5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New owner with short Bighorn review

Gardner

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn Crew cab, 4x4, 3.21 rear and the usual standard stuff. Build date was 11/18.
Options: Delmonico Red, Cloth buckets, level 2 equip package (8.4 in screen and other stuff).
5.7 Hemi, Ram SS running boards and also, an after market American tonneau fabric cover.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As of this writing, odometer is 800 miles (ish). So far I'm pleased.......... except I have the dreaded "skunky smell". The odor is never in the cab, but stinks up my garage when engine is warmed up (it dissipates overnight). I also sprang for the Zurich Shield - that application covered up the skunk smell (for a few days) with an odor of the cargo hold in a crude oil tanker.

First impressions: This beast is quiet and smooth - feels like driving a cloud. Brakes feel wonderful - light touch and very effective. Hemi feels great and capable. However, my previous truck was a short bed regular cab Silverado and it will take some time for me to adapt to my new 140"+ wheelbase. The Bighorn is not exactly nimble.

One small problem. I have a steep driveway and backing down to the street causes the "Park sense" to jam on the brakes when it sees the road. My solution was to disable the rear "park sense". I don't consider this to be a serious defect-just annoying.

Another annoyance - I angle parked at the hardware store. Got out and realized that I should have gone a little deeper in the parking space. Got back in, but didn't close the door. Fired it back up just to move up a foot or so and found that the parking brake had been automatically engaged (due to open door). Took an embarrassing 30 seconds or so to figure out the situation and locate the parking brake release.

Mileage - I didn't buy a big-a$$ truck with a Hemi for mileage. First of all, I can afford the gas. Secondly, being semi-retired, I don't commute daily and drive much less than the average person. In any case, I have averaged 17.9 mpg since purchase. The first week or so was spent "enjoying" the Hemi around town resulting in 8-9 mpg for a while. The current 17.9 is a blend of two lane highway, approx 100 miles of freeway, and in-town stuff.

If I remember, I will post a truck photo later.
Edited to add photos

Attachments

• 20190817_184605.jpg
    20190817_184605.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190817_184651.jpg
    20190817_184651.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

rudyyoko

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn Crew cab, 4x4, 3.21 rear and the usual standard stuff. Build date was 11/18.
Options: Delmonico Red, Cloth buckets, level 2 equip package (8.4 in screen and other stuff).
5.7 Hemi, Ram SS running boards and also, an after market American tonneau fabric cover.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As of this writing, odometer is 800 miles (ish). So far I'm pleased.......... except I have the dreaded "skunky smell". The odor is never in the cab, but stinks up my garage when engine is warmed up (it dissipates overnight). I also sprang for the Zurich Shield - that application covered up the skunk smell (for a few days) with an odor of the cargo hold in a crude oil tanker.

First impressions: This beast is quiet and smooth - feels like driving a cloud. Brakes feel wonderful - light touch and very effective. Hemi feels great and capable. However, my previous truck was a short bed regular cab Silverado and it will take some time for me to adapt to my new 140"+ wheelbase. The Bighorn is not exactly nimble.

One small problem. I have a steep driveway and backing down to the street causes the "Park sense" to jam on the brakes when it sees the road. My solution was to disable the rear "park sense". I don't consider this to be a serious defect-just annoying.

Another annoyance - I angle parked at the hardware store. Got out and realized that I should have gone a little deeper in the parking space. Got back in, but didn't close the door. Fired it back up just to move up a foot or so and found that the parking brake had been automatically engaged (due to open door). Took an embarrassing 30 seconds or so to figure out the situation and locate the parking brake release.

Mileage - I didn't buy a big-a$$ truck with a Hemi for mileage. First of all, I can afford the gas. Secondly, being semi-retired, I don't commute daily and drive much less than the average person. In any case, I have averaged 17.9 mpg since purchase. The first week or so was spent "enjoying" the Hemi around town resulting in 8-9 mpg for a while. The current 17.9 is a blend of two lane highway, approx 100 miles of freeway, and in-town stuff.

Edited to add photos
I bought my 19 ram aug 2018, the gas mileage for me started around 15 mpg from new hand calculated. I drive about 80% county roads and 20% city. About total of 20 miles a day. Highway driving at about 65 mph gets me a 21mpg highway. My truck currently has 12800 miles on it. When my 2014 hemi ram had around 40k miles, it would get around 23mpgs hand calculated when driving strickly highway. If it never gets above 21 I will not complain. People forget that these trucks have near 400hp and 400 foot pounds of torque. Hope your skunk smell goes away.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score

You don't have to disable the rear ParkSense completely - you can just disable the automatic braking through the setup options in Uconnect. It will still beep but won't apply the brakes.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Edited to add photos
I had the "door open embarrassment" at the boat ramp one day. I had no idea what was going on; it seemed like my truck was having all sorts of malfunctions. I had to stop and think for a moment then I realized I caused it by opening the door. That is one feature of this truck that I absolutely hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/