5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram Owner - 2019 vs 2021?

snearylaw

Reaction score
Hi all - jumping into the world of Rams! Looking for a lightly used 5th gen in limited edition (we're selling our Volvo SUV and this seems most comparable as far as comfort for road trips for the 4 of us). Anyway, I've notice about an $8 - $10k price difference between the 2019 / 2020's and 2021's, with little difference in mileage. It looks like there were some updates in 2021 that were mostly tech/electronic related. My question is - are those updates really worth it? I know that is subjective - but looking for any thoughts or comments on this from anyone who has driven or owned both. TIA.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depends on the updates. If it is newer tech, then I'd go with the newer vehicle. But if it is the same tech, I'd not waste the money. And I'm not talking about firmware and software updates.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi all - jumping into the world of Rams! Looking for a lightly used 5th gen in limited edition (we're selling our Volvo SUV and this seems most comparable as far as comfort for road trips for the 4 of us). Anyway, I've notice about an $8 - $10k price difference between the 2019 / 2020's and 2021's, with little difference in mileage. It looks like there were some updates in 2021 that were mostly tech/electronic related. My question is - are those updates really worth it? I know that is subjective - but looking for any thoughts or comments on this from anyone who has driven or owned both. TIA.
Updates for the radio were 2022. Need to look at the list of options to compare, 5 of the same year same trim truck can and likely will have different packages and options added from the factory.
2019 was first model year and had more problems then later years so may be less desirable this the lower price used.
Check for water damage in the back headliner and floors, you don't want to buy someone's lemon.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I say do your due diligence on all three year models. They are all plagued by the same issues, just a 50/50 chance you will experience it.
For instance, Many others have the leaking rear window. I have a 2021 that has a perfect rear window, zero issues. But many are still on their original exhaust manifolds and I am on my third passenger and second driver side manifold (this includes the one that came with the truck when I bought it).
Do a search of the forum for issues we are all experiencing and deep dive into the vehicles and weed them out as best as you can. Any sign or history, you either have more purchasing power, or just move on to another choice. The more you’re educated on what plagues these trucks will give you more knowledge against your sales guys lack of, and help make a well informed decision before you buy a POS. Good luck🤙🏽

snearylaw

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. Extremely helpful and its nice to have some inventory to choose from. Thankfully, I live in the high desert of central Oregon so not super concerned about water leaking from any vehicles from this area - but that makes me super weary of these online outfits or trucks from Portland/Seattle. How would I know / check to see if there has been water issues in the past? Other than service records?

Thanks again!

cerbo

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. Extremely helpful and its nice to have some inventory to choose from. Thankfully, I live in the high desert of central Oregon so not super concerned about water leaking from any vehicles from this area - but that makes me super weary of these online outfits or trucks from Portland/Seattle. How would I know / check to see if there has been water issues in the past? Other than service records?

Thanks again!
well if looking at the rear carpets you can see that they are new or replaced that would be a sign.

akaTheDude

Reaction score
There's no damage to the glass. It's a crack in the frame. I actually had 2 cracks, one in top and one on bottom. All fixed for free by Ram.
So check for cracks in the rear glass frame...gotcha. I have read about this leak, but had no idea it was from a crack in the window frame itself. Thank you

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019s had more issues than 2021s I think. Poor AC design, steering noise come to mind.

Water leaks into the cab still remain for all models it seems
Admittedly my 2021 has good AC and no leaks other than the door seal wind thing. If the 19 has the old frame on the back window and it does not leak, it probably won't. For $8k, I would put a valve on the heater hose. I tend to hang onto vehicles until they are worn out so resale is not a thing for me.

Some here have over spent thier budget and think they have a first run Duesenberg. Like a production pickup is an "investment" 🤣. I say save some cash for upgrades and beat her like you own her!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Admittedly my 2021 has good AC and no leaks other than the door seal wind thing. If the 19 has the old frame on the back window and it does not leak, it probably won't. For $8k, I would put a valve on the heater hose. I tend to hang onto vehicles until they are worn out so resale is not a thing for me.

Some here have over spent thier budget and think they have a first run Duesenberg. Like a production pickup is an "investment" 🤣. I say save some cash for upgrades and beat her like you own her!
I have heard "drive her like you stole her" before.

Users who are viewing this thread