn crew cab . Dealer was sold out of 2020 Rams so i will be waiting a while before i get it. Its a patriot blue in color. The only thing im a little worried about is the Hemi with e torque engine.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice . I ended up buying a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn crew cab . Dealer was sold out of 2020 Rams so i will be waiting a while before i get it. Its a patriot blue in color. The only thing im a little worried about is the Hemi with e torque engine.
As long as you're happy with the deal and options then you're all good. You'll love the color for sure!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful of the tow package. It cost more and removes 360 around view and power folding mirrors. Just an FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread