5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member shopping for trucks

John Galt

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Been lurking on this forum for a while, but I think I've finally decided to ditch the 2019 Durango RT and get a truck. My wife and I have been looking at RV's and while the Durango can tow some, the choices are kind of limited.

I've been trying to get some good info on setting up a truck for good towing capacity, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there. For me, 4WD and V8 are a must, but I'm not sure about gear ratios and bed length.

It appears that I NEED the 3.92 rear end to get over 8200 lbs, but do I NEED the longer bed? I know the longer wheelbase helps, but the difference isn't really that huge, so does it matter?

I'm also pretty disappointed that Stelantis killed the non-hybrid Hemi - it got me looking at the F150 just because I can get it without the hybrid BS. I test drove a 1500 Limited and the F150 Platinum. Equipped with similar options they're about the same price. I really do like the Limited more, but the hybrid motor gives me pause.....but so did the door rattle in the brand new F150 for almost $80k that I test drove - it's exactly that lack of attention to detail and inability to address things like that that pushed me away from Ford years ago.....so right now the Ram is still leading.

Once I figure out what I want, I'm most likely going to have to order it from the factory - are there any forum associated dealers that members use? I'm in Texas, but I'm willing to take a little excursion out of state if the price is right. I know there are a few on the HD Rams forums with decent pricing even on factory orders...but I haven't really looked at the 1500's yet.

I admit I haven't bought new vehicles since 2019, but I was pretty surprised that a dealership that had so much truck inventory that I couldn't drive through the lot still had sales people that insisted that "everybody pays full sticker" plus the "non-negotiable fees" they tack on because of "tough times". Looked to me like nobody was buying. I guess that's tough.

So....hi, and let's see if I can join the Ram club!

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

John Galt

Reaction score
Thanks! That’s excellent. Same place as HDRams.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not to steer you away from Ram, but they have the same kind of quality control issues. My multi-function tailgate would not stay open on my driver side and I had to fix myself with washers, there is wind noise with recirc on and 2 dealerships claim they hear nothing (louder then the radio set on volume 8), I get water leaking through the door seals, and a bunch of other random things.

I would say the etorque is a better choice then Ford if you are getting one of those trucks with a turbo. Way cheaper to repair this system then that.

As someone else said get the truck from Mark Dodge. They go way under sticker price. Depending on where you live the dealerships thug you into thinking they are the best and to pay this price. I drove my truck home 1700 miles right when gas shot up due to the war in Ukraine and paid for a plane ticket and hotel 4 days in advance and I still saved thousands of dollars vs getting it locally (within 300 miles)

If you just plan on towing you might want to look at 2500s or even 3500s. They still have the 6.4 without etorque (hybrid)

John Galt

Reaction score
You said 8200 pound trailer, might be better with a 2500 or 3500. Just to be safe
No I did not. I said some 1500’s have a tow rating around 8200 lbs while others are around 11500 and I was trying to decipher why. I think it comes down to the 3.92 rear end and I’m unsure if the bed length matters.

My aim is to get one outfitted for 11000+ lbs and keep my trailer under 9000. Probably WAY under.

The RVs I’m looking at are in the 7000 lbs range and no longer than 27’.

I originally started with the HDs but this will also be my daily driver and a 2500 is just too much work for daily driving to tow an RV ~8-10 times a year. If we end up doing much more than that I’ll probably upgrade the whole thing and get a 5th wheel.

immersivenc

Reaction score
No I did not. I said some 1500’s have a tow rating around 8200 lbs while others are around 11500 and I was trying to decipher why. I think it comes down to the 3.92 rear end and I’m unsure if the bed length matters.

My aim is to get one outfitted for 11000+ lbs and keep my trailer under 9000. Probably WAY under.

The RVs I’m looking at are in the 7000 lbs range and no longer than 27’.

I originally started with the HDs but this will also be my daily driver and a 2500 is just too much work for daily driving to tow an RV ~8-10 times a year. If we end up doing much more than that I’ll probably upgrade the whole thing and get a 5th wheel.
Based on the specs you are providing- get a 2500. You will be much happier for towing.

John Galt

Reaction score
Based on the specs you are providing- get a 2500. You will be much happier for towing.
that may just be the next trade in a couple of years if my wife and I decide we like taking the RV places and decide to upgrade to a 5th wheel....for now I think the 2500 is just going to be too big and too expensive. For daily driver I'd rather have a 1500 limited than a 2500 Lone Star.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something to know about the F150 that many don't. The lower curved design of the doors have the bottom drain holes almost parallel with the ground. If you park outside, tree debris will get into the door and block the drains, causing the doors to fill up with water. I know many people with newer F150s and this is an issue. Also, many people complain of a air whistle due to the design of the mirrors. I found a fix for it, but I got tired of making adjustments to a new truck. I also pulled my sill plates and found the electrical channel full of water. Mine was a 2018 and the dash was warping right at the windshield. It turns out that the the F150 is plagued with water intrusion issues. I lemon lawed my truck with about 7k miles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
that may just be the next trade in a couple of years if my wife and I decide we like taking the RV places and decide to upgrade to a 5th wheel....for now I think the 2500 is just going to be too big and too expensive. For daily driver I'd rather have a 1500 limited than a 2500 Lone Star.
You realize if you get a Limited you payload is going to be even less?
If you are getting this to tow you are better off getting a bighorn or Tradesman.

Getting a 1500 Limited to tow is risky imo.

Loudram

Reaction score
You realize if you get a Limited you payload is going to be even less?
If you are getting this to tow you are better off getting a bighorn or Tradesman.

Getting a 1500 Limited to tow is risky imo.
There is a ton of good advice in this thread but this comment is something many overlook. The more options the truck has the less it's payload. If you get a limited don't worry about getting the 3.92 rear unless you want it for the fun factor. You'll never get near the towing limit. You'll be out of payload long before you reach the towing limit. A 3.21 rear will be fine. A 27' trailer@ 6000 lbs dry (7000 lbs loaded) is very realistic for a 1500 provided you have the payload. Depending on the layout it'll have a tongue weight of between 600 lbs and 800 lbs. Front kitchen units typically have a higher tongue weight. And that's before you fill up the front pass thru which is your main storage. My brochure tongue weight on my trailer is 650. My actual tongue weight is between 900 and 950. So when you figure that and camping gear, firewood, cooler, passengers and anything aftermarket you add to the truck like step bars, tonneau cover, and weight distribution hitch you can see how fast payload gets eaten up.

That said my trailer is 29' 6000 lbs dry 7100 lbs loaded and my old truck ('19 1500 Express Classic QC 6'4" bed) handled the trailer with ease. No sway no issues but I have a top of the line weight distribution anti sway hitch. The Weigh Safe True Tow hitch. I have not towed with my current truck yet. I bought it in October but I don't foresee any issues. All the numbers work out so far. I just have to weigh the truck to see what the true payload is. Compared to my last truck it does has a higher payload and longer wheelbase but a lower tow rating of 8230 lbs w/3.21 rear vs my '19 with 10600 lbs w/3.92 rear. Our last trailer was a similar weight but 33' long and the Classic handled that fine too. A 2500 wouldn't hurt but for what you're looking at you don't need one yet.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
If you really don’t want the e-Torque, look for a leftover 2022 or used. You may sacrifice on getting exactly what you want, but just make sure you get the 33 gallon tank. I would agree a Limited is probably not your best option if you are looking for max payload.

John Galt

Reaction score
There is a ton of good advice in this thread but this comment is something many overlook. The more options the truck has the less it's payload. If you get a limited don't worry about getting the 3.92 rear unless you want it for the fun factor. You'll never get near the towing limit. You'll be out of payload long before you reach the towing limit. A 3.21 rear will be fine. A 27' trailer@ 6000 lbs dry (7000 lbs loaded) is very realistic for a 1500 provided you have the payload. Depending on the layout it'll have a tongue weight of between 600 lbs and 800 lbs. Front kitchen units typically have a higher tongue weight. And that's before you fill up the front pass thru which is your main storage. My brochure tongue weight on my trailer is 650. My actual tongue weight is between 900 and 950. So when you figure that and camping gear, firewood, cooler, passengers and anything aftermarket you add to the truck like step bars, tonneau cover, and weight distribution hitch you can see how fast payload gets eaten up.

That said my trailer is 29' 6000 lbs dry 7100 lbs loaded and my old truck ('19 1500 Express Classic QC 6'4" bed) handled the trailer with ease. No sway no issues but I have a top of the line weight distribution anti sway hitch. The Weigh Safe True Tow hitch. I have not towed with my current truck yet. I bought it in October but I don't foresee any issues. All the numbers work out so far. I just have to weigh the truck to see what the true payload is. Compared to my last truck it does has a higher payload and longer wheelbase but a lower tow rating of 8230 lbs w/3.21 rear vs my '19 with 10600 lbs w/3.92 rear. Our last trailer was a similar weight but 33' long and the Classic handled that fine too. A 2500 wouldn't hurt but for what you're looking at you don't need one yet.
after spending more time looking at trailers I think 6000 lbs was a bit of an over-estimate. most of what I'm liking so far is in the 5000's for weight and under 26'

Since I'm probably looking at max 6-8 trips a year to startI really want to avoid a 2500 as a daily driver for now so I'd rather adjust my trailer purchase than the truck. From what I can see even a fully loaded a Limited can still have about 11000 pounds towing and at least 700 lbs tongue weight....should be enough if I don't get too crazy on the trailer....but I see what you mean with a 700 pound tongue weight, no way I'm getting anywhere near 11000 pounds.

Loudram

Reaction score
after spending more time looking at trailers I think 6000 lbs was a bit of an over-estimate. most of what I'm liking so far is in the 5000's for weight and under 26'

Since I'm probably looking at max 6-8 trips a year to startI really want to avoid a 2500 as a daily driver for now so I'd rather adjust my trailer purchase than the truck. From what I can see even a fully loaded a Limited can still have about 11000 pounds towing and at least 700 lbs tongue weight....should be enough if I don't get too crazy on the trailer....but I see what you mean with a 700 pound tongue weight, no way I'm getting anywhere near 11000 pounds.
700 lbs payload is nothing. You don't have to answer this publicly but how much do you and your wife weigh? Subtract that from the 700 lbs and that's your starting payload. Example 200 for you, 100 for your wife minus payload leaves 400 lbs for trailer tongue weight. Advertised tongue weight only includes empty propane bottles. It does not include the battery 50 to 60 lbs or 40 lbs (2x20 lbs) of propane. That's 100 lbs added onto the advertised or brochure tongue weight before you add anything. Then there is gear in the front of the trailer and stuff in there front pass thru. That's your main storage. Trust me, it adds up fast. I'm on my 4th trailer. I've been doing this a while. I'm trying to save you some grief. You're right, you don't need a 2500 but you do need a properly equipped 1500. I pack light and my tongue weight is 300 lbs over the brochure weight. 100 is propane and a battery. The other 200 is a clothes for the weekend and a few things under the bed, and an upgraded mattress (we have a front bedroom model) and the basics in the front pass thru like a couple of chairs, utility hook up gear, wheel chocks, grill. Just the basics.

Do yourself a favor and please take a hard look at my numbers and examples.

John Galt

Reaction score
All right! I’m convinced.

Doesn’t look like there’s enough benefit to trading my Durango for a 1500 for increased towing so I’ll just stick with what I got.

Loudram

Reaction score
All right! I’m convinced.

Doesn’t look like there’s enough benefit to trading my Durango for a 1500 for increased towing so I’ll just stick with what I got.
There actually is. In addition to increased towing the is also the wheelbase issue. I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that had a Hemi. It could tow fine but it didn't have the wheelbase to tow anything longer than 24' or 25'. Any longer and it would be a case of the tail wagging the dog. A Ram has a much longer and wider wheelbase and can handle a longer trailer.

There's a lot to towing and most people don't know what they are doing or don't care. Hats off to you for wanting to do your homework. That's what we're here for as well. To help straighten out the learning curve a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread