5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New owner of a 2019 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

mvfjet

Reaction score
New owner here. I have been shopping Ram's for a couple months since I lemon lawed my 2018 Mustang GT. I finally found a truck that was speced out exactly how I would order it. Laramie, 4x4 5.7L crew cab in granite crystal metallic. No extra options. The best part it is a new build from April 20th as it's completion date and I bought it the day after it hit the lot with 11 miles on the odometer. I triple checked it and every panel and door seems straight enough. Definitely straighter than my Mustang was and my wife's 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

This is one sharp truck that has gotten a lot of compliments in 24 hours of ownership. I love the ride, the torque and even the handling capabilities. The only thing I don't like is how quiet the exhaust is. I did get a killer deal of $9500 dealer discount and $3950 in rebates so I paid $40,538.50 OTD on a $49,430 MSRP truck.

I have a few of newb questions.

Does the RAM 5.7L come with conventional 5w20, semi synthetic or full synthetic oil from the factory? I usually do my first oil changes between 1500-2000 miles.

Does driving in manual shift mode and or tow/haul mode keep MDS from kicking in?

Where's the best place to buy the factory rear wheel well liners? I found them online but all the stores have ridiculous shipping costs that are more than the liners than themselves.

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

5c7f8e8fc7fab42d08e63cb08061cc2d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

foghorn17

Reaction score
Congrats on the truck. Beautiful. I have my eye on a Laramie after my current lease expires.

Rick J

Reaction score
New owner here. I have been shopping Ram's for a couple months since I lemon lawed my 2018 Mustang GT. I finally found a truck that was speced out exactly how I would order it. Laramie, 4x4 5.7L crew cab in granite crystal metallic. No extra options. The best part it is a new build from April 20th as it's completion date and I bought it the day after it hit the lot with 11 miles on the odometer. I triple checked it and every panel and door seems straight enough. Definitely straighter than my Mustang was and my wife's 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

This is one sharp truck that has gotten a lot of compliments in 24 hours of ownership. I love the ride, the torque and even the handling capabilities. The only thing I don't like is how quiet the exhaust is. I did get a killer deal of $9500 dealer discount and $3950 in rebates so I paid $40,538.50 OTD on a $49,430 MSRP truck.

I have a few of newb questions.

Does the RAM 5.7L come with conventional 5w20, semi synthetic or full synthetic oil from the factory? I usually do my first oil changes between 1500-2000 miles.

Does driving in manual shift mode and or tow/haul mode keep MDS from kicking in?

Where's the best place to buy the factory rear wheel well liners? I found them online but all the stores have ridiculous shipping costs that are more than the liners than themselves.

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

5c7f8e8fc7fab42d08e63cb08061cc2d.jpg

This is from the owners manual:

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.

Synthetic Engine Oils: You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed. Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

Given this, I believe the engine comes from the factory with conventional oil. They don't require or even recommend the use of synthetic in the owners manual so I doubt they use it.

Of course, I could be wrong :)

mvfjet

Reaction score

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.

Synthetic Engine Oils: You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed. Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

Given this, I believe the engine comes from the factory with conventional oil. They don't require or even recommend the use of synthetic in the owners manual so I doubt they use it.

Haha thanks maybe I should read through the booklet. I know on my wife's JGC with the pentastar V6 I rolled with conventional for 19,000 miles doing oil changes every 6 months regardless of mileage (usually 4,000 miles or less) and it hasn't burned a drop of oil after the first oil change at 1500 miles where either the factory under filled it or it burned 3/4 quart during break in.

I broke this truck in the same way with medium throttle to 4,000-5,000 RPM followed by engine braking to try to get the rings to seat.

I'm between the Magnaflow 12198 muffler or 12288 to liven up the sound but don't want to go too loud but also don't want it to be barely louder than stock. I have my appointment for the line x bed liner on June 8th and will be getting some weather tech rock guards.

Maple

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck. As far as wheel well liners, I picked mine up from rock auto, they had the most reasonable price after shipping. I don't have any evidence, but seem to recall reading that they come with synthetic blend. My one oil change so far was with full synthetic (at a little less than 3k miles).

Fidomac

Reaction score

My dealer told me they use semisynthetic per FCA recs...?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I plan on a semi-synthetic change at 1500 miles or thereabouts.

Glad that I don’t have the 2018 F150 with a 5.0 v8 that has been all over the F150 forums for excessive oil use (like down 3-4 qts in 3K or so). Also glad that I am not going to experience what I did on my first oil change in the 2015 (new engine) 2.7 ecoboost, where the Ford techs didn’t let it drain the required 30 minutes and ended up overfilling it by 3 quarts... yep, right at the Ford garage...

So nice to have an “old tech” hemi that the dealer techs understand...

mvfjet

Reaction score
I plan on a semi-synthetic change at 1500 miles or thereabouts.

Glad that I don’t have the 2018 F150 with a 5.0 v8 that has been all over the F150 forums for excessive oil use (like down 3-4 qts in 3K or so). Also glad that I am not going to experience what I did on my first oil change in the 2015 (new engine) 2.7 ecoboost, where the Ford techs didn’t let it drain the required 30 minutes and ended up overfilling it by 3 quarts... yep, right at the Ford garage...

So nice to have an “old tech” hemi that the dealer techs understand...
My 2018 Mustang GT (same 5.0) had rod bearing and camshaft damage at 5600 miles. Needed a new long block so I requested a buy back and was approved. The motor ate about 2 quarts of oil and had the nastiest rattle through out the RPM range. I'm guessing it was rod knock. Ford, never again.

Users who are viewing this thread