5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New muffler/exhaust - Performance

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any modification that effects the volume or velocity of exhaust gas has the potential to create more power. 🚀

The efficiency of any exhaust system depends on the overall pressure in the system being as low as possible without affecting the velocity.

If you are never going to get into a higher RPM range on your HEMI you would probably be better off sticking with a stock setup. However, if you want to feel the potential of your HEMI reduce the backpressure and let the engine breathe. :cool: 🔱 (y)

It may or may not increase MPG based on how you drive. :unsure:

Oldphart

Reaction score
It's a truck, guys. More torque is the answer for just about everything you will need, not top end HP. If that's what you want, get a Challenger SRT or something similar. Reducing back-pressure is a ticket for reduced torque and MPG. If there was a Tri-Y header setup available, that would be the ticket along with a 2" exhaust.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that on my truck. I changed only the muffler and with that it changed my down pressure which lowered my MPG's haha.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a truck, guys. More torque is the answer for just about everything you will need, not top end HP. If that's what you want, get a Challenger SRT or something similar. Reducing back-pressure is a ticket for reduced torque and MPG. If there was a Tri-Y header setup available, that would be the ticket along with a 2" exhaust.
Here is a good article that explains the misconceptions of backpressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online