5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JohnProvident

Reaction score
Well, I’ve had this truck for 3 weeks now and I’ve already put 2,000 miles on it. What can I say I love this truck lol.

Here’s an update of all I’ve done so far in 3 weeks.

First thing I did was I went to install the Bilstein B8 5100 rear shocks. As me and a friend were looking at the back of the truck it looked like the left side of my truck was leaning down to the left. We moved it out of the drive for fear of his drive way being unlevel but even still it was leaning to the left. Even measured, my truck sits 1.5 inches lower on the left. It looked to us like there was a problem with the spring. So before touching the suspension we called it quits that day and I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the back spring on the ldrivers side was broken. They ordered 2 new ones and will install both for me at no cost.

Bilstein B8 5100 front.
A few days after the rear suspension incident me and my same friend went and installed the Bilstein B8 5100 shocks to level the front. Easy process. Besides the coils lol. We had a hand spring compressor that just seemed too sketchy as we slowly cranked down on those bolts. The all threads on each side looked bent and like they’d snap at any next turn of a bolt. So we called it quits for sake of safety. I called around immediately to 3 different car shops asking if they’d literally just compress the springs and swap out the shocks for me as I already have my truck jacked and taken apart.

The first 2 said they were too busy at 2pm on a Friday and could do it a different day. Which wasn’t an option for me.

The third guy was a local neighborhood guy that I’d always seen driving around a 4th gen ram with a 10 inch lift. His response to my request was literally “we are super backed up right now, but what can I say you’re lifting your ram, bring everything down”. So he swapped the shocks and charged me $50 for it.
The rest was easy peasy.

I went with J2 engineering upper control arms compatible for up to 4 inches of lift. Seem much better than the oem plastic UCAs I replaced.

I installed the red rock 4x4 rebel style grille. I love it. So much more aggressive and the LEDs look great IMO. Install was timely but not complicated at all. The instructions tell you to cut your DRL wire and tap directly into that. And just in case anyone needs to know, the DRL wire on the OEM LED headlight harness is the orange and white wire.

But this wire only gets 6v. So the grille lights were running very dim since they need 12v. So I then cut the grille lights from the DRLs and ran it directly to the headlight fuse. So now they shine bright and only when the headlights come on which I like better because I don’t need the amber lights running in the day and hopefully this will get me a little More life out of them.

Wheels
I went with mayhem voyager wheels. 18x9. Cheapest ones I could find that I actually like. I went with 295/70 R18 Nitto Recon Grapplers in the back and Nitto Terra grapplers in the front. The only reason I did that is because I found the Terra grappler used with more than half their life left for $100 a piece while I paid $360 for the brand new ones in the back. Seemed worth it to me. No rubbing with any tires what so ever. No trimming or anything.

I def will go a little bigger next time. I think these tires measure at 34.46 inches or something like that. Maybe even less. So they’re not really even a 35 inch tire.
But they don’t look bad.

LasFit dome and map lighting
$50 bucks worth every penny. Totally changes the interior at night and took 15 min to install.

Attachments

• LS0A2051-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
    LS0A2051-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 44
  • LS0A2062-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
    LS0A2062-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread