5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram 1500 with super LOW battery voltage?

island1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I picked up the new 2024 Big Horn last week. It's my first truck. Last night the battery died while driving. I ended up calling AAA for a jump start. What should I do now? Any suggestion? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_8792.jpg
    IMG_8792.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 51

rick619

Reaction score
Brand new 2024 with less than 500 miles on it? Back to the dealer. Let them sort it out under warranty.
Agreed. Why would there be any other suggestions if it's brand new?

I can see a battery needing to charge if it's been sitting on the lot for a while. Though if it died WHILE you were driving, most likely a bad battery. I've never even heard of that happening.

island1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Just got back from the dealer, and they said "After running the maximum battery tester for over an hour the battery came back good."

vtcats

Reaction score
Uggh. I wouldn’t be happy with that comment. What did they say about it dying WHILE RUNNING THE TRUCK??
Faulty alternator? If not, I’d want a new battery.

usedup

Reaction score
My 48 volt generator quit on me with 3700 miles on the clock. Vehicle dies on the way to the dealer. Hauled it in and they quickly figured out what was wrong. They said they kept 2 generators on hand so it's not an anomaly when one craps out. I called FCA Roadside Assistance about getting something to drive and they said to call back in 24 hours. The guy I talked to in India apologized repeatedly but that wasn't what I needed. So I called the next day and got a female relative of his and I told her what I thought of their Roadside Assistance. A few days later I got an email survey about my experience with FCA Roadside Assistance...I filled it out from the best of my recollection.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Just got back from the dealer, and they said "After running the maximum battery tester for over an hour the battery came back good."
Hmmm, I'd be (and am) a little suspicious of that diagnosis given the information we have.

What's it reading as you drive now that they charged the battery?

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
Do you have the etorque?

I had the v-6 with e torque and it would do this after the random shut off / stalls.
After 4 trips to the dealer and trying to get a head engineer involved, they discoverd the e torque unit to be faulty. No issues since it was replaced.

2023 v6 with e torque.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
because it aint got gas in it!!!

jokes aside what above guys said.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

No way I would take that answer. Dealer is blowing you off. gen/ alternators are either good or bad and yours is obviously bad.

Last edited:

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
You mean the generator?
It's dying while the truck is driving, even a typical bad battery should not allow the truck to die while it's running.
Yes that’s what I meant got so discouraged thinking about the dealers answer I didn’t watch what I was typing. Run away thumbs again 🥺

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I picked up the new 2024 Big Horn last week. It's my first truck. Last night the battery died while driving. I ended up calling AAA for a jump start. What should I do now? Any suggestion? Thank you.

I also carried my multimeter and would test the battery when my screen would show this and the battery would be at 13 volts or better.

Check the generator (Etorque unit).

island1

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'd be (and am) a little suspicious of that diagnosis given the information we have.

What's it reading as you drive now that they charged the battery?
No issues in the five days since then. Battery Voltage is between 12.7v - 14v. But yes I am a little suspicious of what they said (after reading the above comments)

island1

Reaction score
Do you have the etorque?

I had the v-6 with e torque and it would do this after the random shut off / stalls.
After 4 trips to the dealer and trying to get a head engineer involved, they discoverd the e torque unit to be faulty. No issues since it was replaced.

2023 v6 with e torque.
Yes it's 2024 v8 with e torque

cerbo

Reaction score
I guess that s what they call "infant mortality ". Just bad right from the start.
We got to hope it wasn't a bad run of them.

Users who are viewing this thread