5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram owner

Stan weitoish

Reaction score
hey all. Nice to find this forum as it appears to contain a lot of great info. Just bought. 2020 5.7. Bighorn night edition. It is my first ram and traded in a GMC Sierra for the new Ram. Feels like much more truck for a couple thousand less than a comparable GMC.
Truck now has 600 miles and I have noticed a few concerning sounds and just curious if they are common or not:

1. Squeezing in drivers side front when hitting small bumps.
2. Ticking at start up when cold. I dont remember this happening anytime before today.
3. Rattling in engine at higher rpm. I have a very high grade hill on the way to work. It is a busy road and when I pull out onto the road I often have to accelerate faster than normal. Rattle starts at 3500 RPMs and then goes away when I hit the next gear.

Any guidance or info on these things would be appreciated. I will most likely take it back to the dealer this upcoming week.
Thanks!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hey all. Nice to find this forum as it appears to contain a lot of great info. Just bought. 2020 5.7. Bighorn night edition. It is my first ram and traded in a GMC Sierra for the new Ram. Feels like much more truck for a couple thousand less than a comparable GMC.
Truck now has 600 miles and I have noticed a few concerning sounds and just curious if they are common or not:

2. Ticking at start up when cold. I dont remember this happening anytime before today.
3. Rattling in engine at higher rpm. I have a very high grade hill on the way to work. It is a busy road and when I pull out onto the road I often have to accelerate faster than normal. Rattle starts at 3500 RPMs and then goes away when I hit the next gear.

Any guidance or info on these things would be appreciated. I will most likely take it back to the dealer this upcoming week.
Thanks!
Welcome! For (1), you might search the TSB list (under Resources section) and earlier threads about suspension rattles and other bump/clunk noises. For (2), it sounds like the typical HEMI tick. If it's concerning or doesn't go away as soon as it warms up, you could start by changing the oil to full synthetic and/or changing the oil filter. Lots of threads on oil recommendations here; I personally run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 with a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter. The only one that sounds worrying is (3). Are you running 89 octane, as recommended? If not, that's the first thing to change to see if the rattling goes away (if it happens to be pinging). If that doesn't do it, I'd definitely get it to your dealer.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Squeeking not squeezing....
Squeeky clean suspension? Lol.
Welcome to the forum though. I agree with Speedy...oil change to full synthetic is a good idea. Mobile 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Personally...I don't bother with the ultra platinum...unless you're doing some serious towing (or racing). But definitely check the TSB/recall list.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks!

Hi Stan, apologies for the trouble! If it would be of interest, we would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concerns, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concerns addressed and resolved.

Our team is always a private message away to get the process started!

Mark
RamCares

Vince Shanahan

Reaction score
I just brought my 2020 Bighorn 5.7 and it has 2500 miles on it every morning i start it up it ticks like crazy and it slowly gets quieter in around 3 to 4 minutes this is my first hemi and i love my truck my neighbor has a similar one and year he and i think something is not right and clunking and a weird vibration at around 35 to 40 mph but it not constant any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated,

nburd

Reaction score
Mine had an occasional lifter tick during start up 3-5 times in the first 1000 miles. Now that I have 4000 Miles it seems to have stopped. LifteRs wearing in maybe. My sons 2020 warlock had the same thing but it stopped around 1000 miles.

Vince Shanahan

Reaction score
Hello
Mine has a little over three thousand miles and it did it yesterday first Hemi.
My concern is once it is past the Bumper to Bumper or the drive train i be stuck
with a expensive lawn Art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/