5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member, Preparing to Order

RJS

Reaction score
A lot like my 19 Laramie except I don't have the e-torque nor safety group. I wanted the Level 2 interior for the ventilated seats and heated, reclining rears in the crew cab - Good decision. I didn't want the brake controller as all the U-haul trailers have surge brakes but not a bad idea to get one. Take the previous advice and don't get the tow package, you will lose the electric folding mirrors and they are great for parking in tight spaces. I have the 3:21, by choice, and I've pulled the largest u-haul trailer over 700 miles one way loaded and you can hardly tell it's back there.
I won't buy without the sunroof, a lot of light in the winter and great ventilation in the summer. The running boards are a personal choice but I like the Mopar ones that don't fold, they ward off a ton of small car door dings as they hit the board before the door and those will be problems around colleges and medical buildings. 33 gal. tank - good, posi - good but neither a deal breaker with the newer traction controls and 4X4 auto, if you get 4 wheel drive which I highly recommend for drive-ability and resale, on these vehicles. I have the 33 gal tank. I wanted posi, but the truck that had everything else I wanted didn't have it and it's not a big deal anymore here in Michigan winters.
I like buying off the lot as it let's me drive it for a lot of miles before I buy it but you can do that if you order one also.

As a thought, I don't know if you will be a GP or specialize but thanks for taking the time and effort to go to med school, lord knows we need all the good doctors we can get.

derp

Reaction score
There's been a fair amount of discussion on the air suspension not holding up well in freeze climates. From what I have read the system doesn't have a moisture purge and ice can build up and damage the valves for the system. you may want to consider some kind of aftermarket way of keeping out the moisture from the air system or purge.

The sunroof has had a good number of posts for users with cab leaks. make sure whatever you get has a good long leak test before you take ownership.

If I were to recommend to anyone to buy a ram, I'd strongly suggest they hold off for a bit to let FCA sort out their QC problems in build. Also, vet out the service department of the dealership you intend on using. I have had awful service support.

I would also get a commitment from the dealership to scrub the vehicle during pre-sale for all of the outstanding TSBs before you take delivery. I would also suggest you get that in writing. I felt a particularly nasty burn when I was making payments on a truck that was in the dealership shop for issues they could have fixed before I bought it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
There's been a fair amount of discussion on the air suspension not holding up well in freeze climates. From what I have read the system doesn't have a moisture purge and ice can build up and damage the valves for the system. you may want to consider some kind of aftermarket way of keeping out the moisture from the air system or purge.
I'm pretty sure I've read that the air suspension on the new trucks has been redesigned. The issues I've seen relate to the Gen 4s.
If there were any widespread problems, I believe we would have seen them by now. A lot Gen 5s have been in service for almost two years now, and I would assume that if there were issues, we would have heard about it from our Canadian neighbors by now. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Granted, someone will come here and post that they've had this or that issue, but I am talking widespread, engineering failures that start affecting the air suspension once the temps get in the negative range, and we have just not seen this here.

Cheers,

myles

Reaction score
Highly recommend the limited slip differential/E-Locker
Hi Guys,

Thank you for welcoming me to your forum. I have questions as I am currently very seriously considering ordering a RAM 1500 in the next 2 months. Being in med school I am going to be moving around for the next 5-10 years frequently and want the utility of a pickup truck. I am currently on my third Jeep (2013 JKU family still has, and a 2014 WK2 Altitude that was bought back under lemon law and a 2017 Limited Hemi 4x4) and the lease is ending soon so I figure it is time for a change.

I will not be towing much with the truck other than an occasional UHaul and some jet skis. I am in the Northeast so I am going for a 4x4 and I know I want another V8 after having it for the past 3 years.

My Build:
1500 Laramine Crew Cab 4x4 5 ft 7 in bed
5.7 V8 eTorque
Patriot Blue
Lt Frost Brown Bucket Seats
Dual Pane Moon Roof
Advanced Safety Group
Laramine Level 2 (I really only want Level 1 but can't get the safety pack with just level 1)

The build comes out close to 60k which is fine but I was wondering if you guys can review my order and tell me your thoughts. Am I missing any important options. I want a spray in bed liner but I don’t see a stand alone option for that. Is the eTorque worth the $200 over the standard hemi. I love the idea of the air suspension I have had it in the past, and my mother has it in her XC90 and I love it but I can't see it being too useful for a truck that I will be mostly driving highway and not towing with.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

- Highly recommend the LSD/E-Locker
- Cant speak for E-Torque, I got the 3.0 ecodiesel for the mileage
- recommend 3.21 gears if you aren't going to be towing much
- Advanced safety group is pretty neat if you like technology, the adaptive cruise control is the coolest part, but don't expect the car to drive itself
- 33 gallon fuel tank is very convenient if you do a lot of driving
- trailer brake controller for $300 is a good deal if you will use it, depending on where you live, here in SoCal it will be about $400 to have an aftermarket one installed
- dealer should be able to get a bed liner done for you but they are usually more expensive than if you find a small shop that does it
- tried an air suspension at the dealer, its very slow, dont expect to open the door and have it already lowered, takes about 20-30 seconds, you will definitely be standing waiting for it, I got mine with power steps which drop about 7". And the ride seemed equivalent to the regular coil spring suspension. For me there was no benefit to getting the air suspension.
- Ramboxes, won't ever buy another truck without them, they add a ton of lockable storage. But not necessary if you don't like to carry a bunch of random things.

I didn't know this when i ordered mine but if you are getting the limited slip differential (LSD)/E-locker you may as well get the off road package for an extra $300/$250 which comes with a 1" lift, E-Locker, off road shocks and skid plates, A/T tires, all kinds of goodies. Really wish the dealer told me that because i would have gotten it. Feel like an idiot for not reading the full description on the website when i ordered

brewdad

Reaction score
I’m trying to keep the price down and avoid items I won’t use daily/need. Engine block heater isn’t too necessary since it’s in a garage and I won’t bSe using the trailer brake at anytime. I am trying to figure out the cost for a bed liner post factory and the cost from the factory but I still can’t find it as an option.
Spray in bed liner for Laramie trim is included in the bed utility group; if you want advanced safety group, the e-torque hemi is a requirement for the Laramie.

PaGregSS

Reaction score
Adding wide running boards serves a dual purpose. They act like full length mud flaps and keep all sorts of crud from being thrown against the paint. I hear stuff banging of mine all the time. Especially the cinders that they dump on the roads.

Users who are viewing this thread