5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's on my Longhorn.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As the title says, I recently put new MT Baja Boss AT's (LT275/60R20) on my 2019 Longhorn.

I have the ORP & Bilstein 5100's front and rear, with the fronts on setting #2, so very little lift. I'm running them right around 42psi and the ride is stiffer, but better than expected. I was really worried I'd be riding like a Heavyduty, but it's not that bad at all. Also, there is very little hum going do the highway, again, I was expecting a pretty decent hum from these AT's as they're pretty aggressive for an AT tire. I've dropped about 1 - 1 1/2 mpg (hwy) on the last two tanks (hand calc with speed difference accounted for). Being one size up, LT275/60R20 vs OEM 275/55R20, the speedometer is just shy of 2 mph off at 70.

344270307_922332645763700_7625602425444969717_n.jpg 344562659_3463145454007130_5003225712482556147_n.jpg 343194846_765165721675343_4521937456586611043_n.jpg

Before: The OEM Falken's lasted 50k miles and were just down to the wear bars on all 4 (rotated every 10k).
20210831_152045.jpg

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great!

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Those are good tires, they'll last you a long time. I had the same thing on my 21 Trailboss. They were a little stiff for me but not bad.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You didn't list the size you are running

Davidbt

Reaction score
I've been trying to choose between those and the Discoverer AT3's. I don't really need a winter type tire here in South East Arizona.

Reldn

Reaction score
Looking sharp! I'm running Baja Boss ATs on my Ram as well. It always surprises me how quiet they are for an aggressive AT.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did get some tire rubbing last weekend! ..but it was an extreme case I doubt I'll ever be able to repeat it again.

I had my enclosed trailer loaded to roughly 8,500 lbs of motorcycles & gear. To leave the place we loaded everything up, I had to maneuver this lumbering beast, in an S-curve, around two other trucks in a very narrow U shaped driveway. This driveway was also sloped downhill at a pretty good angle towards the road. So if you have Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs (275/60R20), are maneuvering in an S-curve around two other vehicles, on a sloped driveway, with a 8,500lb trailer attached.. you will have slight rub at full lock. :unsure:

Not the actually spot, but a pic of the setup after we got home.
20230603_051417.jpg

Last edited:

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
I did get some tire rubbing last weekend! ..but it was an extreme case I doubt I'll ever be able to repeat it again.

I had my enclosed trailer loaded to roughly 8,500 lbs of motorcycles & gear. To leave the place we loaded everything up, I had to maneuver this lumbering beast, in an S-curve, around two other trucks in a very narrow U shaped driveway. This driveway was also sloped downhill at a pretty good angle towards the road. So if you have Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs (275/60R20), are maneuvering in an S-curve around two other vehicles, on a sloped driveway, with a 8,500lb trailer attached.. you will have slight rub at full lock. :unsure:

Not the actually spot, but a pic of the setup after we got home.
View attachment 160955
Fellow Longhorn owner here! I've learned some things about this tire in my research. In fact I've learned way too much about tires in general but here's what I've found... Mickey Thompson Baja Boss and Cooper Rugged Trek are similar tires, with some sizes being the same tire with only different tread and sidewall patterns (Goodyear owns both now). At the 275/60R20 both run 33.4", making them the largest of this metric size of any tire i've found. What attracted me to this 33" size is it's the largest tire that you can get in a standard load (with 2 exceptions - Nitto Recon and Pirelli Scorpion have 34s in an SL). That is in the standard load, which weighs only 48lbs. You got the LT version which may look the same but honestly is a completely different tire. The crazy thing is the weight difference! Anyways, I'm considering putting the SL version on my Longhorn, but looks like the Coopers are $40 cheaper so I'll prob go with either those or the Nitto Recons.

Nice looking truck. Mine is black, air, no ORP. I'm adding daystar spacer with adjustable links to front and back to go mostly level (want to keep .5 to 1" rake i think). What do you use on the wheels? They are growing on me but I want them SHINY as I have chrome bumpers, grill, and mirror which i like. At 33.4" you're really only about an inch less than most "35" inch tires which tend to only run about 34.5.

1711632863204.png

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fellow Longhorn owner here! I've learned some things about this tire in my research. In fact I've learned way too much about tires in general but here's what I've found... Mickey Thompson Baja Boss and Cooper Rugged Trek are similar tires, with some sizes being the same tire with only different tread and sidewall patterns (Goodyear owns both now). At the 275/60R20 both run 33.4", making them the largest of this metric size of any tire i've found. What attracted me to this 33" size is it's the largest tire that you can get in a standard load (with 2 exceptions - Nitto Recon and Pirelli Scorpion have 34s in an SL). That is in the standard load, which weighs only 48lbs. You got the LT version which may look the same but honestly is a completely different tire. The crazy thing is the weight difference! Anyways, I'm considering putting the SL version on my Longhorn, but looks like the Coopers are $40 cheaper so I'll prob go with either those or the Nitto Recons.

Nice looking truck. Mine is black, air, no ORP. I'm adding daystar spacer with adjustable links to front and back to go mostly level (want to keep .5 to 1" rake i think). What do you use on the wheels? They are growing on me but I want them SHINY as I have chrome bumpers, grill, and mirror which i like. At 33.4" you're really only about an inch less than most "35" inch tires which tend to only run about 34.5.

View attachment 179973
Wow, what a weight difference! I also look for weight, but I've never seen this spread much before. We may complain of trailer sway, but of course the SL tire is rated for 5300+lbs on the rear axle, when the axle itself is rated at 4100lbs. At full axle load, the tire is not affected at all by speed, temp, or load etc.

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
Wow, what a weight difference! I also look for weight, but I've never seen this spread much before. We may complain of trailer sway, but of course the SL tire is rated for 5300+lbs on the rear axle, when the axle itself is rated at 4100lbs. At full axle load, the tire is not affected at all by speed, temp, or load etc.
Yes, i've been really looking at SL rated tires at the largest possible sizes. The jump from SL rated tires to LT tires in "E" class is huge. You'll see similar things with Nitto Recon Grappler who make a tire that's 275/65r20 in SL. It's the largest SL rated tire and only weighs 48 lbs. The same tire in LT is close to 60 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread