5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member, Preparing to Order

runjumpfit

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thank you for welcoming me to your forum. I have questions as I am currently very seriously considering ordering a RAM 1500 in the next 2 months. Being in med school I am going to be moving around for the next 5-10 years frequently and want the utility of a pickup truck. I am currently on my third Jeep (2013 JKU family still has, and a 2014 WK2 Altitude that was bought back under lemon law and a 2017 Limited Hemi 4x4) and the lease is ending soon so I figure it is time for a change.

I will not be towing much with the truck other than an occasional UHaul and some jet skis. I am in the Northeast so I am going for a 4x4 and I know I want another V8 after having it for the past 3 years.

My Build:
1500 Laramine Crew Cab 4x4 5 ft 7 in bed
5.7 V8 eTorque
Patriot Blue
Lt Frost Brown Bucket Seats
Dual Pane Moon Roof
Advanced Safety Group
Laramine Level 2 (I really only want Level 1 but can't get the safety pack with just level 1)

The build comes out close to 60k which is fine but I was wondering if you guys can review my order and tell me your thoughts. Am I missing any important options. I want a spray in bed liner but I don’t see a stand alone option for that. Is the eTorque worth the $200 over the standard hemi. I love the idea of the air suspension I have had it in the past, and my mother has it in her XC90 and I love it but I can't see it being too useful for a truck that I will be mostly driving highway and not towing with.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thank you for welcoming me to your forum. I have questions as I am currently very seriously considering ordering a RAM 1500 in the next 2 months. Being in med school I am going to be moving around for the next 5-10 years frequently and want the utility of a pickup truck. I am currently on my third Jeep (2013 JKU family still has, and a 2014 WK2 Altitude that was bought back under lemon law and a 2017 Limited Hemi 4x4) and the lease is ending soon so I figure it is time for a change.

I will not be towing much with the truck other than an occasional UHaul and some jet skis. I am in the Northeast so I am going for a 4x4 and I know I want another V8 after having it for the past 3 years.

My Build:
1500 Laramine Crew Cab 4x4 5 ft 7 in bed
5.7 V8 eTorque
Patriot Blue
Lt Frost Brown Bucket Seats
Dual Pane Moon Roof
Advanced Safety Group
Laramine Level 2 (I really only want Level 1 but can't get the safety pack with just level 1)

The build comes out close to 60k which is fine but I was wondering if you guys can review my order and tell me your thoughts. Am I missing any important options. I want a spray in bed liner but I don’t see a stand alone option for that. Is the eTorque worth the $200 over the standard hemi. I love the idea of the air suspension I have had it in the past, and my mother has it in her XC90 and I love it but I can't see it being too useful for a truck that I will be mostly driving highway and not towing with.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

I would definitely add rear wheel house liners a must have if you’re up in the northeast plus they look so much better. Trailer brake controller which you probably won’t need with what you plan to tow, but fairly inexpensive option to add in case you ever tow something larger. If you order the trailer brake controller make sure you order the stand alone option and not the trailer tow package. If you order the tow pack you’ll get the big tow mirrors and lose the surround view camera. Also, depending on what you want for running boards I personally would add the Mopar retractable ones from the factory. All three of those items are much cheaper to order than to add later. I would also consider the limited slip axle. Good luck I’m sure you’ll love the truck!

jimk hunt

Reaction score
I'd also delete the sunroof. Seems like a good idea but I almost never open mine. 33 gallon tank and bed step for sure and consider the black seats instead of frost. The black will hide dirt much better.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im on the opposite side of the Pano. Get one, I use mine all the time, including Michigan winters. Go test drive a similarly equipped Limited. I bought mine, with with all the options to include HK, retractable steps, heated cooled rear seats, advanced safety group, bed liner, pano, 4x4, v8 (no etorque) for $53K in December of 2018. I think you can get all the options for less in a limited package, vs the Laramie.

runjumpfit

Reaction score
The Pano roof is a no negotiation option for me. I use my Jeep's sunroof all the time and always take the top off the wrangler every chance I get.
Im on the opposite side of the Pano. Get one, I use mine all the time, including Michigan winters. Go test drive a similarly equipped Limited. I bought mine, with with all the options to include HK, retractable steps, heated cooled rear seats, advanced safety group, bed liner, pano, 4x4, v8 (no etorque) for $53K in December of 2018. I think you can get all the options for less in a limited package, vs the Laramie.

Why no to the eTorque. The Hemi in my Jeep is thirsty but I expect this to be the same for the truck or slightly better considering not full time 4x4.

I'd also delete the sunroof. Seems like a good idea but I almost never open mine. 33 gallon tank and bed step for sure and consider the black seats instead of frost. The black will hide dirt much better.

Can't do the black. Had black so many times and I always prefer the lighter color. Plus it is not as common.

In regards to running boards, I was thinking of just doing the factory ones non power deploying. However, if I do get the air suspension I will not have to worry about that because I will set it to lower once parked, similar to my jeep.

Is there a independent option to order a spray in bed liner or is it only the bed utility group?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Pano roof is a no negotiation option for me. I use my Jeep's sunroof all the time and always take the top off the wrangler every chance I get.

Why no to the eTorque. The Hemi in my Jeep is thirsty but I expect this to be the same for the truck or slightly better considering not full time 4x4.

Can't do the black. Had black so many times and I always prefer the lighter color. Plus it is not as common.

In regards to running boards, I was thinking of just doing the factory ones non power deploying. However, if I do get the air suspension I will not have to worry about that because I will set it to lower once parked, similar to my jeep.

Is there a independent option to order a spray in bed liner or is it only the bed utility group?
Had auto start/stop in the Raptor I traded in, absolutely hated it, so I opted for no etorque (which has auto start/stop).

Jyates04

Reaction score
Love the Auto start stop on mine. Im in NH and have to second the rear wheel liners. its crazy how much it keeps out of the underside of the truck. only thing I wish I had on mine was the pano roof!

runjumpfit

Reaction score
Just watched a couple videos about the air suspension. I think It makes sense to get since I wont have to put on running boards and I get the wheel well covers. The easy entry level is very appealing.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched a couple videos about the air suspension. I think It makes sense to get since I wont have to put on running boards and I get the wheel well covers. The easy entry level is very appealing.
Be aware, the air takes it sweet time to transition. But the ride quality is phenomenal IMO.

Turin

Reaction score
I'd add the anti-spin differential rear axle. That's less important if you stick with the 3.21 gear ratio vs the 3.92 but still beneficial on slick roads. Based on your location you may want to consider the engine block heater as well. Personally, I'd add the trailer brake controller. I don't think you need one for the smaller U-Haul trailers but you do for the larger ones. Edit: UHaul trailers have surge brakes.
Whatever you do; do not get the tow package — that deletes power-folding mirrors and the 360 camera.

Add rear wheelhouse liners to protect your wheel wells from salt and debris. I have no idea why those aren't standard, but they're not. I recommend the wheel-to-wheel side steps over the power running boards. The power running boards are definitely cooler but the fixed side steps help protect your rocker panels from road debris. (After you get the truck, put mud flaps on it; the Weathertech ones are popular.)

Add the bed step. It makes getting in and out of the bed much easier and it looks like you plan to do a lot of moving. You should be able to add a spray-in liner from the factory. I remember it being an option when I ordered, though I didn't get it. I recommend considering a Bedrug as an alternative to a spray-in liner. It might be better suited for your use case.

You'll have to decide for yourself on eTorque and air suspension; there are numerous threads around here with endless debate. I strongly considered both but eventually decided against either — eTorque because the cost was high for the supposed benefit in mileage; air suspension because in my test drive it was actually rougher in cold (sub 20° F) weather.

Last edited:

runjumpfit

Reaction score
I'd add the anti-spin differential rear axle. That's less important if you stick with the 3.21 gear ratio vs the 3.92 but still beneficial on slick roads. Based on your location you may want to consider the engine block heater as well. Personally, I'd add the trailer brake controller. I don't think you need one for the smaller U-Haul trailers but you do for the larger ones. Whatever you do; do not get the tow package — that deletes power-folding mirrors and the 360 camera.

Add rear wheelhouse liners to protect your wheel wells from salt and debris. I have no idea why those aren't standard, but they're not. I recommend the wheel-to-wheel side steps over the power running boards. The power running boards are definitely cooler but the fixed side steps help protect your rocker panels from road debris. (After you get the truck, put mud flaps on it; the Weathertech ones are popular.)

Add the bed step. It makes getting in and out of the bed much easier and it looks like you plan to do a lot of moving. You should be able to add a spray-in liner from the factory. I remember it being an option when I ordered, though I didn't get it. I recommend considering a Bedrug as an alternative to a spray-in liner. It might be better suited for your use case.

You'll have to decide for yourself on eTorque and air suspension; there are numerous threads around here with endless debate. I strongly considered both but eventually decided against either — eTorque because the cost was high for the supposed benefit in mileage; air suspension because in my test drive it was actually rougher in cold (sub 20° F) weather.
I’m trying to keep the price down and avoid items I won’t use daily/need. Engine block heater isn’t too necessary since it’s in a garage and I won’t be using the trailer brake at anytime. I am trying to figure out the cost for a bed liner post factory and the cost from the factory but I still can’t find it as an option.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Keep in mind that some things that are a minor expense now, will be hugely expensive to add later on, as some here have discovered.
Not saying your build will not, have them, but just double and triple check, as somethings are not very clear, like losing surround camera view and power folding mirrors w/ trailer tow mirrors, or deciding you want the larger fuel tank, power steps, etc, etc, etc.

Cheers,

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
The feature I wanted more than anything else was the Rambox. I know that they have warping issues, but I feel this feature is something really unique and useful. People who have it seem to love it, and I believe I will too. Despite this, they are very difficult to find in my area - especially on a Big Horn (I prefer cloth seats in a truck), so after a lot of research on this forum, I finally put in my order a couple weeks ago.

I elected to skip e-torque after initially wanting the feature because, while I think the technology is a great idea, it just doesn't seem like it helps real world economy all that much. I went with the 3.21 instead of the 3.92 because I don't plan to tow anything significant, however I do think the 3.92 would be much more fun to drive around town. I'll likely add a Sprintbooster to remedy this. I have used them on other vehicles in the past and they do a great job of making the vehicle feel a bit faster, even though it really isn't. That should satisfy my desire for a bit more pep around town, but also preserve my highway fuel economy.

I skipped the $900 bed utility group, because I don't really need the divider and tie downs, and will just get an aftermarket Line-X done for $500. I also added the anti-spin rear end, rear wheelhouse liners, the 9-speaker Alpine system, and blind spot/cross path detection for when my father-in-law borrows the truck.

The MSRP is definitely in Laramie territory, but again, I prefer cloth seats in a truck so Big Horn was the way to go for me. The one feature I think I'll really miss is the passive entry. I'm hopeful in a couple years, someone on here will be able to hack it on the Big Horns and then I can add it later. Until then, I'm anxiously awaiting my build to arrive.

Good luck!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Air suspension versus coil spring suspension ride was basically identical on my test drives. I had air susp. on my 2017 Rebel, and it was a love/hate relationship. I decided against it on my Laramie because I live in a cold winter climate, and there have been a lot of issues with it in cold weather.

The e-torque was not a deal-breaker for me, but I would have preferred not to have it. I do not like the start/stop feature, and turn it off every time I start my truck. Wish there was a way to permanently disable it in the settings.

I would recommend the multi-function tailgate. Take a look at one if your dealer has a truck equipped with it. I haven't heard any negative comments about it, other than an issue finding tonneau covers for them. There is extra bracing in the bed (non rambox) which interferes with the mounting hardware.

runjumpfit

Reaction score
Keep in mind that some things that are a minor expense now, will be hugely expensive to add later on, as some here have discovered.
Not saying your build will not, have them, but just double and triple check, as somethings are not very clear, like losing surround camera view and power folding mirrors w/ trailer tow mirrors, or deciding you want the larger fuel tank, power steps, etc, etc, etc.

Cheers,
Absolutely will niyou be getting the tow pack as I want the power folding and 360. Power step isn’t for me, I looked at it at a dealer today and felt the step in height will be fine with air because I will use Easy entry exit for my dogs.

The feature I wanted more than anything else was the Rambox. I know that they have warping issues, but I feel this feature is something really unique and useful. People who have it seem to love it, and I believe I will too. Despite this, they are very difficult to find in my area - especially on a Big Horn (I prefer cloth seats in a truck), so after a lot of research on this forum, I finally put in my order a couple weeks ago.

I elected to skip e-torque after initially wanting the feature because, while I think the technology is a great idea, it just doesn't seem like it helps real world economy all that much. I went with the 3.21 instead of the 3.92 because I don't plan to tow anything significant, however I do think the 3.92 would be much more fun to drive around town. I'll likely add a Sprintbooster to remedy this. I have used them on other vehicles in the past and they do a great job of making the vehicle feel a bit faster, even though it really isn't. That should satisfy my desire for a bit more pep around town, but also preserve my highway fuel economy.

I skipped the $900 bed utility group, because I don't really need the divider and tie downs, and will just get an aftermarket Line-X done for $500. I also added the anti-spin rear end, rear wheelhouse liners, the 9-speaker Alpine system, and blind spot/cross path detection for when my father-in-law borrows the truck.

The MSRP is definitely in Laramie territory, but again, I prefer cloth seats in a truck so Big Horn was the way to go for me. The one feature I think I'll really miss is the passive entry. I'm hopeful in a couple years, someone on here will be able to hack it on the Big Horns and then I can add it later. Until then, I'm anxiously awaiting my build to arrive.

Good luck!

Totally agree on the Bed Utility Group. I’ll never need a 3.92 but I def want the leather.
Air suspension versus coil spring suspension ride was basically identical on my test drives. I had air susp. on my 2017 Rebel, and it was a love/hate relationship. I decided against it on my Laramie because I live in a cold winter climate, and there have been a lot of issues with it in cold weather.

The e-torque was not a deal-breaker for me, but I would have preferred not to have it. I do not like the start/stop feature, and turn it off every time I start my truck. Wish there was a way to permanently disable it in the settings.

I would recommend the multi-function tailgate. Take a look at one if your dealer has a truck equipped with it. I haven't heard any negative comments about it, other than an issue finding tonneau covers for them. There is extra bracing in the bed (non rambox) which interferes with the mounting hardware.

I think I’m gonna do air to avoid needing running boards and to make it easier on my dogs. We ordered our XC90 with air suspension just so the rear dumps down to make it more pet accessible

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely will niyou be getting the tow pack as I want the power folding and 360. Power step isn’t for me, I looked at it at a dealer today and felt the step in height will be fine with air because I will use Easy entry exit for my dogs.

Totally agree on the Bed Utility Group. I’ll never need a 3.92 but I def want the leather.

I think I’m gonna do air to avoid needing running boards and to make it easier on my dogs. We ordered our XC90 with air suspension just so the rear dumps down to make it more pet accessible
Keep in mind, Entry Exit will need to be manually pressed each time you exit. It will not automatically lower when you power off the truck.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't know if it will help you. It is 2019 and the you need to scan in and move around to see what's available. Let us know what you are looking for in the Ram.

Attachments

• 2019 Ram eBrochure-Ram-DT-Catalog-2019.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 4

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Keep in mind, Entry Exit will need to be manually pressed each time you exit. It will not automatically lower when you power off the truck.
And I should add that the power steps are truly great... Such an awesome feature. I’ve known about them for years but never thought they were so handy (love the clean look when retracted).

Manual easy entry every time you get in and out of your truck manually could get really old for me, very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread