5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Owner--First Impressions

Reverendbiker

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new 2020 1500, Lone Star trim, with 5.7 eTorque engine. I wasn’t just dying to get a new truck, but it was about time to retire my Colorado and I knew that vehicle sales were in the crapper and dealerships might be motivated to bargain. Luckily they were able to remain open in Texas and I was able to do about all of the shopping process online. When the smoke lifted I did the deal at $15k under list and they delivered the truck to my door. 2 months and 2k miles later, here are my impressions--I hope they might be valuable to anyone considering the 1500. Overall, I couldn’t be happier. I’ve read about some issues experienced by other owners and was a bit leery about them, but I’ve seen none of them yet. To wit:

-Fuel economy. Most of my driving is light suburban traffic and highway driving on rural roads. According to my Fuelly account, my overall MPG is 19.2. On a 150-mile trip today to my ranch the trip computer read 22.9. In my experience that’s usually about 1 MPG optimistic, but still as good as the EPA estimates. My old V-6 Colorado averaged 21 for its lifetime and I expected the bigger and heavier Ram to get much worse. I’m happy so far.

-The temperature in Texas this week was near 100 and the A/C blew cold consistently. Apparently Ram has corrected the issues in earlier models. Or maybe I just got a freak…

-I didn’t shop to buy the eTorque hemi, but it came with the truck I wanted. I haven’t owned the standard 5.7 so I have no basis for comparison. I don’t like the extra complexity (just something else to break) but thus far I just love this powertrain.

-I dreaded having the auto start/stop feature; my wife’s Audi has it and I turn it off whenever I drive it. I must say, however, that it is much less objectionable in my 1500 and is so seamless that I just leave it on and almost never notice it. Maybe it’s the eTorque. Some owners express concern about the A/C compressor not running while the engine is off, but it’s never been a problem for me even in extreme heat. I discovered by accident that while the engine is auto-off, it will restart immediately if you adjust the A/C control (either temp or Fan).

-The rotary shifter just isn’t an issue for me. It took me about one day to get accustomed to it and I appreciate the room it frees up on the console.

-I regularly tow a 16’ stock trailer to carry cattle to auction. My truck has 3:21 gears and it pulls the load with no problem. I would imagine that the 3:92’s would be nice for a heavier load, but sure aren’t necessary for me.

That’s my experience so far. The rig might fall apart next week, but as for now I couldn’t ask for more. Just my $0.02.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Welcome, enjoy the truck and thanks for the write-up. This forum has a lot of great information.

- Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice review Reverend, these really are great trucks. Thanks for sharing!

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome, it’s nice to read positive thoughts. As said lots of good info and peeps here. Enjoy

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new 2020 1500, Lone Star trim, with 5.7 eTorque engine. I wasn’t just dying to get a new truck, but it was about time to retire my Colorado and I knew that vehicle sales were in the crapper and dealerships might be motivated to bargain. Luckily they were able to remain open in Texas and I was able to do about all of the shopping process online. When the smoke lifted I did the deal at $15k under list and they delivered the truck to my door. 2 months and 2k miles later, here are my impressions--I hope they might be valuable to anyone considering the 1500. Overall, I couldn’t be happier. I’ve read about some issues experienced by other owners and was a bit leery about them, but I’ve seen none of them yet. To wit:

-Fuel economy. Most of my driving is light suburban traffic and highway driving on rural roads. According to my Fuelly account, my overall MPG is 19.2. On a 150-mile trip today to my ranch the trip computer read 22.9. In my experience that’s usually about 1 MPG optimistic, but still as good as the EPA estimates. My old V-6 Colorado averaged 21 for its lifetime and I expected the bigger and heavier Ram to get much worse. I’m happy so far.

-The temperature in Texas this week was near 100 and the A/C blew cold consistently. Apparently Ram has corrected the issues in earlier models. Or maybe I just got a freak…

-I didn’t shop to buy the eTorque hemi, but it came with the truck I wanted. I haven’t owned the standard 5.7 so I have no basis for comparison. I don’t like the extra complexity (just something else to break) but thus far I just love this powertrain.

-I dreaded having the auto start/stop feature; my wife’s Audi has it and I turn it off whenever I drive it. I must say, however, that it is much less objectionable in my 1500 and is so seamless that I just leave it on and almost never notice it. Maybe it’s the eTorque. Some owners express concern about the A/C compressor not running while the engine is off, but it’s never been a problem for me even in extreme heat. I discovered by accident that while the engine is auto-off, it will restart immediately if you adjust the A/C control (either temp or Fan).

-The rotary shifter just isn’t an issue for me. It took me about one day to get accustomed to it and I appreciate the room it frees up on the console.

-I regularly tow a 16’ stock trailer to carry cattle to auction. My truck has 3:21 gears and it pulls the load with no problem. I would imagine that the 3:92’s would be nice for a heavier load, but sure aren’t necessary for me.

That’s my experience so far. The rig might fall apart next week, but as for now I couldn’t ask for more. Just my $0.02.
Nice! I have the 2019 version of yours, I like it. I came from Ford...still like Ford...but haven't been liking their prices lately. The RAM seems to be a good value so far...better than GM for sure lol.

mtbiker033

Reaction score
eTorque is probably the only feature my truck doesn't have, I really wanted it myself as I can appreciate the concept.

I wonder if it can be added as an option from the dealer?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
eTorque is probably the only feature my truck doesn't have, I really wanted it myself as I can appreciate the concept.

I wonder if it can be added as an option from the dealer?
I’m a fan, but it wouldn’t be worth the effort, between mechanical parts, wiring harness, battery, and programming.

Users who are viewing this thread